The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics Unit 4d 15 marker

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how I would approach answering this question;

"Why have 'shallow' ecology strategies tended to be adopted rather than 'deep' ecology strategies?"
Reply 1
Hi!

So I'd go about answering it with a short introduction giving a definition of shallow and deep ecology (shallow belives in sustainable growth in line with thinking about environmental impact if it is one's interest to do so whereas deep ecologists believe in a complete transformation of the whole world system - they believe the current system tends towards environmental abuse so we must basically start all over again).

Then I'd talk about shallow ecology tending to be adopted because firstly, no country wants to be the first to completely change their system to help the environment - it harms TNCs and businesses that abuse the environment. Secondly, a whole system change is so expensive and it requires the whole world to cooperate because climate change is a global issue it cannot be resolved through one national government. This then throws in the whole controversy with sovereignty and countries like China saying that the West have abused massively in the past and now its their turn etc. So shallow ecology strategies have been adopted which allow governments to basically change some policies that are in their interest/don't cost too much money which may slightly improve the environment e.g. the banning of cfcs.

Hope this is helpful,

Ellese
Reply 2
Original post by ElleseG
Hi!

So I'd go about answering it with a short introduction giving a definition of shallow and deep ecology (shallow belives in sustainable growth in line with thinking about environmental impact if it is one's interest to do so whereas deep ecologists believe in a complete transformation of the whole world system - they believe the current system tends towards environmental abuse so we must basically start all over again).

Then I'd talk about shallow ecology tending to be adopted because firstly, no country wants to be the first to completely change their system to help the environment - it harms TNCs and businesses that abuse the environment. Secondly, a whole system change is so expensive and it requires the whole world to cooperate because climate change is a global issue it cannot be resolved through one national government. This then throws in the whole controversy with sovereignty and countries like China saying that the West have abused massively in the past and now its their turn etc. So shallow ecology strategies have been adopted which allow governments to basically change some policies that are in their interest/don't cost too much money which may slightly improve the environment e.g. the banning of cfcs.

Hope this is helpful,

Ellese

That is quite helpful, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending