The Student Room Group

Thinking of going vegan. Advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Humans need animal protein though, the only people that can be OK without it are the ones that do ZERO exercise whatsoever, you know what hair, skin, teeth and muscles are made out of? It's called amino acids and animal meat is the best source of amino acid so shut your mouth

You seem very aggressive, maybe calm down a little? It's only an online forum afterall.
Original post by Mrs.Grey
Google Vegan bodybuilders mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea there's this wallad called Vegan Gains who is well-hated in the fitness industry.

(edited 7 years ago)
Done that a million times, homie

Un-cooked, still living flesh still on the cow :tongue:
Humans need animal protein though, the only people that can be OK without it are the ones that do ZERO exercise whatsoever, you know what hair, skin, teeth and muscles are made out of? It's called amino acids and animal meat is the best source of amino acid so shut your mouth

Like someone has said google vegan body builders. There is literally an instagram with vegans who are ripped af. You aren't educated about veganism at all.
Yea there's this wallad called Vegan Gains who is well-hated in the fitness industry. He's also the reason I hate vegans

what a tw*t

He's one in many however he's still ripped though so proves you don't need animal protein after all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yea there's this wallad called Vegan Gains who is well-hated in the fitness industry.

You just answered your own dumb comment? You said you need animal proteins unless you don't do any exercise? Well look theres a vegan who obviously exercises and body builds who you already knew. All of your arguments, if they can even be called that, make no sense.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by idontknowmedoyou
Like someone has said google vegan body builders. There is literally an instagram with vegans who are ripped af. You aren't educated about veganism at all.

Uneducated yet seems to have such a hatred. I don't understand hostility towards vegans myself. You seem relatively well informed so if you don't mind me asking, for someone who is considering going vegan, what is the best way (in your opinion) to transition so that it is sustainable long term?
You just answered your own dumb comment? You said you need animal proteins unless you don't do any exercise? Well look theres a vegan who obviously exercises and body builds who you already knew. All of your arguments, if they can even be called that, make no sense.

The point I'm making is that his physique is crap for a bodybuilder!

Now this guys eats a whole family of chickens in a day

Spoiler

I am vegan (coming up to 2 years). I recommend transitioning by replacing dairy / egg products with alternatives slowly. For example, find a vegan chocolate you like instead of normal chocolate, try all the plant-based milks to find one you like (I originally only tried soya and rice milk which put me off, then I discovered oat milk which I love). You can live a very healthy lifestyle on a vegan diet, but make sure you get enough of certain vitamins - particularly B12. If you drink fortified plant milks or eat soya yogurts (check the back as some aren't fortified, such as the organic ones) then this shouldn't be a problem. I've never needed to rely on supplements.

Supermarkets are great for free from stuff but make sure you read the labels as some stuff is free from dairy but not egg, and sometimes the free from stuff is not even vegetarian. There are lots of freezer veggie burgers and sausages that are also vegan, also a few quorn products are vegan (clearly labelled with a big vegan sign). I recommend joining some of the vegan facebook groups as they're great for advice and finding out about products.

Also, vegan ice cream is the best!

Spoiler

But steroids could also be in the picture.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by AlesanaWill
I am vegan (coming up to 2 years). I recommend transitioning by replacing dairy / egg products with alternatives slowly. For example, find a vegan chocolate you like instead of normal chocolate, try all the plant-based milks to find one you like (I originally only tried soya and rice milk which put me off, then I discovered oat milk which I love). You can live a very healthy lifestyle on a vegan diet, but make sure you get enough of certain vitamins - particularly B12. If you drink fortified plant milks or eat soya yogurts (check the back as some aren't fortified, such as the organic ones) then this shouldn't be a problem. I've never needed to rely on supplements.

Supermarkets are great for free from stuff but make sure you read the labels as some stuff is free from dairy but not egg, and sometimes the free from stuff is not even vegetarian. There are lots of freezer veggie burgers and sausages that are also vegan, also a few quorn products are vegan (clearly labelled with a big vegan sign). I recommend joining some of the vegan facebook groups as they're great for advice and finding out about products.

Also, vegan ice cream is the best!

Thank you! This was really helpful :smile:
Don't.
But you're argument is what? Humans don't need meat and human teeth cannot rip animals apart like a carnivore or omnivore such as a tiger? Our teeth are more similar to the picture you have shown then the carnivore one or a omnivores teeth such as a tiger? You have just proved my point that humans don't have sharp teeth, humans have teeth closer to the image you put. Humans don't need meat to survive/

If anything, we should be comparing humans to our closely related primate species. For example, if one looks at a bonobo's teeth, they look fairly similar to our own teeth. When we examine their diet, they eat mostly fruit, nuts etc.., but they also do consume some animal products such as insects and small mammals. Seeing that our teeth are also quite similar, they would most likely have been used for similar purposes among our early human ancestors. Human teeth for example are perfectly well adapted for eating insects.

Original post by Hann95
Uneducated yet seems to have such a hatred. I don't understand hostility towards vegans myself. You seem relatively well informed so if you don't mind me asking, for someone who is considering going vegan, what is the best way (in your opinion) to transition so that it is sustainable long term?

Exactly, its sad that people have this negative view of veganism. And thank you, I try to be well informed about it:biggrin: The best way to transition would probably be to take it slow if you drop all animal products at once you may start to get a lot of cravings and give in, but if you take it slow you will start to find alternatives and will find it easier to handle. For example, you could give up meat for a month, then fish the next, then dairy products, then eggs, and so on. This way you have a month to find alternatives and get used to not having that animal product:smile: If you have any questions feel free to message me, hope I helped a little:smile:

Spoiler

Thats one body builder you're comparing him to. Look at other vegan body builders. Plus not many people want to be body builders so this isn't really a good argument at all. You said you need animal proteins and we don't, thats it really.
Reply 95
Exactly, its sad that people have this negative view of veganism. And thank you, I try to be well informed about it:biggrin: The best way to transition would probably be to take it slow if you drop all animal products at once you may start to get a lot of cravings and give in, but if you take it slow you will start to find alternatives and will find it easier to handle. For example, you could give up meat for a month, then fish the next, then dairy products, then eggs, and so on. This way you have a month to find alternatives and get used to not having that animal product:smile: If you have any questions feel free to message me, hope I helped a little:smile:

You did, thanks very much :smile:
Reply 96

Spoiler

He's not really a 'bodybuilder' he just likes to lift/keep fit. Now these two are proper vegan bodybuilders:
Massimo Brunaccioni

Jim Morris
Original post by The Epicurean
If anything, we should be comparing humans to our closely related primate species. For example, if one looks at a bonobo's teeth, they look fairly similar to our own teeth. When we examine their diet, they eat mostly fruit, nuts etc.., but they also do consume some animal products such as insects and small mammals. Seeing that our teeth are also quite similar, they would most likely have been used for similar purposes among our early human ancestors. Human teeth for example are perfectly well adapted for eating insects.

Honestly I cannot disagree with you. Human teeth are hugely similar, it shows human teeth are not made to rip animals apart much like a lion would.
Reply 98
Good on you for wanting to go vegan :smile:
Best decision I ever made tbh
But think about doing it long term because it's the best thing for your health, the environment and the animals! And if you do it right (high carb low fat) then you'll get even more benefits.

Dairy doesn't make any sense to me. We are the only species that drinks milk past infancy, and the only species that drinks the milk from another species. It's really not good for you, and it makes no sense to say that we need the nutrients that milk gives us, because we aren't supposed to drink it in the first place. Also it's incredibly damaging to the environment and contributes massively to the meat industry which kills billions and billions of animals per year.

Also we aren't supposed to eat meat, as others have said about the teeth thing. We are frugivores but we are an opportunistic species which helped us to survive, but obviously we don't need to eat everything anymore because we buy our food in supermarkets so it's best to eat what we were meant to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply 99
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
So I'm a vegetarian and I've been really interested in veganism. After my final exam next week I'm going to try going vegan but I'm nervous I'm going to have a mental breakdown because I love cake from Tescos way too much and I won't be able to have it. And since it's my birthday the week after, I'm a bit nervous because my parents will most probably get non vegan food.

So because I'm starting out I'm considering going vegan only on the weekends and then building my way up. So if there are any vegans are there, any helpful advice?

NOTE- I'M ONLY DOING THIS FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. IT'S NOT A LONG TERM THING.

Honestly, I really don't think you'll benefit that much from just doing it on weekends only (though it's better than not doing it at all!). I think you should gradually replace/take out animal products over time. I suggest cutting out dairy milk for a week, then cheese the next week e.t.c Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest