The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel French 2016

Hiiiii,

So far I've not seen a thread for this years exam, I was wondering how everyone else is preparing for the exam... I'm getting nervous about it now!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Same same i'm just studying history rn so i dont make a mess out of that question and ill do some grammar the day before the exam wbu
Hello :smile: was wondering if you guys have any predictions for the discursive essay/ the research based essay for literature? Thanks x
Reply 3
Original post by beachelsea
Hello :smile: was wondering if you guys have any predictions for the discursive essay/ the research based essay for literature? Thanks x

the research essay for literature might be about describing the main character and how they develop through the book/film as that hasn't come up yet for French
What about for the discursive essay? I think that's the one I'm most worried about because sometimes the questions are worded in such a way that it doesn't really link directly to the course if you get me :/

I think for the RBA I'm okay, my film is 'Intouchable' and I feel pretty confident on that, just going to go back over all my notes again and watch the film again - what is everyone else's film/book?

For translation I'm just doing loads of grammar practice and probably re-do some past paper translations later!
I think the migrant crisis might come up (hopefully)? Perhaps something about political situations considering the EU debate and general election etc? I'm sure you'll be okay whatever happens :smile:
Reply 6
How horrible was the literature research essay! Secondary characters?! I am doing les intouchables and I mainly concentrated on Driss and Philippe
Original post by emilysoul
How horrible was the literature research essay! Secondary characters?! I am doing les intouchables and I mainly concentrated on Driss and Philippe

OMG I loved that essay! :O We did it in class the week before we broke up so I guess I kinda knew what to write about... not sure my essay was that good tho, I wrote so much for Yvonne that I got so close to the word limit and had to do a small conclusion :/

So yeah I did Yvonne and La Famille de Driss :smile:

I'm sure you did great dw!

Which discursive did you do?
Reply 8
Ah thats so lucky! Yeah I always find its so easy to go past the word count, I hope they don't cut it off at 270 though.For the discursive I did the one about freedom of circulation within the EU, I just brought up some things about immigrants, and for the pros I wrote a tiny bit on human rights and also different cultures from different countries. How about you? :smile:
Reply 9
The discursives were horrible omg :'( I did the freedom of movement in the EU one, but my debate was weak I think, was expecting a health/lifestyle or youth culture at the least!! My conclusion was saying that I agree but I understand that others disagree and tied the referendum into it.
Film essay was good, wasn't expecting minor characters but knew exactly what to say, as a media student as well I try and grab extra marks in french and spanish my applying theoretical film terminology :')
Translation was okay but I made loads of stupid mistakes: didn't know carefully so put lentement, messed up the present tense in the first line bc i didn't know how write it without changing the meaning, and I got the word for dress wrong
Safe to say I'm not going to uni now :')
Original post by Toby007
The discursives were horrible omg :'( I did the freedom of movement in the EU one, but my debate was weak I think, was expecting a health/lifestyle or youth culture at the least!! My conclusion was saying that I agree but I understand that others disagree and tied the referendum into it.
Film essay was good, wasn't expecting minor characters but knew exactly what to say, as a media student as well I try and grab extra marks in french and spanish my applying theoretical film terminology :':wink:
Translation was okay but I made loads of stupid mistakes: didn't know carefully so put lentement, messed up the present tense in the first line bc i didn't know how write it without changing the meaning, and I got the word for dress wrong
Safe to say I'm not going to uni now :':wink:

To be honest, I think there was a lack of variety in the discursives, they all seemed really political when in the past it has been things like 'should holidays be only for relaxing' I mean what a contrast! To say careful i just put 'avec caution' because I don't know the word either (found out it is 'prudent':wink: but it seemed to fit. I definitely failed the last essay because I panicked and wrote about the two main characters hahaha. Actually it sounds like you did pretty well :smile:
My discursive was bad tho, yeah three of them were v EU based and the monarchy or republic one our head of languages said they'd sneakily put in their because monarchy and government is a unit on the new syllabus... My arguments for that essay just had no development and accuracy will be awful bc I didn't have enough time to check it through
Someone in my year put soigneusement for carefully which is actually a word :'(
Thanks and I'm sure you've done well too :wink: I just hope they don't penalise you too heavily for the film essay
Original post by Toby007
My discursive was bad tho, yeah three of them were v EU based and the monarchy or republic one our head of languages said they'd sneakily put in their because monarchy and government is a unit on the new syllabus... My arguments for that essay just had no development and accuracy will be awful bc I didn't have enough time to check it through
Someone in my year put soigneusement for carefully which is actually a word :'(
Thanks and I'm sure you've done well too :wink: I just hope they don't penalise you too heavily for the film essay

Let's wait and see for results haha, I reckon I could always retake next year, I feel they may not just mark my film essay but oh well aha. soigneusement! i guess that's sort of logical as soin is care but i didnt think of it! For the discursive i would worry too much as there is such a narrow word limit that there just isnt room for development, I only get about 50 words in per paragraph which is nothing!
Yeah literally, hope it's alright, can you retake A2?
Original post by Toby007
Yeah literally, hope it's alright, can you retake A2?

I bloody well hope so aha! I see no reason why I couldn't, I know they are changing the whole A level mechanism next year but still, i doubt they would take away the retakes.
Reply 15
Hi everyone,

What questions came up on the research- based question for the historical essay? Please answer ASAP

Thank you
Original post by emilysoul

hili
I'm doing intouchables for my 2017 exam , i know this was last years thread but do you in anyway still have notes or essays you have written for this movie ?? or any tips as to how you revised it . I'm really stuck !!
Original post by aisha266
hili
I'm doing intouchables for my 2017 exam , i know this was last years thread but do you in anyway still have notes or essays you have written for this movie ?? or any tips as to how you revised it . I'm really stuck !!

Oh my oh my this was the worst exam of my life, although a fantastic movie, don't get me wrong! I think last years exam was a particularly tricky one for me personally, as the essay required us to write about two SECONDARY characters, on whom I had lacked research haha. However, it is incredibly unlikely that it'll crop up in this years. I can't say what question you could get but I have a few tips for your revision (although bear in mind everybody learns differently).
I'm sure you have, but be sure you watch the movie as many times as you can, it might get boring and you will probably know it off by heart by the end, but so worth it. Also make sure you have the subtitled version; I actually used both English and French subtitles so you can really get to grips with key lines and themes.

Whilst watching the film, have a notepad and write down all the themes you can find e.g. friendship, equality, humour, handicap, lifestyle, music, love, these are all the basics. Try to expand on them using references to the film (quotes are great)

Go through the past papers since they started doing les intouchables, and write practice essays (feel free to use notes and the film to help) and look up sample essays. They generally repeat one of four possible questions every year, you will notice this in the other past papers.

I feel I'm probably straying off your point so message me if you need any more tips!

Emily xo
Does anyone have a prediction on what the research-based essay will be? Also is anyone doing Les mains sales??
Hey hey, for my A2 Edexcel French exam I'm doing Intouchables (this will be in June 2018). Does anyone have any idea on what question could potentially come up? Also are there any notes I could find on that?Thankyou :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending