The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics Pure Core 4 MPC4 - 17th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThusSpakeAlex

I think you will lose marks for incorrect coefficients but would get a few for consequential. Def lose A1 (final answer) mark for the expansion though

I did different method for the vectors. I got 4/3 for lamda as only one value but added and subtracted half of that to the position vector of intersection

And also I'm c0balt and not cobalt
(edited 7 years ago)
Does any one remember exactly what q3 was
What was the method for the binomial expansion on question 1? Was it to use the partial fractions you made in part (a) and then expand those out?

If that is the case, I just realised where I went wrong on that question. Instead I expanded (19x-3), (1+2x)^(-1) and (3-4x)^(-1) and then multiplied them all together. Hence, I got different values to everyone else. Does anyone know whether I would gain any marks for this method?
Original post by Yo12345
Ffs, would I only lose one mark for getting costheta as 92/140 and not 52/140 as I got the sign wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think so, it did say you have to simplify it too though (to 13/35)
Original post by will181
What was the method for the binomial expansion on question 1? Was it to use the partial fractions you made in part (a) and then expand those out?

If that is the case, I just realised where I went wrong on that question. Instead I expanded (19x-3), (1+2x)^(-1) and (3-4x)^(-1) and then multiplied them all together. Hence, I got different values to everyone else. Does anyone know whether I would gain any marks for this method?

Yes that first one's the method they were looking for.
It should have given you the same answer, in all the algebra something may have gone wrong. But the method works, so you should get some credit.
Original post by ValerieKR
Yes that first one's the method they were looking for.
It should have given you the same answer, in all the algebra something may have gone wrong.

Probably. Hopefully I might still be able to pick 3 marks out of that.
Would 66 be an A* do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the integration question where u had to integrrate the Ax + B + C etc...

I got a negative answer in front of the ln x and a negative number added to it e.g -30/45 - 20/7 ln (....)

is that right
Original post by C0balt
I think you will lose marks for incorrect coefficients but would get a few for consequential. Def lose A1 (final answer) mark for the expansion though

I did different method for the vectors. I got 4/3 for lamda as only one value but added and subtracted half of that to the position vector of intersection

And also I'm c0balt and not cobalt

I did OD = OA + CB cos C was on line1 so I worked out the coordinates of C and therefore D. Then I worked out DC then found the distance of DC and equaled it to third of distance of AB. I got some weird decimal answer. How many method marks would I get. Im sure i calculated in right
Original post by C0balt
I should think so. I'm not too sure whether you'd get 7/7 or lose a mark for the second part however, I haven't studied maths mark scheme as much as with science subjects lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol are you talking about biology cos i do dat too
Can anyone show how the last part of the vector Q was done. i know i did it completely wrong, but interested to see how it was done
Original post by Yo12345
Can someone say what ums I would be on. I got around 55 in C3 and 66 in C4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Too early to start thinking about that. you probably didnt do exactly as you thought so no point thinking about it :biggrin:
Does someone has the Vector question or the paper?

I'd like to attempt it.
Original post by crimson1234
Can anyone show how the last part of the vector Q was done. i know i did it completely wrong, but interested to see how it was done

I did it by using that AB was three times as big as CD so AB was 4root35 i think and CD was 4root35/3. Then i realised the intersection (i called it P) was the midpoint so i worked out a vector equation for CD (was something like 3-3y, -5+5y, -1+y but i dont remember exactly). Then i worked out the modulus of that which gave you a quadratic which i set equal to (4root35/6)^2 and then solved it giving me 1/3 and 5/3☺ hope that makes sense☺
From unofficial make schemes I think I got 73 on C3 and anywhere between 54-60 on c4 (I can't remember some of my answers.) do you think I might still get an A*? I need an A* in maths 😭
Original post by maisym00
From unofficial make schemes I think I got 73 on C3 and anywhere between 54-60 on c4 (I can't remember some of my answers.) do you think I might still get an A*? I need an A* in maths 😭

Why would you even ask that, you know that's an A* 🙄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by omarharoun3
Why would you even ask that, you know that's an A* 🙄

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I don't, because everyone's saying C4 was really easy so the grade boundaries would be really high. It freaked me out
I only think I got around 55 on this due to not being able to do the last question and dropping stupid marks through panic and lack of time :frown: and I think I got about 40 on core 3. Please can you tell me what UMS you think this might be.
Original post by SaadKaleem
Does someone has the Vector question or the paper?

I'd like to attempt it.

I'm not sure of my answer but the whole method makes senseImageUploadedByStudent Room1466237434.459615.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1466237450.935677.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by so over it
I only think I got around 55 on this due to not being able to do the last question and dropping stupid marks through panic and lack of time :frown: and I think I got about 40 on core 3. Please can you tell me what UMS you think this might be.

83% UMS on C4
65% UMS on C3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending