The Student Room Group

Brexit Myths dissected- taking down remainers 1 by 1

1. The economy has crashed.

This is simply false. There was an initial (expected) drop in the market indexes, but it has strongly recovered during the day. In fact, the FTSE 100 is now higher than it was on Monday.

2. 16/17 being able to vote could have swung the referendum.

Leave won by 1.3m votes. Even if EVERY SINGLE 16/17 year voted in favour of remain, we would have still left.

3. Old people shouldn't have been able to vote.

This is simply disgusting, I didn't expect the bremainers to sink this far. They are legally adults, they have paid their taxes and in many cases fought for our country. How dare you say that they shouldn't have a vote, when you still live off your parent's back and the state.

Apologies if you are a bremainer who has taken the result on their chin and accepted that it is a democratic process. However I am just fed up with the nonsense from some people.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by richpanda

This is simply false. There was an initial (expected) drop in the market indexes, but it has strongly recovered during the day. In fact, the FTSE 100 is now higher than it was on Monday.

Leave won by 1.3m votes. Even if EVERY SINGLE 16/17 year voted in favour of remain, we would have still left.

This is simply disgusting, I didn't expect the bremainers to sink this far. They are legally adults, they have paid their taxes and in many cases fought for our country. How dare you say that they shouldn't have a vote, when you still live off your parent's back and the state.

Apologies if you are a bremainer who has taken the result on their chin and accepted that it is a democratic process. However I am just fed up with the nonsense from some people.

If you're just fed up with some people, why are you intent on taking down Remainers "1 by 1"?
Reply 2
Also... well... we haven't left the EU yet. So it's a little early to start proclaiming "See, it's fine!"
Reply 3
Original post by offhegoes
If you're just fed up with some people, why are you intent on taking down Remainers "1 by 1"?

I sense some SALT
Reply 4
I sense some SALT

Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty?

I'm a SALT 2 fan myself.

In all seriousness, no. I was making a genuine response to your post. It is possible to be unhappy with the outcome and still express valid, considered points on the matter. Or is that the new Leave retort? Whenever a Remainer voices dissatisfaction you'll all cry "Salt!" just like you cried "Scaremongering!"

I'd love for you to debunk Scotland's inevitable 2nd referendum and the fact that they are now very likely to leave.

The economy has not crashed. Hot money closing down open exchange positions is not the economy.

The economy has stalled. Several residential and commercial property transactions my firm is handling have gone off today due to Brexit.

We are worrying whether we will be laying off conveyancing staff in the weeks or months ahead.
You can't deny that Vote Leave ran their campaign with very little regard for silly concepts like "facts" and "honesty". If the public were well informed instead of being lied to we'd have seen a Remain result.
Reply 8
Original post by Tabstercat
You can't deny that Vote Leave ran their campaign with very little regard for silly concepts like "facts" and "honesty". If the public were well informed instead of being lied to we'd have seen a Remain result.

Thats the problem. Brexiters are uneducated and ignorant. See, how do you like that generalisation OP?
Reply 9
1. I've seen very few people who have said that. However the risk is real - We are possibly facing bankruptcy. And its far too early to debunk that claim right away.

2. Most people are saying that they should have been allowed to vote.

3. The main argument is that it isn't their future so why should they vote. Especially when the younger generation wanted in. You havent countered that.

Overall this thread has been about straw mans and you picking and choosing the arguments of a remain campaigner. Fail.

Who was expecting the pound to fall faster than any currency in history? No, FTSE 100 is back up because it's a volatile market, but stock markets are down across the world, we're about to lose our credit rating, AND WE HAVEN'T EVEN LEFT YET. The real fun comes when we officially tell our single biggest trading partner to **** off.

Nobody should have been able to vote. That's not how our democracy works, for a good reason. Our EU membership wasn't even an issue a year ago, before people decided to stir the pot and bring out a scapegoat for us all to hate.

We live in a representative democracy. Most people can't understand the details of complex decisions like this, and even the people that could often won't bother. We shouldn't have a referendum every time the tabloids decide it's time to get upset about something. We pay politicians £80k a year because understanding the implications of something like this is a full time job.
Original post by drogon
1. I've seen very few people who have said that. However the risk is real - We are possibly facing bankruptcy. And its far too early to debunk that claim right away.

2. Most people are saying that they should have been allowed to vote.

3. The main argument is that it isn't their future so why should they vote. Especially when the younger generation wanted in. You havent countered that.

Overall this thread has been about straw mans and you picking and choosing the arguments of a remain campaigner. Fail.

1) The UK is not facing bankruptcy. That is literally hyperbole of the highest order. It would take decades of poor economic growth and large deficits before we're even in the 'possibly facing bankruptcy' zone.

2) There's a thread on TSR somewhere that claims 16/17 year olds would have swung the vote and has about 40 up reps.

3) It has been countered. You can't cherry pick democracy until you get the results that suit you. You also can't pretend to be liberal and progressive and then argue that old people are lesser beings who's right to vote is invalid because they disagree with you. The idea that it isn't their future is also a joke. What is everyone over the age of 45 going to drop dead tomorrow? They also have kids and grandkids who they'd factor in when making their decision.
Reply 12
Original post by pol pot noodles
1) The UK is not facing bankruptcy. That is literally hyperbole of the highest order. It would take decades of poor economic growth and large deficits before we're even in the 'possibly facing bankruptcy' zone.

2) There's a thread on TSR somewhere that claims 16/17 year olds would have swung the vote and has about 40 up reps.

3) It has been countered. You can't cherry pick democracy until you get the results that suit you. You also can't pretend to be liberal and progressive and then argue that old people are lesser beings who's right to vote is invalid because they disagree with you. The idea that it isn't their future is also a joke. What is everyone over the age of 45 going to drop dead tomorrow? They also have kids and grandkids who they'd factor in when making their decision.

1) We're going to lose our AAA rating. Search it up. Also refer to Jordans post.

2) lol. Are you getting edgy over some upvotes? Either way, the point is that 16 year olds should have been allowed to vote.

3) No it hasnt. We're not cherry picking democracy. The point here is that the older people dont have to live with the consequences of the referendum; the younger generation do. They are often ill informed and are voting in the for sovereignty. Im not talking 45+. Im talking 70+. If they werent allowed to vote and 16 year olds were then it would be a landslide victory for Remain.
Reply 13
Original post by drogon
1) We're going to lose our AAA rating. Search it up. Also refer to Jordans post.

2) lol. Are you getting edgy over some upvotes? Either way, the point is that 16 year olds should have been allowed to vote.

3) No it hasnt. We're not cherry picking democracy. The point here is that the older people dont have to live with the consequences of the referendum; the younger generation do. They are often ill informed and are voting in the for sovereignty. Im not talking 45+. Im talking 70+. If they werent allowed to vote and 16 year olds were then it would be a landslide victory for Remain.

Oh no, our credit rating might be downgraded to AAB, which is as bad as the economic failure known as Australia!

No they shouldn't. The vote also affects 8 year olds, should they be allowed to vote?

They do have to live with it. Do you think that they don't care about their children and grandchildren? They are experienced in life, more so than us.

Original post by JordanL_

Nobody should have been able to vote. That's not how our democracy works, for a good reason.

I can see why they call it the regressive left now.

You tell them Panda!
Reply 15
Oh no, our credit rating might be downgraded to AAB, which is as bad as the economic failure known as Australia!

No they shouldn't. The vote also affects 8 year olds, should they be allowed to vote?

They do have to live with it. Do you think that they don't care about their children and grandchildren? They are experienced in life, more so than us.

You dont understand what credit rating is. Do your research.

Obviously im talking about an age where people are mature. 16 year olds can have sex so why cant they vote? Stop acting dumb.

Assuming they have children, and you're making the assumption that they're not voting in their own personal interest. Too many assumptions to make a substantial claim.

I can see why they call it the regressive left now.

Love how you responded with vitriol and nothing of substance. At least you're not blatantly denying what's happening right now like a lot of others are.
Original post by drogon

Do you know what bankruptcy is? There's a huge huge huge huge stretch from getting your credit rating downgrading by one agency to a level that countries like France, Ireland, Austria and Japan have to bankruptcy.

Original post by drogon

I'm pointing out it was a direct 'takedown' of a thread seen right here on TSR, today.

Original post by drogon

If Scotland and London wasn't allowed to vote then it would have been a landslide victory for Leave. Hell Leave would have won by 100% if I was the only one who was allowed to vote.
There's a democratic consensus in this country. Being salty and demanding we disenfranchise entire groups of people simply because they have a different opinion to you is indeed cherry-picking democracy.
And like I said, old people aren't all going to be dropping dead tomorrow. Of course they're going to live with the decision. Even if they weren't, it still wouldn't matter. It's their country too, that they're literally built. You're like spoilt brat kids demanding their inheritance at 18. No, you get what your parents built when they die and no sooner.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by drogon
You dont understand what credit rating is. Do your research.

Obviously im talking about an age where people are mature. 16 year olds can have sex so why cant they vote? Stop acting dumb.

Assuming they have children, and you're making the assumption that they're not voting in their own personal interest. Too many assumptions to make a substantial claim.

16 year olds are not mature. Sexual maturity is most certainly not proportional to maturity, and it's a bit bizzare that you have linked the age of consent to the voting age. In Spain the age of consent is 13, does that mean 13 year olds should be able to vote in Spain?

Original post by JordanL_
Love how you responded with vitriol and nothing of substance. At least you're not blatantly denying what's happening right now like a lot of others are.

Your entire argument has no substance. You are arguing against democracy in its most simple and effective form, the voice of the people. Gee, I wonder which other nations had such a negative view towards referendums. Couldn't possibly be North Korea, Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy could it?
Original post by alevelstresss
I'd love for you to debunk Scotland's inevitable 2nd referendum and the fact that they are now very likely to leave.

Scotland ain't going anywhere, no matter how much they want to be in the EU. The economic argument for Scottish independence was suspect two years ago; currently, with oil prices in the toilet, it's nonexistent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending