The Student Room Group

How do you get over the regret of not applying to Oxbridge?

I know it sounds silly and completely banal but I just can't stop kicking myself for missing the deadline. I got into an okay university but I just don't feel completely satisfied..

It's all my fault, I know, but the regrets and what ifs won't get out of my mind.

I really hate this and used to scoff at people who felt like this in the past but now I just don't know what to do.

Any advice?

(Not going to actually reapply because I've already taken a gap year)
Reply 1
At least you weren't rejected :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Confusedschubert
I know it sounds silly and completely banal but I just can't stop kicking myself for missing the deadline. I got into an okay university but I just don't feel completely satisfied..

It's all my fault, I know, but the regrets and what ifs won't get out of my mind.

I really hate this and used to scoff at people who felt like this in the past but now I just don't know what to do.

Any advice?

after your degree you could always apply to do a post grad so maybe one day you'll eventually get into oxbridge ... other than that just focus on getting a good degree ranking :smile:
Reply 3

Any advice?

You were on a gap year and missed the deadline. You don't want to re-apply (although you certainly could - it's not compulsory to go to uni aged only 18 or 19).

So either re-apply or move on.

And if Oxbridge still holds some kind of attraction in 3 years time (which it probably won't), apply there for postgrad.
Well there isn't too much of a gap between Oxbridge and the likes of Imperial and LSE.

And even top 10 universities offer great graduate prospects so all is not lost. You've still got a bright future ahead of you :yep: :smile:

And yes it beats being rejected :emo: That got to me a fair bit initially but I'm ok now that I've got a PG place :h:
Reply 5
It's okay they're not that good anyway :wink:

Any advice?

If you're not going to reapply then you don't want it enough. Embrace that and move on with your life.

Any advice?

LSE is by no means 'an okay university'. It is an excellent university. Your angst appears to be causing you to distort the truth.
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
You were on a gap year and missed the deadline. You don't want to re-apply (although you certainly could - it's not compulsory to go to uni aged only 18 or 19).

So either re-apply or move on.

And if Oxbridge still holds some kind of attraction in 3 years time (which it probably won't), apply there for postgrad.

Do you think the admissions team would be considerably more harsh on someone who's reapplying, after applying during a gap year; as they're 2 years older than most applicants and could have spent that time strengthening their skills for interview?
Reply 9
Original post by Alex621
Do you think the admissions team would be considerably more harsh on someone who's reapplying, after applying during a gap year; as they're 2 years older than most applicants and could have spent that time strengthening their skills for interview?

They aren't trying to be harsh. They are just trying to find students they think will be an academically good fit.

Of course they may expect a little more maturity from a slightly older applicant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by ageshallnot
LSE is by no means 'an okay university'. It is an excellent university. Your angst appears to be causing you to distort the truth.

Not sure the OP actually mentioned LSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Not sure the OP actually mentioned LSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They said they had firmed for Law at LSE in April:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=64430757

Any advice?

Because I know Oxbridge is everything I DON'T want from a university. That's how I don't regret it in the slightest
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by ageshallnot
They said they had firmed for Law at LSE in April:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=64430757

Ah! :smile:

OP - enjoy LSE...
Original post by jneill
Ah! :smile:

OP - enjoy LSE...

Digging, digging, digging... :smile:
Hey guys, thanks for the comments. Hearing all this from someone other than myself really helped me put a better perspective on things! :u:

Quick Reply

Latest