The Student Room Group

Econ

Hi,

I am just here to quickly query something. I had kinda written off LSE for Econ due to its highly competitive nature and my A-Level subject choices so I’m totally fine if it’s not possible at all but I just thought I make sure. So for context I’m predicted 4A*s in Econ, Maths, Accounting and Business. And from my understanding while the grades are good the fact I have no FM and that I took business it will make my chances of an offer highly unlikely. So, can someone offer advice as to wether it’s worth 1 of 5 options and the same for other top Econ Unis(UCL, Oxbridge, Warwick) or if it’s just a complete waste of a choice - again totally fine if not worth just want an honest assessment of my situation, never even thought I’d have a chance at these unis I’ve just have done well in Yr12 and started to enjoy learning

Thanks in advance
Original post by s2715
Hi,

I am just here to quickly query something. I had kinda written off LSE for Econ due to its highly competitive nature and my A-Level subject choices so I’m totally fine if it’s not possible at all but I just thought I make sure. So for context I’m predicted 4A*s in Econ, Maths, Accounting and Business. And from my understanding while the grades are good the fact I have no FM and that I took business it will make my chances of an offer highly unlikely. So, can someone offer advice as to wether it’s worth 1 of 5 options and the same for other top Econ Unis(UCL, Oxbridge, Warwick) or if it’s just a complete waste of a choice - again totally fine if not worth just want an honest assessment of my situation, never even thought I’d have a chance at these unis I’ve just have done well in Yr12 and started to enjoy learning

Thanks in advance

Personal opinon: shoot your shot. One of the worst feelings that you could have is knowing you could have gotten a place, but never bothered applying - regret is not a nice feeling to have.

Econ, Maths, and Accounting are OK subjects. So even if you don't have FM and Business being similiar to Econ, I think you should be OK with the former 3.

Yes, it will be ridiculously competitive, but the worst that can come of it is to receive 5 rejections but still have the 4 A Levels with top grades (assuming you finish with top grades). You can always reapply the year after privately through UCAS, which costs 1 year of time + £10, and have guaranteed grades that you can apply with.
If you wanted, you can also do FM as a private candidate/at a college that accepts 19 year olds/self study whilst doing other things to boost your application during your gap year.

I would recommend picking your first bachelor's with care, as it's a pain to go back doing the correct degree the second time round, and doing postgrads won't help much with work in industry (unless it's required by law for the specific role).
Reply 2
How averse are you to taking a year out if you don't receive offers?
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000
Personal opinon: shoot your shot. One of the worst feelings that you could have is knowing you could have gotten a place, but never bothered applying - regret is not a nice feeling to have.

Econ, Maths, and Accounting are OK subjects. So even if you don't have FM and Business being similiar to Econ, I think you should be OK with the former 3.

Yes, it will be ridiculously competitive, but the worst that can come of it is to receive 5 rejections but still have the 4 A Levels with top grades (assuming you finish with top grades). You can always reapply the year after privately through UCAS, which costs 1 year of time + £10, and have guaranteed grades that you can apply with.
If you wanted, you can also do FM as a private candidate/at a college that accepts 19 year olds/self study whilst doing other things to boost your application during your gap year.

I would recommend picking your first bachelor's with care, as it's a pain to go back doing the correct degree the second time round, and doing postgrads won't help much with work in industry (unless it's required by law for the specific role).

Thanks for this detailed reply. I appreciate the reply and helpful insight. I think I may possibly go for it then as one of my 5 options is Uni of Birmingham - as it would mean I wouldn’t have to move from home - and I expect with my grades I should get an offer from there. So like you say maybe it is just worth going for Oxford, LSE, UCL, Warwick. Also, I think, for example, if I decided to apply to a very good uni for econ but just not as elite as the 4 above(bath, Durham, Bristol) even if I get accepted I don’t think i would go there over Birmingham - despite them being better for econ - whereas if apply to 4 elite ones above if I get 4 rejections I’m in no worse position but 1 acceptance and it’s great.
Reply 4
Original post by s2715
Thanks for this detailed reply. I appreciate the reply and helpful insight. I think I may possibly go for it then as one of my 5 options is Uni of Birmingham - as it would mean I wouldn’t have to move from home - and I expect with my grades I should get an offer from there. So like you say maybe it is just worth going for Oxford, LSE, UCL, Warwick. Also, I think, for example, if I decided to apply to a very good uni for econ but just not as elite as the 4 above(bath, Durham, Bristol) even if I get accepted I don’t think i would go there over Birmingham - despite them being better for econ - whereas if apply to 4 elite ones above if I get 4 rejections I’m in no worse position but 1 acceptance and it’s great.

consider KCL too, its a great economics uni with good employment opportunities after grad.
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
How averse are you to taking a year out if you don't receive offers?

Would really want to tbh. Understand gap years can be productive but I’d rather just stay in education without gap year.
Reply 6
Original post by s2715
Would really want to tbh. Understand gap years can be productive but I’d rather just stay in education without gap year.

ok - in that case apply to oxbridge plus a university you should be confident of getting an offer from once applications open. Look through this years offer threads to see which universities make offers quickly.

Once you’ve received an offer from your less risky option - hopefully within a month or so - you can decide whether to go for ambitious options like Warwick, UCL etc.
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
ok - in that case apply to oxbridge plus a university you should be confident of getting an offer from once applications open. Look through this years offer threads to see which universities make offers quickly.

Once you’ve received an offer from your less risky option - hopefully within a month or so - you can decide whether to go for ambitious options like Warwick, UCL etc.

Can you actually apply for different unis at different times? I thought/presumed you had to apply to all the unis at the same time. Thanks that’s helpful
Reply 8
Original post by s2715
Can you actually apply for different unis at different times? I thought/presumed you had to apply to all the unis at the same time. Thanks that’s helpful

you can - yes. Some schools seem to suggest otherwise. Not sure why.
Reply 9
Original post by Jantaj
consider KCL too, its a great economics uni with good employment opportunities after grad.

Will do. I imagine, like you say, with London location it’s prospects after are good.
Personally I wouldn’t recommend going for all of those unis as a rejection for one will most likely mean rejections from others as well- if I was you I would focus on on 2 maybe 3 from the list
Reply 11
Original post by lushlife889
Personally I wouldn’t recommend going for all of those unis as a rejection for one will most likely mean rejections from others as well- if I was you I would focus on on 2 maybe 3 from the list

Is this usually how it goes? Like if you get rejected by 1 you'll likely get rejected by the others. I would have thought it wouldn't have been so definite like this and more of an equal split, providing your overall application is strong, between offers and rejections due to the element of luck involved.
Reply 12

Why? Lots of people seem to get one or two offers out of the 4.
Reply 13
Original post by s2715
Hi,

Thanks in advance

I would not bother with LSE of Cambridge as your chances are almost zero. Oxford, Warwick and UCL are worth a shot, but only if you also apply to a couple of less competitive courses so you won’t end up with zero offers. Some people with FM and no overlapping courses have ended up with no offers, as economics is so competitive, so make sure that you have proper insurance choices.
Reply 14
Original post by lalexm
I would not bother with LSE of Cambridge as your chances are almost zero. Oxford, Warwick and UCL are worth a shot, but only if you also apply to a couple of less competitive courses so you won’t end up with zero offers. Some people with FM and no overlapping courses have ended up with no offers, as economics is so competitive, so make sure that you have proper insurance choices.

Ok thanks for the reply. Would you say university of Birmingham is a suitable less competitive course?

I’m currently planning on at first just applying to Oxford, Warwick and Birmingham and wait to see if I get an offer from Birmingham as it seems they send out decisions early and hopefully Warwick give me a decision fairly quick. Then as @ajj2000 I can pick my other two unis after based on my situation with the three I’ve applied to. So, if I’ve got an offer from UoB and hopefully had a decision from Warwick I can decide if I want to just go for both of LSE and UCL or maybe two courses with higher acceptance rates, depending on if I’ve received offers or not.
Reply 15
Original post by s2715
Ok thanks for the reply. Would you say university of Birmingham is a suitable less competitive course?

I’m currently planning on at first just applying to Oxford, Warwick and Birmingham and wait to see if I get an offer from Birmingham as it seems they send out decisions early and hopefully Warwick give me a decision fairly quick. Then as @ajj2000 I can pick my other two unis after based on my situation with the three I’ve applied to. So, if I’ve got an offer from UoB and hopefully had a decision from Warwick I can decide if I want to just go for both of LSE and UCL or maybe two courses with higher acceptance rates, depending on if I’ve received offers or not.

Yep, Birmingham will be a reasonably safe option for you given your predictions. Other similar alternatives would be York, Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester etc.

I guess you can apply for three uni and the other two later, but not many people do it that way, maybe because they just want to get it out the way. Also, many decisions, particularly for competitive courses, are not issued until after the 31st Jan application deadline, which might complicate things if you want to hold off to see what you got with the initial choices.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by s2715
Is this usually how it goes? Like if you get rejected by 1 you'll likely get rejected by the others. I would have thought it wouldn't have been so definite like this and more of an equal split, providing your overall application is strong, between offers and rejections due to the element of luck involved.

No I meant that they all look for very specific things and grades -
Original post by s2715

This is an option - however, whilst they say applying to unis early is not advantageous I would disagree as sending early applications in line with oxbridge means they can look at ur application early as well - speaking from experience as I applied early to Bristol and got an offer like a few weeks after when my friend (who had better predicted grades) applied late and they didn’t even reply so he got an automatic rejection - just something to consider
Reply 18
This is an option - however, whilst they say applying to unis early is not advantageous I would disagree as sending early applications in line with oxbridge means they can look at ur application early as well - speaking from experience as I applied early to Bristol and got an offer like a few weeks after when my friend (who had better predicted grades) applied late and they didn’t even reply so he got an automatic rejection - just something to consider

Yeah, tbf I have thought about that as it seems people often get offer pre deadline. So, yeah I get what you mean as surely applying on the general UCAS deadline(end of Jan) you will be at a disadvantage.
Reply 19
Original post by s2715
Yeah, tbf I have thought about that as it seems people often get offer pre deadline. So, yeah I get what you mean as surely applying on the general UCAS deadline(end of Jan) you will be at a disadvantage.

Applying early does not make it more likely that you will get in, but there are some other advantages, such as getting the application out the way so that you can focus on your studies, and you might also get offers early, which psychologically is nice.

Just because you have got an offer early, it does not mean that you have any competitive advantage over someone that applies after you in Jan. If a course requires say AAA, and in the past students with A*A*A have always been given offers, it is safe for that uni to give an early offer to someone who applies with A*A*A. If a student then applies with those same grades in Jan, they will be at no disadvantage, as the uni will know that there are still enough places for them.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending