The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Computer Science at manchester

I currently am predicted 4A* (math,further maths, physics and computer science) and A* in EPQ and have Machester Bsc as my firm. I scored 7 on the tmua as well. I was pooled then rejected from Cambridge and didn't even get an interview with Imperial (not sure what happened there, my school said imperial were reluctant to take our students because we have over estimated our grades the previous year but I am not sure if that is how it works or believe it).

I have already decided I am going to do a masters but this time I will only apply to the US (and maybe oxbridge although I don't think I will apply to any UK unis)

I am unsure what to do if I get 4 A* in my A-Levels:

1) go to Manchester, get my bachelor's and try to come out with the highest grade possible and the highest class rank as well (idk if they do ranks). Then apply to all the top US unis. This is the option I would like to do but I am hesitant because from reading comments from some supposed professors at these top schools on quora, they say admission committees hold extremely high value in the undergraduate school you go to when considering masters applicants. On the other hand, some say it only plays a minor component in your application and its "holistic" as in your work experience, extracurriculars, grades etc. are the most significant part. what I am worried about is if the former is true, even if graduate with a top grade from Manchester, is it good enough to get me onto these top graduate courses? I am scared that because I am not going to a "prestigious" university for my undergraduate degree will significantly affect my application's strength even though I do graduate with a top grade. Although these comments may be coming from elitists as listing your entire academic career on Quora seems somewhat arrogant.

2) reapply whilst at Manchester uni. when consulting the career advisor at my school regarding this option, they said it is "frowned upon" to do such a thing thus the chances of success are extremely slim. Does anyone have experience doing this?

3) not going to uni next year and reapplying. This option seems risky for me because I could just get rejected by Imperial and Cambridge again (and its not worth going to UCL after a gap year in my opinion which is a ui I regret not applying to which I did for a couple of reasons mainly my career advisor saying it is highly likely I would get international fees unlike Manchester where I got home status). Furthermore, taking a gap year does not seem like the most productive approach as a individual , moving "forward" seems to be the most logical option

Overall, I am just anxious that it will be too difficult to get into an ivy level Master's program if I go to Manchester. To be clear, I am not saying Manchester is a bad university in any way, but its perception in foreign countries is truly unknown to me.

Any advice, thoughts and anecdotes would be appreciated.
Reply 1
I think you are over thinking it.
Manchester has an excellent rep for Computer Science and if you like the course, go there and enjoy it.
The masters will come in the future.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by totallyfine
I think you are over thinking it.
Manchester has an excellent rep for Computer Science and if you like the course, go there and enjoy it.
The masters will come in the future.

yeh ur probably right, just don't want to regret my decision in the future
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
I can undertand that. but it is also important not to miss the present through second guessing the future. And you'll find you change over the next few years quite a lot. Which will affect where you want to go and what you want to study.
Manchester will serve you well.
Reply 4
Original post by totallyfine
I can undertand that. but it is also important not to miss the present through second guessing the future. And you'll find you change over the next few years quite a lot. Which will affect where you want to go and what you want to study.
Manchester will serve you well.

I am 100% sure where I want to go, I just wanna know is it worth putting in a lot of effort at manchester to be the best possible applicant, or is it futile and I should just focus on enjoying myself as I put in a lot of effort this time and failed twice with one case me not being able to even demonstrate myself in a interview. I am pretty tired of working hard with nothing to show for it (as people with less subjects and less "rigorous" subjects got into Manchester on the same course at my school with so much less effort so I feel stupid for aiming high in the first place).
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending