The Student Room Group

Government responds to second EU referendum petition

Scroll to see replies

BRITANNIA WILL NEVER BE SLAVES!

[video="youtube;yHNfvJc99YY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHNfvJc99YY&list=RDyHNfvJc99YY#t=18[/video]
Reply 61
Original post by Jammy Duel
Ummm, Wales was 50.3 49.7 on 50% turnout

So you only want reruns when you don't get your way? Considered going to China or North Korea?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Either you're on somethin or we're talking about different referendums?
I'm reffering to 2011 were it was indeed 63.5% to 36.5% with under a 1/3 turnout
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-12648649

But i'm leaning towards you having a visual impairment since i've said repeatedly i don't object to the result per say but how narrow it is as you can only call a couple of point lead democratic in the technical sense as to the people having their say have at least 48% of the demos being poo pooed stretches the definition of the will of the people not to mention 27% not voicing their opinion.

I do find your flippant regard for democracy amusing though, someone doesnt share your opinion you tell lambst them as being wrong and tell them to go to a dictatorship :rolleyes: Oh sweet irony
(edited 7 years ago)
Of the people who could be bothered to vote, a million or so more voted in favour of leaving. Who cares about those who didn't bother showing up? You don't get to ignore the biggest political decision of a lifetime and then do all this complaining after the fact.

I, for one, am glad to see that parliament is upholding the democratic process, and think that the response is perfectly adequate.
Original post by Napp
Either you're on somethin or we're talking about different referendums?
I'm reffering to 2011 were it was indeed 63.5% to 36.5% with under a 1/3 turnout
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-12648649

But i'm leaning towards you having a visual impairment since i've said repeatedly i don't object to the result per say but how narrow it is as you can only call a couple of point lead democratic in the technical sense as to the people having their say have at least 48% of the demos being poo pooed stretches the definition of the will of the people not to mention 27% not voicing their opinion.

I do find your flippant regard for democracy amusing though, someone doesnt share your opinion you tell lambst them as being wrong and tell them to go to a dictatorship :rolleyes: Oh sweet irony

You're showing yourself up again, first reading, now general knowledge and more reading issues. The 2011 extended more powers, it didn't lead to the creation of the Welsh Assembly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its really awful!
Original post by Napp
Say what you will about the initial referendum being 'democratic' and we should abide by it but 4.1 million signatures on this petition is hardly a small number to fob off with an email.
do discuss)

Until it surpasses the 17.5 million leave votes why should we care?
Reply 66
You're showing yourself up again, first reading, now general knowledge and more reading issues. The 2011 extended more powers, it didn't lead to the creation of the Welsh Assembly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sighhh you really aren't reading what i'm writing are you? At best you're taking a very long walk for a short drink of water. Nowhere did I say the 2011 referendum created the Welsh assembly I said it was for devolving further powers to them.

You do seem to be epitomizing the old phrase 'pot calling the kettle black' don't you? I'll put it down to you being tired and not reading properly. Either wayi think i'll call an end to this debate as i'm not going to chaange your mind and you certainly wont change mine.
Good night.
Original post by Napp
Sighhh you really aren't reading what i'm writing are you? At best you're taking a very long walk for a short drink of water. Nowhere did I say the 2011 referendum created the Welsh assembly I said it was for devolving further powers to them.

You do seem to be epitomizing the old phrase 'pot calling the kettle black' don't you? I'll put it down to you being tired and not reading properly. Either wayi think i'll call an end to this debate as i'm not going to chaange your mind and you certainly wont change mine.
Good night.

So in response to the question of whether the assembly SHOULD HAVE BEEN CREATED ON A SINGLE REFERENDUM you cite the irrelevant referendum 14 years later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Original post by Manchester_123
Until it surpasses the 17.5 million leave votes why should we care?

If i've said it once i've said it a thousnd times
1]the petition has 4 million 16 million voted no though which to be frank is a very marginal win for leave hence why I support the idea of having another one so which ever side wins will hopefully win by a majority you could boast of.
2] As i said earlier my issue with this was not persay them essentiallydismissing the petition but sending out a bog standard letter that looks more like a standard PR template.
Reply 69
I am still baffled by the fact the government had no real plan if the country voted leave... The horrendous aftermath we are seeing is not due to us voting to leave the EU but the complacency and piss poor planning of those in positions of power who should have been prepared for all eventualities.
Original post by an_atheist
But the 17-18 million people who voted leave dont count then? The country voted, the majority said leave. Simple as. Dont like it, leave

Hmm. The thing is, huge, constitutional decisions like this usually (in countries with written constitutions) require more than a simple majority to effect. I think it's perfectly valid to question the legitimacy of putting the referendum result into effect.*
Reply 71
Original post by Napp
For instance its rather a tradition in Europe to hold referendums repeatedly to solidify the result.

Yes, I'm quite aware of the EU's love for holding repeat referendums until they get the result they want. It was just one of many factors that influenced me to vote leave.
Reply 72
Original post by Wōden
Yes, I'm quite aware of the EU's love for holding repeat referendums until they get the result they want. It was just one of many factors that influenced me to vote leave.

Technically speaking its the national Governments noteably Ireland and Denmark who hold them I dont believe the EU mandated that countries must have said referendums. Especially given the sporadic list of countries taking part.
Original post by Napp
If i've said it once i've said it a thousnd times
1]the petition has 4 million 16 million voted no though which to be frank is a very marginal win for leave hence why I support the idea of having another one so which ever side wins will hopefully win by a majority you could boast of.
2] As i said earlier my issue with this was not persay them essentiallydismissing the petition but sending out a bog standard letter that looks more like a standard PR template.

You are the type of person who always changes the rules until you get what you want. Referendums have a simple rule, whatever side wins, wins. I'd bet if leave got 60% you would make a petition saying unless leave get 70% we should not leave and so on.

The younger generation are so petty. If you "people" cared so much why did only 30-35% of young people actually turn up to vote. If you guys are too lazy to get off your *** you don't deserve to get what you want. Regards :wink:
Reply 74
Original post by Manchester_123
You are the type of person who always changes the rules until you get what you want. Referendums have a simple rule, whatever side wins, wins. I'd bet if leave got 60% you would make a petition saying unless leave get 70% we should not leave and so on.

The younger generation are so petty. If you "people" cared so much why did only 30-35% of young people actually turn up to vote. If you guys are too lazy to get off your *** you don't deserve to get what you want. Regards :wink:

Ah the vitriol of the Hoi Polloi, very quaint :smile:
Its always cute to see the ignorant and uneducated, such as your self, resorting to lobbing half arsed insults when somebody disgrees with them, especially when you have no clue what you even voted for..
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4184757
(Original post by Manchester_123)
We were absolutely convinced remain would win. All polls said so. I wanted to protest against the establishment though, I wanted to send a message.

I had no idea leave would win, it will not be that bad right? People like you are a prime example for taking the vote away.
Original post by MildredMalone
Weren't a huge number of those "signatures" found to be fraudulant?

Yep, with people using bots to sign it. :wink:
Original post by MildredMalone
Weren't a huge number of those "signatures" found to be fraudulant?

To be fair, at least some have been removed, the Vatican and North Korea for instance still have infeasibly high 41 and 82 respectively, but at least the numbers are now actually possible

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
To be fair, at least some have been removed, the Vatican and North Korea for instance still have infeasibly high 41 and 82 respectively, but at least the numbers are now actually possible

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dont forget Chechnya where I believe turnout was more than 110% the poulation :rolleyes:
Original post by Napp
Ah the vitriol of the Hoi Polloi, very quaint :smile:
Its always cute to see the ignorant and uneducated, such as your self, resorting to lobbing half arsed insults when somebody disgrees with them, especially when you have no clue what you even voted for..
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4184757
(Original post by Manchester_123)
We were absolutely convinced remain would win. All polls said so. I wanted to protest against the establishment though, I wanted to send a message.

I had no idea leave would win, it will not be that bad right? People like you are a prime example for taking the vote away.

Lol, that was a troll. I voted leave and am so proud about it. The best part about it is seeing the faces of people like you and reminding you that you lost.

P.S. How does it feel to lose?
Original post by Napp
Dont forget Chechnya where I believe turnout was more than 110% the poulation :rolleyes:

That's nothing, the Vatican and BAT had over 1000% support, and North Korea too given how restricted internet access it believed to be

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending