The Student Room Group

What's the most interesting thing you have learned this year in maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by offhegoes
Sometimes the most interesting puzzles are, on the surface of it, the most simple. I bet if we all have a look at the 5 Pirates puzzle and the Monty Hall problem we'll end up arguing :wink:

Which is the monty hall problem?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by drandy76

Posted from TSR Mobile

Google it :tongue:
Calculating how long i had left till school finished
Reply 43

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're on a gameshow. The host shows you three doors and tells you that behind two of them there are goats and behind one of them there is a car. You pick a door, and the host, who knows what is behind the doors, opens another door to reveal a goat. The host then asks if you would like to change your choice.I do not understand what is so confusing about this problem but it has inspired a lot of debate...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
You're on a gameshow. The host shows you three doors and tells you that behind two of them there are goats and behind one of them there is a car. You pick a door, and the host, who knows what is behind the doors, opens another door to reveal a goat. The host then asks if you would like to change your choice.I do not understand what is so confusing about this problem but it has inspired a lot of debate...

I'm assuming this was an actual game show? I think there was a number phone video on this as well....

Posted from TSR Mobile
nothing was interesting in GCSE maths lmao
Reply 46
I'm assuming this was an actual game show? I think there was a number phone video on this as well....

Posted from TSR Mobile

From Wikipedia: "loosely based on the American television game show Let's Make a Deal and named after its original host, Monty Hall."
It gained fame when it was posed to Marilyn vos Savant in a magazine column. She got the answer right and was met with a torrent of angry letters claiming she was wrong from many people, including PHDs lol.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
From Wikipedia: "loosely based on the American television game show Let's Make a Deal and named after its original host, Monty Hall."
It gained fame when it was posed to Marilyn vos Savant in a magazine column. She got the answer right and was met with a torrent of angry letters claiming she was wrong from many people, including PHDs lol.

lol, might watch some videos on the show, game shows are suprisingly fun, especially when it's on YouTube so you dodge all the ad breaks etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
M1/M2 Statics and Dynamics, C2 Logs and FP1 Proof By Induction
Not very fun, but I found it quite interesting when we visited colleges and the teacher made us look like an idiot. So, the teacher created two Mobius loops: one with one curve in it and the other with two curves in it. Then, she asked us to cut down the middle to create two loops - made us look like right idiots when half the class had tangled their paper up.
That some infinities are bigger than others by using the infinite hotel paradoxes
Reply 51
3x3 Matrices and also the 3x3 Eigenvalues of Matrices
Reply 52
Lagrange multiplier - used extensively in my microecon modules.
Maybe, Inversion in Geometry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How to use < > signs.
I learned 7 times 8.

Was literally unable to do it instantly off the top of my head for years.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I learned 7 times 8.

I struggled with this one too!
Relative motion ;P and well I'm doing some stuff with sets and I'm amazedddddddddddd *o*
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I learned 7 times 8.

Haha the struggle is real.
I always do 8x8 then take away 8.
I know, me is proper smart.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Differentiation with volums I found interesting, I really like d1 and d2 though, and how they can be used in real life, such as transportation costs or shortest networks ect. Though I was terrible at d2, i found it interesting. I really liked the differentiation in fp2 as well. Integration of area's was interesting, I think that's about it off the top of my head, I prefer economics tbf

Quick Reply

Latest