The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Civil Engineering Applicants 2019 Entry

Course: UCL Civil Engineering
A level predicted grades: Physics A, Chemistry A, Maths A*
GCSE grades : 4A* 1A 2B 1C (A* in Maths and Sciences)
Hi i have applied to UCL Meng civil engineering programme and i would like to know if any of you guys have applied to UCL Engineering for 2019 and whether you've heard replies or not. would UCL accept me if i have those grades? When do you usually hear replies from UCL?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Min Khant
Course: UCL Civil Engineering
A level predicted grades: Physics A, Chemistry A, Maths A*
GCSE grades : 4A* 1A 2B 1C (A* in Maths and Sciences)
Hi i have applied to UCL Meng civil engineering programme and i would like to know if any of you guys have applied to UCL Engineering for 2019 and whether you've heard replies or not. would UCL accept me if i have those grades? When do you usually hear replies from UCL?

Hi, I received an offer from UCL Civil engineering last month.(I applied around 20th Oct, and heard from them within 2 weeks) my grades are..
GCSE- 9A* and 1A
IB- predicted 42 with 7,66 at HL and 7,7,7 at SL
I'm an International student.
UCL offer- 39 IB with 7,6,6 at HL
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Since I am a current Civil Engineering student at UCL, I figure I should give my opinion about the uni/course.
I do not like this course. UCL does Civil Engineering different to most other universities. If you are going into this course simply because you are good at Maths and Physics then this course will not be suited to you. I know because I was one of these people. I didnt know what I wanted to study during my A Levels. My father studied Civil so he suggested me to do it since I really didnt have an interest in studying anything. I thought I might develop an interest in it since I was strong in Maths. I am naturally an independent worker, I was never someone that liked to be involved in group projects or having to do work with meeting the deadlines with other people in your group. For School students its probably hard to relate since you really dont do any group work whatsover in your school days. But if you think you are someone that doesnt like working with other people then do not do civil engineering in UCL. This course is tailored to building teamwork skills and presenting stuff way too much. I understand its important qualities to have but if you would rather skip all that crap then please do civil engineering anywhere but UCL. All the other Engineering disciplines in UCL follow this same format. UCL is not seen as a good university for engineers, but its a great uni for everything else pretty much. Theres plenty of other bad things to say aboit this course but I'll keep this post short. But if anyone is interested in knowing more about this course and maybe the uni in general then feel free to let me now
How many people on your course have not done A levels in Maths or Physics? Has anyone completed alternative qualifications?
(edited 5 years ago)
I think the majority has done A Level Maths. But there are definitely a good number of people who havent done Physics. My friend had Maths Chemistry and Biology and got in to this course.
Reply 5
Original post by C4Ninja
Since I am a current Civil Engineering student at UCL, I figure I should give my opinion about the uni/course.
I do not like this course. UCL does Civil Engineering different to most other universities. If you are going into this course simply because you are good at Maths and Physics then this course will not be suited to you. I know because I was one of these people. I didnt know what I wanted to study during my A Levels. My father studied Civil so he suggested me to do it since I really didnt have an interest in studying anything. I thought I might develop an interest in it since I was strong in Maths. I am naturally an independent worker, I was never someone that liked to be involved in group projects or having to do work with meeting the deadlines with other people in your group. For School students its probably hard to relate since you really dont do any group work whatsover in your school days. But if you think you are someone that doesnt like working with other people then do not do civil engineering in UCL. This course is tailored to building teamwork skills and presenting stuff way too much. I understand its important qualities to have but if you would rather skip all that crap then please do civil engineering anywhere but UCL. All the other Engineering disciplines in UCL follow this same format. UCL is not seen as a good university for engineers, but its a great uni for everything else pretty much. Theres plenty of other bad things to say aboit this course but I'll keep this post short. But if anyone is interested in knowing more about this course and maybe the uni in general then feel free to let me now

I was also going to apply for UCL but a bit too many people had a negative experience there
Original post by esrever
I was also going to apply for UCL but a bit too many people had a negative experience there

Its really a matter about what you want out of this course. If what you read on my previous post makes you feel like this course isnt for you, then you definitely shouldnt do it. Unfortunately for me, when I was applying to unis I didnt bother to look at how others felt about the course. I just assumed that since UCL is a good uni, it would provide a good course.
Just posting links to two other applicants threads if you haven't already seen:

Civil Engineering

UCL Applicants thread
Original post by C4Ninja

Do you dislike the course because of the way it is being taught (University specific) or because of the subject itself? What aspects of civil engineering do you find interesting and what aspects do you personally dislike?
Original post by beautifvlchaos
Do you dislike the course because of the way it is being taught (University specific) or because of the subject itself? What aspects of civil engineering do you find interesting and what aspects do you personally dislike?

I mainly dislike it because of how the university structures the course. Theres not much wrong with the teaching. I'm pretty sure teaching is the same throughout most universities; all the lecturers are knowledgeable in what they are teaching. There can be a few lecturers who like to stick to there old traditional teaching ways by not providing online copies of lecture notes which can be quite frustrating. But overall teaching is not the problem at all. I mainly dislike how the uni structures the course. Most other universities follow the same structure of just having your main modules throughout the year like Maths, Fluid Mechanics, Soil Mechanics, Structures etc. UCL follows something called the IEP (Integrated Engineering program) Where the whole course mainly revolves around doing group projects, presentations etc to build communication skills. This is what I dont like. I dont mind doing these things once in a while which was what I was expecting, but there is just too much it. I also do not learn anything after these projects. Just a few weeks ago I done a one week group project where our project was designing a bridge. Because it was in a group everyone does their own sections of the project and eventually come out the project knowing barely anything about how to design a bridge. If this project was an individual project I would have a much better understanding of everything. UCL also adds there own modules into the course alongside the main ones I listed earlier. In the first year they had a module called design and professional skills. This also includes group projects but they were a couple of individual drawing projects that had to be done which I enjoyed doing. The professional skills part is very boring: just lectures about the construction industry such as certain rules and regulations, contracts involved in a project, health and safety stuff etc. It may be interesting to some but to most its quite boring. This module also comes in the 2nd year where they scrapped any interesting individual projects to do. Another module in the first year is Environmental Impact Assessment (might have changed the name now) which is about helping the environment and doing sustainable stuff. Basically the same stuff you learn somewhere in your secondary school life.
For the aspects I like about Civil Engineering, its anything maths related. I enjoy learning fluid mechanics and structures. Soil mechanics and the Maths module are obviouslt maths related but they are a bit difficult for me. My favourite subject is actually the minor subject you start in your 2nd year. I chose Financial Mathematics and I'm enjoying it a lot. I basically like learning subjects that makes me feel like a more knowledgeable person and this is with the maths based subjects as you are able to demonstrate your knowledge on paper. The problem is UCL bombards you with other things to worry about and you start to lose interest in learning the subjects you like because you are too busy worrying about group projects and stuff.
Original post by C4Ninja
I mainly dislike it because of how the university structures the course. Theres not much wrong with the teaching. I'm pretty sure teaching is the same throughout most universities; all the lecturers are knowledgeable in what they are teaching. There can be a few lecturers who like to stick to there old traditional teaching ways by not providing online copies of lecture notes which can be quite frustrating. But overall teaching is not the problem at all. I mainly dislike how the uni structures the course. Most other universities follow the same structure of just having your main modules throughout the year like Maths, Fluid Mechanics, Soil Mechanics, Structures etc. UCL follows something called the IEP (Integrated Engineering program) Where the whole course mainly revolves around doing group projects, presentations etc to build communication skills. This is what I dont like. I dont mind doing these things once in a while which was what I was expecting, but there is just too much it. I also do not learn anything after these projects. Just a few weeks ago I done a one week group project where our project was designing a bridge. Because it was in a group everyone does their own sections of the project and eventually come out the project knowing barely anything about how to design a bridge. If this project was an individual project I would have a much better understanding of everything. UCL also adds there own modules into the course alongside the main ones I listed earlier. In the first year they had a module called design and professional skills. This also includes group projects but they were a couple of individual drawing projects that had to be done which I enjoyed doing. The professional skills part is very boring: just lectures about the construction industry such as certain rules and regulations, contracts involved in a project, health and safety stuff etc. It may be interesting to some but to most its quite boring. This module also comes in the 2nd year where they scrapped any interesting individual projects to do. Another module in the first year is Environmental Impact Assessment (might have changed the name now) which is about helping the environment and doing sustainable stuff. Basically the same stuff you learn somewhere in your secondary school life.
For the aspects I like about Civil Engineering, its anything maths related. I enjoy learning fluid mechanics and structures. Soil mechanics and the Maths module are obviouslt maths related but they are a bit difficult for me. My favourite subject is actually the minor subject you start in your 2nd year. I chose Financial Mathematics and I'm enjoying it a lot. I basically like learning subjects that makes me feel like a more knowledgeable person and this is with the maths based subjects as you are able to demonstrate your knowledge on paper. The problem is UCL bombards you with other things to worry about and you start to lose interest in learning the subjects you like because you are too busy worrying about group projects and stuff.

Hi! I'm an international applicant who had been offered to study Civil Engineering (Meng) in UCL( starting Sept 2019) . I really would like to thank you for providing such an in depth explanation about this course ( which is what i had been trying to find for the past few weeks-personal experience ) However , i have quite a few questions in my mind which i hope you would be able to answer me.
1. Are you happy studying in UCL despite how the teaching scope is being structured ?
2. How's your social life ? Do you have free time to join other societies ? or isit just purely studying ?
3. How's the facilities in UCL? (i cant seem to find any review regarding this, for me good faicilities is a must have in a univeristy. )
Original post by cheongzx
Hi! I'm an international applicant who had been offered to study Civil Engineering (Meng) in UCL( starting Sept 2019) . I really would like to thank you for providing such an in depth explanation about this course ( which is what i had been trying to find for the past few weeks-personal experience ) However , i have quite a few questions in my mind which i hope you would be able to answer me.
1. Are you happy studying in UCL despite how the teaching scope is being structured ?
2. How's your social life ? Do you have free time to join other societies ? or isit just purely studying ?
3. How's the facilities in UCL? (i cant seem to find any review regarding this, for me good faicilities is a must have in a univeristy. )

Hi!
1. Despite the teaching structure for this course I am reasonably happy studying in UCL for the subjects that I enjoy.

2. Personally, I do not live by the University. I still live with my family in London so I travel to UCL everyday (1 hour travel). So in terms of social life, there isnt much for me since I just go straight home after my last lecture. I do enjoy spending time with my friends in between lectures and during lunch. Of course social life will definitely be improved if you live by the uni. People who live by the uni did apply to societies in the 1st year but later during the year the amount of work gets quite a lot and some people start to lose interest in their societies to focus on studies. If I was living by the uni I still wouldnt join any societies because of the workload of this course. However, if you manage your time well you can still join societies and have a good time.

3. I cant really comment much on accomodation facilities but I havent really heard much bad things from people who live by the uni. When it comes to sports facilities, theres nothing much to say. Since UCL is in Central London there is just simply no space for these sports facilites, my friend plays hockey in UCL but needs to travel to South London in order to play since theres no space in UCL. UCL does offer a lot of sports to do. There are plenty of libraries to go to which have many computers to use which is good for studying. The facilities in lecture rooms vary quite drastically for different departments. The civil engineering department probably has one of the worst if you ask me. The lecture rooms in that department are very old and smaller than lecture rooms in the medical and mechanical engineering department. Luckily barely any lectures occur in this building and are instead spread across various buildings. If I have one complaint about my lectures its that none of them are recorded apart from my maths lectures. I think a lot of other universities around the country and the world have recordings of the lectures as standard, but I was surprised that it rarely happens in UCL, at least for this course. If I have one major thing to point out about this uni it's that this uni feels congested. There is simply no open areas where there are few people. Everywhere you look there are lots of people. When you are walking to a lecture theres lots of people, when you're in the library or the local cafe's theres loads of people. I understand this isnt the universities fault because thats just how London is. UCL is a large university with over 40,000 students and with that plus the lack of space, its not a good combination. If you dont mind this then thats fine, but i felt it was worth pointing out. I knew there will not be much open space when coming to this uni, but if you were to go to a uni outside of London you will feel completely different with just the amount of open space you can see. Having open spaces is definitely one of the biggest factors contributing to a students experience.

I hope some of this was useful to you. If you have any more questions feel free to ask because choosing where to study for the next few years is an important thing and if I am able to help someone choose the right uni then I am more than happy to help :smile:
Thanks you so much! :smile:
Just a few more questions!
1. I was wondering about the job prospect for those who graduated from UCL, do companies like student( specifically civil engineering) from UCL ? Are they able to find job ( within their own studying field) after they graduated?
2. You did mention that you don't normally have class in the lectures room? then where do you have you normally have your class ?
3. What about the laboratories? do they have top notch facilites while you're attending those lectures?
Original post by cheongzx
Thanks you so much! :smile:
Just a few more questions!
1. I was wondering about the job prospect for those who graduated from UCL, do companies like student( specifically civil engineering) from UCL ? Are they able to find job ( within their own studying field) after they graduated?
2. You did mention that you don't normally have class in the lectures room? then where do you have you normally have your class ?
3. What about the laboratories? do they have top notch facilites while you're attending those lectures?

1. In general, employers think of UCL very highly, as the university has always had a strong name not just in the country but around the world. Regardless of the course taken, a degree from UCL is a notable achievement. For Civil Engineering, UCL has a few close contacts of large engineering firms and this definitely helps UCL graduates who are looking for engineering jobs in the company. I dont know very well on how successful the civil engineering graduates are in looking for engineering jobs, but I'm pretty confident that most graduates will find themselves in a job within the first 6 months of graduating.
One important thing to mention is that the idea that a student should be employed based on how good of a uni they come from is becoming much less of a trend with employers. Back in the day, employers liked looking for students coming from top universities with great grades. However, employers are now more interested in a students work experience, because there are just too many graduates nowadays coming out from top universities with nothing else to show apart from their grades. This is mainly something in the UK. Around the world I think employers still favour someone from a very good University, even if they dont have much experience.

2. Classes still always happen in Lecture rooms, however these Lecture rooms are not always in the building belonging to the civil engineering department. Because with the amount of students in the uni, you cant always get a lecture room in the same department building to what you are studying. This is not much of a big deal since Lectures are not too far away from each other, and I find it nice to have lectures in many different locations and departments.

3. In terms of laboratories, the facilities are present. I cant really tell if they are top notch or not because I havent been to other universities to compare it with. With civil engineering, there is no real advancement in technology or equipment used in laboratories since all the technology and facilities used in the past are still very releavant today. One complaint about the laboratories are that they are not that big. You dont visit these labs in any lectures but rather you have coursework where you attend a lab session with a handful of other students and conduct your lab work. Some laboratories have there own dedicated rooms like the Fluids laboratory and Materials Laboratory. Others do not. Some lab sessions are conducted in a sort of common area in the civil engineering department rather than in its own room because the equipment can be moved around easily.
Hi!!
I myself have received an offer from ucl civil engineering. The worry I have for the course is the maths, i was hoping if you can provide any information such as;
1) Do they teach all the maths?
2) Is the maths more advanced from A-levels?
3) I myself am not too confident with maths, will be able to learn new maths whilst doing the course?

Thank you!!

Original post by username4427000
1. In general, employers think of UCL very highly, as the university has always had a strong name not just in the country but around the world. Regardless of the course taken, a degree from UCL is a notable achievement. For Civil Engineering, UCL has a few close contacts of large engineering firms and this definitely helps UCL graduates who are looking for engineering jobs in the company. I dont know very well on how successful the civil engineering graduates are in looking for engineering jobs, but I'm pretty confident that most graduates will find themselves in a job within the first 6 months of graduating.
One important thing to mention is that the idea that a student should be employed based on how good of a uni they come from is becoming much less of a trend with employers. Back in the day, employers liked looking for students coming from top universities with great grades. However, employers are now more interested in a students work experience, because there are just too many graduates nowadays coming out from top universities with nothing else to show apart from their grades. This is mainly something in the UK. Around the world I think employers still favour someone from a very good University, even if they dont have much experience.

2. Classes still always happen in Lecture rooms, however these Lecture rooms are not always in the building belonging to the civil engineering department. Because with the amount of students in the uni, you cant always get a lecture room in the same department building to what you are studying. This is not much of a big deal since Lectures are not too far away from each other, and I find it nice to have lectures in many different locations and departments.

3. In terms of laboratories, the facilities are present. I cant really tell if they are top notch or not because I havent been to other universities to compare it with. With civil engineering, there is no real advancement in technology or equipment used in laboratories since all the technology and facilities used in the past are still very releavant today. One complaint about the laboratories are that they are not that big. You dont visit these labs in any lectures but rather you have coursework where you attend a lab session with a handful of other students and conduct your lab work. Some laboratories have there own dedicated rooms like the Fluids laboratory and Materials Laboratory. Others do not. Some lab sessions are conducted in a sort of common area in the civil engineering department rather than in its own room because the equipment can be moved around easily.
Hey!
May I know where are you from and what’s your predicted grades ( if you don’t mind telling me ) :smile:
Original post by john stones
Hi!!
I myself have received an offer from ucl civil engineering. The worry I have for the course is the maths, i was hoping if you can provide any information such as;
1) Do they teach all the maths?
2) Is the maths more advanced from A-levels?
3) I myself am not too confident with maths, will be able to learn new maths whilst doing the course?

Thank you!!
Received an offer for civil engineering, is a*aa the minimum they will let people in with ?
Original post by username4427000

hey how about the mechanical
Hello!Apart from the team work aspect of the course which you did not enjoy. Was there anything else that was negative about the civil engineering course at UCL?How tough were exams and courseworks and is it possible to get a first or is the failing rate among students high? I would truly appreciate your reply, thank you!
Hi, I’m currently studying civil engineering at UCL. My only advice? Please don’t come to UCL. They focus too much on teamwork related stuff that doesn’t really prepare you for a career in engineering( if that’s what you still want. On top of that, most teamwork will stress you out as ppl don’t tend to work tgt and like to leave stuff till the last minute. Additionally, UCL lecturers in the engineering department are quite bad too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending