The Student Room Group

A-level physics or economics?

For my A-levels i am considering taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry. However, i am unsure whether to take either economics or physics as my 4th option. What do you think would be best? I am estimated around a 7 on all my sciences and my Maths is estimated as a 6/7.
Are you planning on taking 4 alevels for the whole of the 2 years? Have you got an idea of what you want to do in uni yet?

I do Bio, Chem, Maths and Physics.
Original post by monkey_curry
For my A-levels i am considering taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry. However, i am unsure whether to take either economics or physics as my 4th option. What do you think would be best? I am estimated around a 7 on all my sciences and my Maths is estimated as a 6/7.
Hiya,

I'm a current 3rd year astrophysics and cosmology student at Lancaster University and I did physics, maths and economics for my a-levels. If you are unsure between the two then I'd highly recommend having a look at the course outline / structure for both a-level courses and just seeing if what is covered interests you, which one interests you more than the other and is it something you see yourself enjoying. Also, have a think about whether you feel you could manage taking 3 sciences alongside maths. Not saying economics isn't as challenging as physics (I found it challenging!) but if you feel you tend to be stronger writing essays / worded and analytical answers compared to maths, then maybe econ is something for you to choose.
The last thing I would suggest is to see if you know what you would like to do in the future: would you lean towards doing something within either of those two subjects and if so, which one? It's mainly all about what interests you and what you feel you want to learn, not necessarily what you find easier, as that can come with practice.

I hope all this helps and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask :smile:)
-- Arya (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Original post by monkey_curry
Do you have to take a 4th A level? If I'm being brutally honest, 7s are good in the general sense but not good enough for that combo. Even with just A level maths, most people I know who got a 6 dropped the subject in the first month and a lot of people with even a grade 7 struggled. Really look into what you might want to do at uni, most unis only require 3 a levels. At the end of the day, if you don't need a subject it's not worth the stress. Do the easiest subjects you can for the degree you want to do and uni u want to get into.

Quick Reply

Latest