The Student Room Group

Nearly 18 and never had a Job/ done any volunteering work!

It's hard for me to get a Job, because I have never done any previous volunteering work so I can't really write anything "useful" on my CV.

I am considering doing volunteering, preferably in a retail setting, however I want it to link in health e.g. helping people with disability/ with a health condition or even helping someone poor.
Original post by Anonbabes
It's hard for me to get a Job, because I have never done any previous volunteering work so I can't really write anything "useful" on my CV.

I am considering doing volunteering, preferably in a retail setting, however I want it to link in health e.g. helping people with disability/ with a health condition or even helping someone poor.

Consult your tutors or friends who work in similar areas, i too have never had any work experience and i turn 19 on the 23rd of this month...we were never offered work experience in high school because the year before us had taken the absolute piss with it so they felt it was a waste of time and didn't want the school to have a bad rep. Then with college, i saw no point.
I did 2 years volunteering in a charity shop which massively helped me get my first job at 21. You could volunteer for a BHF or scope charity shop :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
I did 2 years volunteering in a charity shop which massively helped me get my first job at 21. You could volunteer for a BHF or scope charity shop :smile:

Do they ask for reference or DBS check? I can only do it for a month

Original post by GreekTea
Consult your tutors or friends who work in similar areas, i too have never had any work experience and i turn 19 on the 23rd of this month...we were never offered work experience in high school because the year before us had taken the absolute piss with it so they felt it was a waste of time and didn't want the school to have a bad rep. Then with college, i saw no point.

Oh true, but I've finished College
Reply 4
I volunteered in a charity shop for about 6 months. The manager was a bully and I hated it but it helped me to get my first job at Burger King so it was worth it. You have just got to start from the bottom if you want to get your first job; just do anything that's available to ' fill ' your cv. I did work experience in a school for instance and it looks good on my cv as like ' volunteer teaching assistant ' so perhaps look at other ways to show you're experienced in just communicating with people :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by fefssdf
I volunteered in a charity shop for about 6 months. The manager was a bully and I hated it but it helped me to get my first job at Burger King so it was worth it. You have just got to start from the bottom if you want to get your first job; just do anything that's available to ' fill ' your cv. I did work experience in a school for instance and it looks good on my cv as like ' volunteer teaching assistant ' so perhaps look at other ways to show you're experienced in just communicating with people :smile:

I can volunteer for like a month,like do 3 weeks
Read the first page of this thread, surely this info will help you get a job: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3813957

I wish you the best of luck!
Reply 7
I can volunteer for like a month,like do 3 weeks

Yh that's fine like you could just do even a day a week in charity shop and on your cv just put - volunteer customer service assistant 2016 and so it looks like you've been doing it for longer :smile:
Reply 8
Just lie on your CV. Saves you from a years worth of volunteering
Do they ask for reference or DBS check? I can only do it for a month

Oh true, but I've finished College

No, they don't ask for references or a dbs generally.
As others have said - volunteer. That's the way most (honest) people get their first job. Also, you're never too old for a work experience placement and you can organize them yourself. So volunteer + placement and you'll have a better chance of getting a first job. That being said, your chances would also improve a lot if you apply to jobs that most people don't want to do i.e. fast food/cleaning. Then once you've got a bit of experience of a real job, and have built up relevant voluntary work and placements you can apply for better things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending