The Student Room Group

part time job

Hi I'm 20 years old and have never gotten a job. My parents were pushing me when I was 16 but I've always been a shy kid, so working at a busy loud place, with lots of people was definitely the last thing that on my mind. I started uni when I was 18 so it got me thinking more about my career. I realised that I didn't have a cv and no experience so I started making one. By then I realised that I had to put my shyness on the side and work because it would be important to have some basic experience. Ever since then I've been applying, now im 20 and still have no job. I've been applying mostly in the holidays after I come home from uni but still get rejected, however I knew this because my lack of experience. My parents remind me about it all the time and I get really embarrassed and I'm ashamed of myself. I've also been applying for this summer as well, but still nothing. It's always the same every summer. So my questions are:

Is it too late? and what can I do to gain more experience.

Thanks for reading this:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Shinya_Kogami
Hi I'm 20 years old and have never gotten a job. My parents were pushing me when I was 16 but I've always been a shy kid, so working at a busy loud place, with lots of people was definitely the last thing that on my mind. I started uni when I was 18 so it got me thinking more about my career. I realised that I didn't have a cv and no experience so I started making one. By then I realised that I had to put my shyness on the side and work because it would be important to have some basic experience. Ever since then I've been applying, now im 20 and still have no job. I've been applying mostly in the holidays after I come home from uni but still get rejected, however I knew this because my lack of experience. My parents remind me about it all the time and I get really embarrassed and I'm ashamed of myself. I've also been applying for this summer as well, but still nothing. It's always the same every summer. So my questions are:

I’d recommend while you’re applying to volunteer somewhere. Maybe a charity shop or community centre? Then you can add it to applications that you have some experience in retail, and it can give them more confidence that you’ll be capable. Charity shops are always wanting new volunteers
Original post by charves14
I’d recommend while you’re applying to volunteer somewhere. Maybe a charity shop or community centre? Then you can add it to applications that you have some experience in retail, and it can give them more confidence that you’ll be capable. Charity shops are always wanting new volunteers

ok what charity shops or community centre's would you recommend?
Reply 3
ok what charity shops or community centre's would you recommend?

go for local places, maybe in your town centre?
Original post by charves14
go for local places, maybe in your town centre?

Ok then so if I do that would I have to look for a place online aswell or would I have to go directly to that place and ask if they do?
You can get part-time jobs at joints like Caffe Nero pretty easily imo, without any previous work experience.

Hi,

I completely agree that volunteering is definitely something that will boost your CV loads. If you like kids, girlguiding and scouts is a great place to start and usually only requires a couple of hours one evening a week.

If you’re looking for a paid work, you could see if there’s an employment and recruitment service at your university. I have personally used Lancaster’s service to get jobs and they are very understanding of lack of experience and commitments to uni work.

It may also be a good idea to get a careers advisor at your uni’s careers service to have a look at your CV and cover letters. They may also be able to help you practice interview questions.

I know a lot of people who are in a similar situation to you so don’t be embarrassed. Keep trying and I’m sure you’ll find something!

-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by confuzzledteen
You can get part-time jobs at joints like Caffe Nero pretty easily imo, without any previous work experience.

Oh that’s good, I’ll be going back to uni in Leicester and I know there is cafe Nero in town do you think they will have vacancies available there aswell?

OK, so it's very important that you gain some work experience. Why not start volunteering? Maybe you could try a charity shop like Loros or a care home. You could also ask your uni for help. unis most of the time have jobs as well as student ambassadors or student assistants. Get some volunteering done for 3 to 6 months and if you can get that student ambassador position. hopefully, by the end of this year, you will have enough experience to put on your CV.

Hope that helps.
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi,

I completely agree that volunteering is definitely something that will boost your CV loads. If you like kids, girlguiding and scouts is a great place to start and usually only requires a couple of hours one evening a week.

If you’re looking for a paid work, you could see if there’s an employment and recruitment service at your university. I have personally used Lancaster’s service to get jobs and they are very understanding of lack of experience and commitments to uni work.

It may also be a good idea to get a careers advisor at your uni’s careers service to have a look at your CV and cover letters. They may also be able to help you practice interview questions.

I know a lot of people who are in a similar situation to you so don’t be embarrassed. Keep trying and I’m sure you’ll find something!

-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Thank you so much
What career path do you want to go down, I.e what sector?
Original post by Scienceisgood
What career path do you want to go down, I.e what sector?

As I’m an art student I thought that it would be obvious too to down the art route and become a professional artist, but now I have other interests like music😅. However I still enjoy painting and would still love to do that after uni.
(edited 8 months ago)
As I’m an art student I thought that it would be obvious too to down the art route and become a professional artist, but now I have other interests like music😅. However I still enjoy painting and would still love to do that after uni.

Sorry to say but if you are using the app, it doesn’t tell you which forum you’re in and I noticed a response in the recently replied section. 😐

Sorry to say I don’t know much about art…
Original post by Scienceisgood
Sorry to say but if you are using the app, it doesn’t tell you which forum you’re in and I noticed a response in the recently replied section. 😐

Sorry to say I don’t know much about art…

It’s okay
Oh that’s good, I’ll be going back to uni in Leicester and I know there is cafe Nero in town do you think they will have vacancies available there aswell?

They might. Honestly, when it comes to getting a part-time job in hospitality, your best bet is just mass applying. I applied to 10+ before I got Caffe Nero.
Original post by confuzzledteen
They might. Honestly, when it comes to getting a part-time job in hospitality, your best bet is just mass applying. I applied to 10+ before I got Caffe Nero.

Ok thank you so much this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending