The Student Room Group

10,000 post limit to threads - new helpful thing incoming!

Hiya,

As some of you will be aware if you have ever taken part in big forum games or society threads, TSR has a limit on the number of posts that can be included in a single thread (10,000 posts). When a discussion goes over the 10,000 posts limit, the whole site just collapses and stops working. We've looked into this and there isn't really a way around it because it's so core to the way the site works.

So, we are going to implement a change this week to improve this for you all:

Auto close - When a thread hits 10,000 posts it will automatically close, so someone doesn't have to manually do it.

Create new thread - within the old thread, it is possible for someone to reply after it is closed and that reply will become the Opening First Post of the new thread (with a notice that this is happening so you will know)

Auto numbering - on creating the new thread, the title will automatically update from Version 1 to Version 2, Version 3 to Version 4 etc.

Watchers auto carry across - one of the big problems with the old way is that the watchers of the old thread are lost, so these will now automagically carry across to the new thread.

I hope you like it, please let us know how it goes once live :smile:

Jack

Scroll to see replies

Lovely change. @spotify95 will be pleased.
Reply 2
If this actually works then that's really good.
This will be an awesome change! Will it include a link to the previous thread in the OP of the new thread?
Original post by RK
This will be an awesome change! Will it include a link to the previous thread in the OP of the new thread?

It has a notice going back throughout - which might be a bit too much but I'm of the view we should try that out and see what people think when using it first. We can always change it :smile:
Woo, this'll be pretty helpful!! Looking forward to seeing it in action!
Original post by Captain Jack

Auto numbering - on creating the new thread, the title will automatically update from Version 1 to Version 2, Version 3 to Version 4 etc.

Nice, but I hope there will be a way to edit thread titles? GOGSoc version 8 just doesn't sound right. :nope:
Reply 7
Original post by Snufkin
Nice, but I hope there will be a way to edit thread titles? GOGSoc version 8 just doesn't sound right. :nope:
That's a good point.
@Captain Jack will it recognise Roman numerals?
Original post by Snufkin

Original post by Aph
That's a good point.
@Captain Jack will it recognise Roman numerals?

I don't think it will be possible to work for Roman numerals but I will ask - for now assume it's a no though.

If there are some with roman numerals or bad titles, you can ask the Support Team or Community Team to change them for you :smile:
Reminder that your friendly local ST member can make changes to thread titles if the automation doesn't get it right. :tongue:

Good call, I like this!
Reply 10
Original post by iEthan
Reminder that your friendly local ST member can make changes to thread titles if the automation doesn't get it right. :tongue:

Good call, I like this!

The OP can do it too you know :tongue:
Original post by Aph
The OP can do it too you know :tongue:

They can indeed. Surprising that not many people know!
Reply 12
Original post by iEthan
They can indeed. Surprising that not many people know!

I guess most people don't need to try to?
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Lovely change. @spotify95 will be pleased.

Excellent! If it works nicely, this will be a welcome change! :smile:

Also, instead of saying "version X", wouldn't it be better if it said "Part X", like how the CTAM is currently going?

Apart from that, excellent news!
Original post by spotify95
Excellent! If it works nicely, this will be a welcome change! :smile:

Also, instead of saying "version X", wouldn't it be better if it said "Part X", like how the CTAM is currently going?

Apart from that, excellent news!

Or Mk X like the MHoC... you're not going to be able to get one which EVERYONE wants...
Baby steps... :tongue: we've noticed there are a few bugs with it, nothing major! If you notice a closed thread that shouldn't be closed, can you please report it here? :flutter:
Original post by mobbsy91
Or Mk X like the MHoC... you're not going to be able to get one which EVERYONE wants...

Most of FG's threads are Part X... in any case, if it does rename it wrongly, then surely I can ask @iEthan to change it for me, correct? :smile:
Great idea!
Original post by spotify95
Most of FG's threads are Part X... in any case, if it does rename it wrongly, then surely I can ask @iEthan to change it for me, correct? :smile:

And because you want it to happen automatically for FG means every other thread should have Part X... In fact, a lot of threads across TSR use Mk instead of Part - I'd be willing to bet more threads need opening after 10k posts that have Mk than those that use Part. Whoever the OP is can rename them in any case.
Amazing change!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending