The Student Room Group

Universal Credit and Maintenance Loan Timeline

Hey, I've been in the position of loans and such cause I've been to Uni before. But now I live on my own and the whole page on maintenance loans and universal credit doesn't make sense to me. So the question is just to clear it up a bit.

"
Deductions are taken off because the loan is seen as an income. But when? Considering (at least, last time I was at uni it was like this) the loan is paid in 3 or 4 instalments over the year; are deductions off UC on a monthly basis or just the months when you get that payment segment?
"

The gov website explains this very poorly so that's why I'm asking this stupid question here.
Also for context if it matters: I get UC, live on my own with no one else, have 0 income from jobs, am disabled and get 'limited capability for work' payments.

Thank you for any answers.
(edited 1 year ago)
I'd be really interested in what response you get to your question as like you, ive struggled to get anything concretem. I currently claim universal credit and due to go back to full time study (bsc). I'm married with two disabled children. From what I've managed to find out so far and how I've interpreted it, they work out your income (there are some amounts disregarded like bursaries) for the year and divide over 10 months (meaning for 2 months you money 'should' return to usual payments). Once the income has been divided by 10, I read they disregard the first £110 per month of the income. So depending what you are entitled to via universal credit, you may still get something. However this obviously depends on the amount you usually receive via UC vs what your new income (student loan) is. This is completely how I have interpreted the very sparse information I've managed to come across, so please don't take my description above as 100% accurate. Hence why I'd be interested in any other response you get.
Reply 2
Hi, i’m a case manager for UC and I will try and give a quick guide of how it works.

So we take your information about any loans and bursarys you may be receiving for the time of your academic year. We will also ask for the dates of your course, start and end.

The loans are deemed as income, but there are certain loans/grants we do not take into account such as Special Support Grant, Parents Learning (your case manager should be able to give you a breakdown of the figures we’ve used). We then deduct £110 for books etc, this is a nationally set amount.

We take that figure and divide it by the number of assessment periods your study covers and that figure is used as a deduction on your statement under other income.

Eg, your AP(assessment period) starts on the 12th of a month and finishes on the 11th of a month, you have student income of £3000 (this is after we’ve taken grants/burseries/loans/deductions into account)

Your course start date is September 15th and you finish July 25th.
Your Student income would be used in the following ap’s: 12th Sept to 11 Oct, 12 Oct to 11 Nov etc, etc, till the last AP used 12 June to 11th July (this is the last AP before your studies finish). This is a total of 10 months (not always the case, but mostly)

We would do £3000 divided by 10 which equals £300. This is the amount used for the AP’s of your studies.

I hope this has helped and not made things more complicated.

Please remember that if your normal entitlement is less than the final deduction figure, your entitlement will be nil. But once your education has stopped, you may be re-entitled to UC.

Rosie x
Original post by MsKins
Hi, i’m a case manager for UC and I will try and give a quick guide of how it works.

So we take your information about any loans and bursarys you may be receiving for the time of your academic year. We will also ask for the dates of your course, start and end.

The loans are deemed as income, but there are certain loans/grants we do not take into account such as Special Support Grant, Parents Learning (your case manager should be able to give you a breakdown of the figures we’ve used). We then deduct £110 for books etc, this is a nationally set amount.

We take that figure and divide it by the number of assessment periods your study covers and that figure is used as a deduction on your statement under other income.

Eg, your AP(assessment period) starts on the 12th of a month and finishes on the 11th of a month, you have student income of £3000 (this is after we’ve taken grants/burseries/loans/deductions into account)

Your Student income would be used in the following ap’s: 12th Sept to 11 Oct, 12 Oct to 11 Nov etc, etc, till the last AP used 12 June to 11th July (this is the last AP before your studies finish). This is a total of 10 months (not always the case, but mostly)

We would do £3000 divided by 10 which equals £300. This is the amount used for the AP’s of your studies.

Please remember that if your normal entitlement is less than the final deduction figure, your entitlement will be nil. But once your education has stopped, you may be re-entitled to UC.

Rosie x

Can I ask if the £110 deduction is a one time deduction or if it is worked out from each assessment period? Many thanks.
Reply 4
Of course, the £110 is a one off deduction before it's divided.
Reply 5
Original post by MsKins

Rosie x

Hello. Thanks for your comprehensive response. I am a post grad studying on a part time distance learning MSc. My SFE award is less than my tuition fee (so I have to pay more over and above the SFE maximum loan award to be able to attend) yet the same calculation is seemingly based on me circumstances. This can't be right?
Reply 6
Original post by GameOfLifeMayu
Hey, I've been in the position of loans and such cause I've been to Uni before. But now I live on my own and the whole page on maintenance loans and universal credit doesn't make sense to me. So the question is just to clear it up a bit.
"
Deductions are taken off because the loan is seen as an income. But when? Considering (at least, last time I was at uni it was like this) the loan is paid in 3 or 4 instalments over the year; are deductions off UC on a monthly basis or just the months when you get that payment segment?
"
The gov website explains this very poorly so that's why I'm asking this stupid question here.
Also for context if it matters: I get UC, live on my own with no one else, have 0 income from jobs, am disabled and get 'limited capability for work' payments.
Thank you for any answers.

Please Let Me know what the outcome is as I’m in the exact same situation except I live with my parents

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending