Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

PC top trumps

Which will win this or religion?
Reply 2
I wish I lived 100 years ago
Reply 3
Lol I guess the crime rate in my area will rise exponentially in the follwing months.
I find this really concerning. Particularly interesting is the wordplay on misogyny. Used to mean women hating, now what does it mean? Yet it still sounds bad. As crude as some people may find wolf whistling to be, it is not an act of woman hating; so why is it classified as a hate crime? Also what counts as harassment is ultimately subjective and will depend on the perspective of the woman; bringing the police is too extreme for these kinds of complaints.
Reply 5
Is this for real ?
Reply 6
Original post by Mathemagicien
1916? Doubt you'd want to be a 16-40ish old male in the UK then

Forgot to mention, and at least middle class:tongue:
Nottinghamshire Police said it would expand its categories to include misogynistic incidents.
It means abuse or harassment which might not be a crime can be reported to and investigated by the police, and support for the victim put in place.

The force defines misogyny hate crime as: "Incidents against women that are motivated by an attitude of a man towards a woman and includes behaviour targeted towards a woman by men simply because they are a woman."

The classification now means people can report incidents which might not be considered to be a crime and the police will investigate.

Nottingham Women's Centre has been helping train call centre, force control staff and officers on the beat to recognise misogynistic hate crime and ways to tackle it.

These officers will also examine if and how a victim can be supported or if anything can be done to help prevent them being targeted again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-36775398

The article is very clear that this is about labeling things which were previously not crimes as hate crimes.

This makes me wonder how serious the 'hate crimes' are if you have to train people to recognise them.

Its also interesting how this is specifically about misogyny, rather than a more general definition like 'an act of one gender on another based on their gender'.

Good news
Original post by M14B
I wish I lived 100 years ago

Lol no you don't
What if a woman stabs a woman to death because she's woman, e.g.
romantic rivals contending for the affections of another woman. What then? Is that mysogyny?
How is this not just going full (feminist) retard and only targetting the men? Does this not conflict with the Equality Act? We're all supposed to be equal under the law, right? Unless you're a man in which case you seem to be subject to more laws than women...?
Original post by BritishBlu£
What if a woman stabs a woman to death because she's woman, e.g.
romantic rivals contending for the affections of another woman. What then? Is that mysogyny?
How is this not just going full (feminist) retard and only targetting the men? Does this not conflict with the Equality Act? We're all supposed to be equal under the law, right? Unless you're a man in which case you seem to be subject to more laws than women...?

That makes no sense. The motive is the fact that the victim was a rival for her desired lover's affection. She wasn't murdered solely for being a woman.
(edited 7 years ago)
Have they forgotten that 50% of Twitter misogyny, for example, is woman on woman?

This is more divisive than unifying. If you're going to call misogyny a hate crime, then you have to call misandry a hate crime too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Rape threats and gender based harassment are commonplace for women who express certain political views. If you think that these are not serious enough to be considered as crimes and are a waste of police resources, then this is a waste of a conversation.

I personally would have preferred that they recognised hate crimes against all genders, however that does not mean that the recognition of misogyny is a bad thing.
Original post by WBZ144
Rape threats and gender based harassment are commonplace for women who express certain political views. If you think that these are not serious enough to be considered as crimes and are a waste of police resources, then this is a waste of a conversation.

I personally would have preferred that they recognised hate crimes against all genders, however that does not mean that the recognition of misogyny is a bad thing.

What is your opinion of the court case referenced in this article?

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/the-internet-must-never-be-a-safe-space/17668#.V4Z92vkrKM8

How would you prevent misuse of any harassment laws?
Original post by metaltron
What is your opinion of the court case referenced in this article?

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/the-internet-must-never-be-a-safe-space/17668#.V4Z92vkrKM8

How would you prevent misuse of any harassment laws?

I do not have the full facts of the case and have yet to hear about someone being subjected to a trial merely for disagreeing with members of a political movement. What evidence was used against him?

When someone on the Internet disagrees with me, I will either debate them or just drop it if I can't be bothered. When they insult me, I couldn't care less and would just ignore them or report it to the site moderators if it's racial or gender-based. On the other hand, when someone goes out of their way to threaten and intimidate me (which has happened twice before), that is unacceptable and they deserve what comes their way as a result of their bullying.
The article and my OP were very specific to state that the definition of misogynistic 'hate crime' was extended to things that were previously not criminal; rape threats and sexual harassment are already offenses.

It is very vague in explaining exactly what sort of crimes would be considered misogynistic.
Original post by WBZ144
I do not have the full facts of the case and have yet to hear about someone being subjected to a trial merely for disagreeing with members of a political movement. What evidence was used against him?

When someone on the Internet disagrees with me, I will either debate them or just drop it if I can't be bothered. When they insult me, I couldn't care less and would just ignore them or report it to the site moderators if it's racial or gender-based. On the other hand, when someone goes out of their way to threaten and intimidate me (which has happened twice before), that is unacceptable and they deserve what comes their way as a result of their bullying.

What I know is that the judge decided he was not guilty in the end because the exchange was essentially an ugly political debate. The most concerning thing is that he was banned from using the internet for three years as a bail condition, before being found not guilty. So he has been punished anyway for a heated argument on Twitter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_v_Elliott#Background

In this case, the trial went to court because the two women said they felt unsafe and threatened, even though the judge decided eventually that this was unreasonable. So, given the three year ban, I would count this as a misuse of harassment laws.

I take your point that if you feel that somebody is threatening you in order to shut you up, then they should be investigated and then perhaps punished.

I have two issues at the moment. One is that harassment laws can be misused as above. The other issue is I wouldn't want people getting punished for getting angry at me unless they made a credible threat of physical harm to me. However the second issue is more subjective, since it depends on how much you wish to empathise with the dissenters.
Why not?

For example, there has been a sharp increase in acid attacks where men throw acid in women's faces for perceived slights. Although that is GBH and receives a firm sentence, it does not receive nearly the exemplary sentence it deserves (in these cases, women's lives are ruined for ever - a man serving a 5-yr sentence for GBH will probably be out on a tag after 2) and making it what it is - a misogynistic hate crime - would act as an additional deterrent.
Acid attacks are already a crime. As has been pointed out many times, the article is specific in stating that the definition of hate crime is extended for things which previously were not considered crimes.

I would be perfectly pleased for this go ahead - its only going to affect ogres and the general scum of the population, after all - except that its drawing away police resources from more serious crimes, at a time when the tories have cut police budgets, and social tension is rapidly increasing, which means that some more serious criminals are going to slip through Nottingham Police's fingers while they are investigating a man who made a sexist joke.

Oh I see, I hadn't quite twigged that part. I will re-read.
Is slut shaming misogyny?
The reason I ask is most of the times I have seen somebody calling a woman a slut it has been another woman.
So is internalized misogyny a hate crime?
Could a woman report a hate crime for being slut shamed by another woman?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending