The Student Room Group

Biochemistry vs Molecular & Cellular Biology degree

I was just wondering what the best option between Biochemistry and Molecular & Cellular Biology would be, if I wanted to pursue a career in Structural Biology. I know that both subjects are very similar and that there is very little difference between them, but I just cannot decide which one to choose.*
Reply 1
Hello,
First question is are you looking at any certain uni's as most do the same modules pretty much. The only main difference is that Biochemistry requires you to take some chemistry modules and at my uni the final year module for molecular biology is cancer based whereas for Biochemistry it is more metabolic (Krebs cycle ect). So have a look at the modules at different uni's and check which one would be better suited to you. Also check the entry requirements for some masters/ PhD's in structural biology just to ensure you won't be at a disadvantage for which course you choose. Any questions just ask!
Reply 2
Original post by ritazip
Hello,
First question is are you looking at any certain uni's as most do the same modules pretty much. The only main difference is that Biochemistry requires you to take some chemistry modules and at my uni the final year module for molecular biology is cancer based whereas for Biochemistry it is more metabolic (Krebs cycle ect). So have a look at the modules at different uni's and check which one would be better suited to you. Also check the entry requirements for some masters/ PhD's in structural biology just to ensure you won't be at a disadvantage for which course you choose. Any questions just ask!

Thanks very much for the reply! The Biochemistry course and the Molecular Biology course at my university share 80% of classes in the third (second last) year. The biochemists do an extra module on proteins and metabolism, whereas the molecular and cell biologists do separate modules in Developmental Biology and Genomics. At my university, Biochemistry and MCB are in the same degree group, "Biomolecular Sciences".**Most PhD programmes I looked at require a "relevant degree in the Biological Sciences". Am I guessing that means an appropriate Biomolecular degree? Thanks again.*
Reply 3
Original post by amacleod
Thanks very much for the reply! The Biochemistry course and the Molecular Biology course at my university share 80% of classes in the third (second last) year. The biochemists do an extra module on proteins and metabolism, whereas the molecular and cell biologists do separate modules in Developmental Biology and Genomics. At my university, Biochemistry and MCB are in the same degree group, "Biomolecular Sciences".**Most PhD programmes I looked at require a "relevant degree in the Biological Sciences". Am I guessing that means an appropriate Biomolecular degree? Thanks again.*

No problem, ah ok. Yes a Biomolecular degree would count as a relevant degree in the Biological Sciences. So I say go with the one that you would most enjoy or if a module in one of them is more relevant to what your choosen postgrad study, as some entry requirements are more concerned about modules sometimes then your degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending