The Student Room Group

Military going nuts in turkey, Bridges closed?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sir Fox
A US source has said that Turkey keeps accusing him of stuff and makes a big fuss in public, but have never actually officially asked for an extradition.

And obviously the US aren't extraditing him immediately, just because the Turkish govt. is accusing him of something. They do that all the time without ever producing solid evidence.

they ve been doing that since 2014. once a reporter asked to Harf about it and he said that they didnt talk about it. he doesnt have passport of Turkey. it s been cancelled two years ago. he must have been arrested in 2014 for terrorising. bu the is still in the USA. the conversation with Obama has been made two years ago.
http://www.birgun.net/haber-detay/in-operasyonu-hiz-kazandi-gulen-abd-den-resmen-istenecek-73245.html
Original post by GovernorC
they ve been doing that since 2014.

Kerry says the US has not received an official extradition request.

Furthermore, as Turkey's judiciary is now almost fully under the control of the government and not independent any more, the US should not extradite Gülen as there is no chance he would get a fair trial.*
Original post by Sir Fox
Kerry says the US has not received an official extradition request.

Furthermore, as Turkey's judiciary is now almost fully under the control of the government and not independent any more, the US should not extradite Gülen as there is no chance he would get a fair trial.*

the ones who were removed are traitors who were with Gulen
the ones who were removed are traitors who were with Gulen

The easiest way to get rid of your enemies - just brand them as traitors ...

If they were 'traitors' they would have needed a fair trial and if convicted removed from office. But you cannot just go and remove thousands of people from office without any evidence.

These guys aren't traitors, they were removed from office so Erdogan can accumulate more powers.*
Original post by Sir Fox
The easiest way to get rid of your enemies - just brand them as traitors ...

If they were 'traitors' they would have needed a fair trial and if convicted removed from office. But you cannot just go and remove thousands of people from office without any evidence.

These guys aren't traitors, they were removed from office so Erdogan can accumulate more powers.*

yeah?then why dont you prove? As a Turk, most of the citizens dont agree? the first attack of them was in 2014. you know what? actually ı was supporting them till that time! Think about agents. they were like them. they protected their cover well, till the coup.
HSYK says all of the 2745 has already had investigation files
http://t24.com.tr/haber/aa-2745-hakim-ve-savci-hakkinda-gozalti-karari,350362
yeah?then why dont you prove?

I don't need to prove anything. The burden of proof is on the accuser. Those accusing the judges of wrongdoing have to prove their guilt, not the other way around.
Original post by Sir Fox
I don't need to prove anything. The burden of proof is on the accuser. Those accusing the judges of wrongdoing have to prove their guilt, not the other way around.

okay you are right about that.

ı wrote they had investigation files before all these things, and I think that is the end. have a nice day
So is my holiday to Turkey on Tuesday safe or not?...
FAA has banned all commercial/private flights between the US and Turkey
Original post by Mathemagicien
We can only hope its a coup, anything is better than Erdogan (an increasingly Islamist and anti-secularist president who is strongly concentrating power around himself)

Friday night is always the best time for a coup, imo, since things can settle down before the working week

Edit: here's the Reddit live thread. https://www.reddit.com/live/x9gf3donjlkq

Summary: Looks like a group (now looks like the land and air leaders) in the Turkish military took their head general hostage, taken over TV stations, airport, bridges, shot down a police helecopter, called a curfew and martial law, social media partially blocked. The military statement is that secularism needs to be restored. Erdogan's party called for people to get on the streets (something that they had previously banned). Unfortunately Erdogan is apparently safe, and his PM is and has been claiming for a while that the coup has failed. Erdogan has issued a statement from an undisclosed secure location. Turkish Army shot pro-Erdogan fanatic who ran at army positions screaming "Allahu Akbar". Mosques are supporting Erdogan, relentlessly calling prayer, in order to get people into the streets. Explosions heard at news agency. Military helicopter fired at surface. Some soldiers have been arrested by the police (lol). Shooting at airport. Erdogan supporters clashing with army, shouting "Allahu Akbar". Clashes between pro-Erdogan and pro-military protesters. Some police killed in attack on police special forces headquarters, while some pro coup protesters have been killed by pro-government protesters, and some pro-government protesters have been injured by the military. Some soldiers who surrendered to police have been killed by pro-government protesters. Many commentators describe the coup attempt as "staged" after Erdogan calls it a "gift from Allah."

Turkey's military does not answer to its president like many other countries. They serve to maintain the vision of the country's founder, the secularist Attaturk, who was determined that Turkey be a westernised state - he removed Islam as the state religion, adopted the Gregorian calendar, etc.. The current president, Erdogan, has been pushing more and more islamist-focused laws (control of the media, things like that). This goes against the secular-focus of the country's founding.The military has decided the president needs to be removed, and have staged a coup to accomplish this. This is not unique in Turkey's history, their military has done this a few times in the past for the same reasons. Presumably, the military's goal is to put someone more secular in power of the government.The police in Turkey work for the government. So they are fighting against the military currently.

Note also that there is mandatory military service in Turkey, while the police are seen as corrupt, so the public is generally supportive of the military, excluding islamists and other supporters of Erdogone.

The 1st army command is pro-government, as is the special forces commander

Also, Syrians are partying, they are very happy about this coup.

Sadly those that protested think hes
Ideal for the country as the coup has,been foiled and the 3000+ soldiers arrested no doubt be tortured by this insane dictator.

He's turning it into an Islamist country with strict restrictions and so on

Posted from TSR Mobile
So guys, the bomb that I thought blew off near me was about in one kilometers radius and was aimed to the Police Department of Atasehir Province in Istanbul to keep them away from the streets. No one was injured tho.
Original post by SMEGGGY
Sadly those that protested think hes
Ideal for the country as the coup has,been foiled and the 3000+ soldiers arrested no doubt be tortured by this insane dictator.

He's turning it into an Islamist country with strict restrictions and so on

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now, one of the epic dilemmas of liberalism is under discussion. Should liberals tolerate this non-liberalization and Islamization if it is done democratically?
Original post by TheAtaKhan
So guys, the bomb that I thought blew off near me was about in one kilometers radius and was aimed to the Police Department of Atasehir Province in Istanbul to keep them away from the streets. No one was injured tho.

Good to hear that you're safe mate (and that the bomb did no real damage to anyone else).
Turkish soldiers are being beaten to death in the streets. Civilised country my ass.
Apparently the plotters did try to kill Erdogan - he's now saying that his holiday villa (probably a palace, knowing him) was bombed by the coup just after he left it. Sounds like the corrupt Turkish leader got a tip off and has been extremely lucky to have survived.

All kind of puts the "imminent EU accession of Turkey" debate in perspective. :rolleyes: I wonder if Farage would still be claiming that they are about to join if the referendum was today?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Apparently the plotters did try to kill Erdogan - he's now saying that his holiday villa (probably a palace, knowing him) was bombed by the coup just after he left it. Sounds like the corrupt Turkish leader got a tip off and has been extremely lucky to have survived.

Already proven false. It makes no sense that it would be bombed after anyway, why not shoot down his aircraft on the way to the airport in Istanbul? I was tracking the plane online myself!
Original post by Fullofsurprises

All kind of puts the "imminent EU accession of Turkey" debate in perspective. :rolleyes: I wonder if Farage would still be claiming that they are about to join if the referendum was today?

To be fair, while any claims that Turkey might've joined the EU any time within the next decade were absurd and indicative of a lack of understanding of how EU ascension works, I don't think it's out of order to suggest that since Turkey is in a very strong negotiating position currently (the war, the migrant issue etc), they could potentially gain benefits with the EU, even if not a member. I don't think free movement would ever be included as it would be insane but it's not completely irrational to suggest it could be possible down the line, since EU membership is not required for this as we see with other countries. Again, I don't see it but stranger things have happened..........

As for this coup, I can't help but wonder what Russia is thinking of all this.........
Original post by KimKallstrom
To be fair, while any claims that Turkey might've joined the EU any time within the next decade were absurd and indicative of a lack of understanding of how EU ascension works, I don't think it's out of order to suggest that since Turkey is in a very strong negotiating position currently (the war, the migrant issue etc), they could potentially gain benefits with the EU, even if not a member. I don't think free movement would ever be included as it would be insane but it's not completely irrational to suggest it could be possible down the line, since EU membership is not required for this as we see with other countries. Again, I don't see it but stranger things have happened..........

As for this coup, I can't help but wonder what Russia is thinking of all this.........

Sorry but my awareness of turkish politics is pretty bad. Why do people not like Erdogan? He bought the economy out of recession?
Also why is this 'contempt' not addressed to the prime minister but the president (ERDOGAN)??
Original post by Gladiatorsword
Sorry but my awareness of turkish politics is pretty bad. Why do people not like Erdogan? He bought the economy out of recession?
Also why is this 'contempt' not addressed to the prime minister but the president (ERDOGAN)??

He is an Islamist, that's why.
just read about that just now! crazy stuff going on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending