The Student Room Group

RAF Pilot Recruitment

Hey all,

Obviously with recent occurances its right for countries to strengthen their miliatary power, but was wondering if anyone new why the Pilot role for the RAF was closed for over a year, then opened in May 23 and is still open now in Feb 24? Are they just not getting enough people or after a lot of new personel?

Thanks
Reply 1
Closing and opening recruitment can happen with any roles in the military.

Based on recent history, recruiters know how many people they need to apply to get the numbers to fill the available slots, allowing for those who drop out during selection, training and during their career. If there's sufficient numbers going through they'll stop recruiting, and open it once they need more. Sometimes there'll be a bigger attrition rate, for example if courses are scarce and people get fed up of waiting, or if they are short on candidates for a particular stream.
Original post by Surnia
Closing and opening recruitment can happen with any roles in the military.

Based on recent history, recruiters know how many people they need to apply to get the numbers to fill the available slots, allowing for those who drop out during selection, training and during their career. If there's sufficient numbers going through they'll stop recruiting, and open it once they need more. Sometimes there'll be a bigger attrition rate, for example if courses are scarce and people get fed up of waiting, or if they are short on candidates for a particular stream.
Ah okay fair enough, must be a big shortage for it to be open for 8 months rather than just a couple weeks haha
Reply 3
Original post by Volcanodominate
Ah okay fair enough, must be a big shortage for it to be open for 8 months rather than just a couple weeks haha
No, thar's normal. They need to get enough people to feed into training at certain points in the year and it's not a quick process.

i did 2 years as an RAF Recruiter and it was rarer for branches and trades to be closed than open, even pilot.
Original post by Surnia
No, thar's normal. They need to get enough people to feed into training at certain points in the year and it's not a quick process.

i did 2 years as an RAF Recruiter and it was rarer for branches and trades to be closed than open, even pilot.
Ahhh okay fair enough haha, yeh it's been a long process my application went in last May and finally have OASC on Tuesday
Reply 5
Original post by Volcanodominate
Ahhh okay fair enough haha, yeh it's been a long process my application went in last May and finally have OASC on Tuesday
Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest