The Student Room Group

Part-Time MA English at Uni of Reading '16 - How to make sure I don't miss out?

Hi guys!

I'm starting a part-time MA in English at the Uni of Reading this September. I completed my undergrad in 2011 and I'm lucky enough that my current workplace is allowing me a little time each week to attend classes.

I have two queries...first of all, any advice for managing a part-time MA around full-time work? Including managing expectations at work if there's a last minute class, etc?

Secondly, how do I make sure I'm not missing out on all the social life too? I still want to try and get involved in societies and make friends on my course but I realise as I'm not living on campus/there full-time I could be missing out.

Annnddd if you're also doing an MA at Reading this year say hi!

Thank you in advance for any advice,

Nat
Original post by nats_t
Hi guys!

I'm starting a part-time MA in English at the Uni of Reading this September. I completed my undergrad in 2011 and I'm lucky enough that my current workplace is allowing me a little time each week to attend classes.

I have two queries...first of all, any advice for managing a part-time MA around full-time work? Including managing expectations at work if there's a last minute class, etc?

Secondly, how do I make sure I'm not missing out on all the social life too? I still want to try and get involved in societies and make friends on my course but I realise as I'm not living on campus/there full-time I could be missing out.

Nat

Well honey, I don't know a lot but I know this much; I know loads of undergrads who just about had time for a society when they were working part-time and working a on a degree. And you yourself knows how hard and stressful undergrad can be, especially if you're a high achiever.

I honestly think you have to be realistic about your situation. Your situation is that you'll be attending a few classes a week, you'll still be working full-time AND you'll be doing a lot of research and stuff for your MA. Therefore, I don't think it's likely of you to partake in a society that has weekly meetings or nights out and whatnot. You are a student, but you're not THAT kind of student. You have responsibilities as a grown woman now and unfortunately, I don't see you joining more than 1 society and expect to carry all the other things you got in your life.

There is definitely no harm in trying, but I doubt you'll have time for societies! :angelwings: :flutter:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nats_t
Hi guys!

Nat

You may find this blog by codle helpful! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3560143
Reading at Reading; Codle's MA English study blog!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I did an MA full time and had no social life, even without a job. It's an intense year and many (but not all) Masters students will be heavily involved on the academic side. My experience was that I could do things like have lunch/coffee with course colleagues during the working day, but there was nothing going on at evenings or weekends as we were generally in the library, researching elsewhere or writing up.

The PhD students definitely had a more active social life than those on the Masters courses in my department!
Reply 4
Thank you for the honest reply! :smile: SorryI should have been clearer - I'm not so concerned about the societies in general it's more I'm worried about feeling like a bit of an "outsider" because I'm coming into this a few years after graduating, I'll only be part-time and I won't be living on campus. Obivously my research is at the forefront of my mind but it'd be nice not to feel totally out of the loop in the uni community too!

Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Well honey, I don't know a lot but I know this much; I know loads of undergrads who just about had time for a society when they were working part-time and working a on a degree. And you yourself knows how hard and stressful undergrad can be, especially if you're a high achiever.

I honestly think you have to be realistic about your situation. Your situation is that you'll be attending a few classes a week, you'll still be working full-time AND you'll be doing a lot of research and stuff for your MA. Therefore, I don't think it's likely of you to partake in a society that has weekly meetings or nights out and whatnot. You are a student, but you're not THAT kind of student. You have responsibilities as a grown woman now and unfortunately, I don't see you joining more than 1 society and expect to carry all the other things you got in your life.

There is definitely no harm in trying, but I doubt you'll have time for societies! :angelwings: :flutter:
Reply 5
I have already been reading this religiously but thank you! :smile:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You may find this blog by codle helpful! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3560143
Reading at Reading; Codle's MA English study blog!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Lunch/coffee with course colleagues is all I'm looking for to be honest! Preparing myself for lots of library sessions....

Original post by Klix88
I did an MA full time and had no social life, even without a job. It's an intense year and many (but not all) Masters students will be heavily involved on the academic side. My experience was that I could do things like have lunch/coffee with course colleagues during the working day, but there was nothing going on at evenings or weekends as we were generally in the library, researching elsewhere or writing up.

The PhD students definitely had a more active social life than those on the Masters courses in my department!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending