The Student Room Group

Reading at Reading; Codle's MA English study blog!

I'm off to the University of Reading to study an MA (Res) in English this year... So you can expect this study blog to mostly be an account of me reading some books and writing a few essays!

I'll update soon with some more info, but for now I'm still waiting to start. But hopefully when I get going this might be of interest to other postgrads or people thinking about doing a master's.

And who knows where it might lead - if this year goes well, one day I might be starting a PhD blog!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Subscribed :smile:
I love the title :biggrin:
Haha, genius title - subscribing :biggrin:
Reply 4
Thank you all :biggrin:

My first update - kind of:

I'm really excited to start! I've got a reading list that I've been making a start with - the thing with English is that there's always a lot to read, so I like to start before the start of term. I've read two of them and have been reading the introductions / making notes in the hope that it'll help me when we get round to discussing them in seminars. I still have four to read, including the one I've started. But luckily I did two of them for my undergrad, so it won't take too long to remind myself of what they're about!

Also, I went to the bank today to persuade them to keep my account as a student account for another year. The poor woman behind the desk wasn't sure how to sort it out, but hopefully she's getting it sorted now! :smile:
Original post by codle
Thank you all :biggrin:

My first update - kind of:

I'm really excited to start! I've got a reading list that I've been making a start with - the thing with English is that there's always a lot to read, so I like to start before the start of term. I've read two of them and have been reading the introductions / making notes in the hope that it'll help me when we get round to discussing them in seminars. I still have four to read, including the one I've started. But luckily I did two of them for my undergrad, so it won't take too long to remind myself of what they're about!

Also, I went to the bank today to persuade them to keep my account as a student account for another year. The poor woman behind the desk wasn't sure how to sort it out, but hopefully she's getting it sorted now! :smile:

Hope you get the bank thing sorted. I only recently got round to trying to revert my account back to a student account and am yet to hear yet whether it's all sorted :s-smilie:

Sounds like you've made a good start on your work for the MA - well done :awesome:
I hope they sort that out. In my experience people have a remarkable way of forgetting what they agreed to do, moments after you leave the branch :pinch:

You sound really dedicated! I don't think I've ever done reading in advance in my life. I'm a terrible procrastinator :s-smilie:

Btw if I'm not too nosey, are you moving to Reading? I see from your sig you were at Winchester :p: Many moons ago I lived in Andover, so the area is familiar stomping grounds for me :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hope you get the bank thing sorted. I only recently got round to trying to revert my account back to a student account and am yet to hear yet whether it's all sorted :s-smilie:

Sounds like you've made a good start on your work for the MA - well done :awesome:

Hopefully it's not too difficult, but I'll have to wait and see if they need anything else from me! Ah well.
And thank you :smile:

Original post by Craghyrax
I hope they sort that out. In my experience people have a remarkable way of forgetting what they agreed to do, moments after you leave the branch :pinch:

You sound really dedicated! I don't think I've ever done reading in advance in my life. I'm a terrible procrastinator :s-smilie:

Btw if I'm not too nosey, are you moving to Reading? I see from your sig you were at Winchester :p: Many moons ago I lived in Andover, so the area is familiar stomping grounds for me :smile:

Very true - fingers crossed it gets remembered!
I tend to do some of the reading in advance just because of the amount of things I have to read. I have a list with six books on it, but apparently we'll be given more to read for this term once we arrive... I have been procrastinating slightly though!
I actually live near Reading so I'll be commuting :smile: my family home is in Thatcham, near Newbury. I lived in Winchester when I studied there, though.
Original post by codle

I tend to do some of the reading in advance just because of the amount of things I have to read. I have a list with six books on it, but apparently we'll be given more to read for this term once we arrive... I have been procrastinating slightly though!
I actually live near Reading so I'll be commuting :smile: my family home is in Thatcham, near Newbury. I lived in Winchester when I studied there, though.

Cool :yy: Good luck!
In to watch! :biggrin:
Reply 10
So, it's now only 10 days until the start of Welcome Week, when hopefully I'll find out more about how the next year of my life is going to run!
In preparation, I've done a little bit of reading. I probably should've done more recently, but at least I've done some.
I've read the first two books on my reading list and have been making some notes on the introductions in the hope that this will be useful information later on! I've also started book number 3. Luckily I studied books 4 and 6 on the list for my undergrad, so when I get to those it should just be a bit of a recap.
Next week I'm going on an impromptu holiday with some friends, but I'm sure I'll take a few of the books with me to look at while I'm there!
Good luck, Elle :smile:
Original post by codle
So, it's now only 10 days until the start of Welcome Week, when hopefully I'll find out more about how the next year of my life is going to run!
In preparation, I've done a little bit of reading. I probably should've done more recently, but at least I've done some.
I've read the first two books on my reading list and have been making some notes on the introductions in the hope that this will be useful information later on! I've also started book number 3. Luckily I studied books 4 and 6 on the list for my undergrad, so when I get to those it should just be a bit of a recap.
Next week I'm going on an impromptu holiday with some friends, but I'm sure I'll take a few of the books with me to look at while I'm there!

Catchy thread title :lol:

Seeing as freshers week begins the following week, I'm a bit curious but do you think you will be signing up to any societies or will you be too busy for them as a post grad?

I'll be starting my third year at Reading, as an undergrad :smile:
Original post by codle

Impromptu holiday :colone:

Sounds like you're making solid pre-start of course progress - well done :awesome:
Reply 14
Original post by James A
Catchy thread title :lol:

Seeing as freshers week begins the following week, I'm a bit curious but do you think you will be signing up to any societies or will you be too busy for them as a post grad?

I'll be starting my third year at Reading, as an undergrad :smile:

Hey :smile: I was thinking I might join a society or two but I don't want to do too much... But I did a choir during my undergrad at Winchester so it might be nice to keep that up. Why, any other good societies out there? :tongue:
Ah that's cool, what subject are you doing?

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Impromptu holiday :colone:

Sounds like you're making solid pre-start of course progress - well done :awesome:

Yep, a friend contacted me this week to say her friends had dropped out of a holiday they had booked and did I want to go instead... So we're off on a very cheap Pontins holiday! Should be interesting...
Thank you :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by lustawny
Good luck, Elle :smile:

Thank you :biggrin: x
Reply 16
So, I've had my first week as a postgrad! I've just been to a few talks and explored the campus, but it's been good getting to know the place. I've also looked into signing up for a few societies, and I've met some new people - including a fellow TSR user!

I've done the reading I need to do for next week. Although the broadband is down at home for a few days now, so I might have to go into uni to get some things done early next week! Ah well.

Overall it's been really good to start getting to know my new university and I can't wait to start for real next week!
Original post by codle
So, I've had my first week as a postgrad! I've just been to a few talks and explored the campus, but it's been good getting to know the place. I've also looked into signing up for a few societies, and I've met some new people - including a fellow TSR user!

I've done the reading I need to do for next week. Although the broadband is down at home for a few days now, so I might have to go into uni to get some things done early next week! Ah well.

Overall it's been really good to start getting to know my new university and I can't wait to start for real next week!

This is great news! I'm really glad it's all going well for you so far, and I hope it continues to do so! :smile:
Original post by codle

Good to hear you are settling into Reading well :smile:

Uni library is opened 24 hours btw incase you really need the internet from there!

http://wifi.reading.ac.uk/ incase you haven't done it yet :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by lustawny
This is great news! I'm really glad it's all going well for you so far, and I hope it continues to do so! :smile:

Thank you :-) I'll let you know how it goes :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending