The Student Room Group

Should an aspiring screenwriter consider going to university?

I want to get into screenwriting, as the idea of writing for tv and film interests me.

To succeed in the film/tv industry, you need connections and I don't have any.
I don't know whether to go to university. If I was going to consider it, it would be an English or humanities degree and I would only really be going for the connections.

I'm not sure whether it would be a good idea to go to university with the intention of building industry connections or just not bother at all and try to find my own way into the industry.
Any advice would be appreciated :smile:
(edited 9 months ago)
I know a degree isn't necessary, but would it be wise to attend uni if I want to build a career in screenwriting?
A creative writing degree somewhere where you can work with student filmmakers would be one way to build your skills and portfolio of work. And also build your professional network of contacts.

Whether it’s right for you is a very personal decision. I would recommend it’s worth applying and visiting universities with strong creative writing and film production courses to see what you think
If you want to be a screenwriter why would you choose an academic degree instead of a creative writing degree that would give you assistance with improving your skills and portfolio?
Reply 4
If you study screenwriting, you will learn about story structure & genre and skill up in industry-standard screenwriting software. You should be taught by experienced screenwriters who know how to read and critique screenplays and understand how the industry works. These are the things I would be looking at if I was shopping around for a course.
I think you will struggle to find an undergraduate screenwriting degree but you will find lots at postgraduate level. You could go for an undergraduate film production course but there may be little guarantee that screenplays written by you would end up being made into films (unless this is promised in the course prospectus).
Most of the screenwriters I know do other jobs while they write their scripts. They have agents who promote their work. All did post-grad MAs or MFAs in Screenwriting. Most started out in short films before trying to break into features.
I know a degree isn't necessary, but would it be wise to attend uni if I want to build a career in screenwriting?
Original post by cheadle
If you study screenwriting, you will learn about story structure & genre and skill up in industry-standard screenwriting software. You should be taught by experienced screenwriters who know how to read and critique screenplays and understand how the industry works. These are the things I would be looking at if I was shopping around for a course.
I think you will struggle to find an undergraduate screenwriting degree but you will find lots at postgraduate level. You could go for an undergraduate film production course but there may be little guarantee that screenplays written by you would end up being made into films (unless this is promised in the course prospectus).
Most of the screenwriters I know do other jobs while they write their scripts. They have agents who promote their work. All did post-grad MAs or MFAs in Screenwriting. Most started out in short films before trying to break into features.

About the bit in bold - what 'jobs' do they do out of interest? Just ordinary day jobs or jobs that are in the film industry?
I'm just not entirely sure whether university is for me.
Reply 7
Some are in education (school teachers, part-time uni lecturers). Some do coffee shop type work. Some are actors or in the arts.

The issue is what gives enough time (and leave you with enough energy and give you enough money to live off) to write your scripts. Industry jobs are generally high-pressured with long hours, so while they might seem like a good option, they may not leave enough time for writing.

Screenskills have a useful section on Screenwriting here https://www.screenskills.com/job-profiles/browse/film-and-tv-drama/development-film-and-tv-drama-job-profiles/screenwriter/

If you want to test the water, you could do a short intensive screenwriting week at the Arvon Foundation like this residential week https://www.arvon.org/writing-courses/courses-retreats/residential-writing-week-writing-for-the-screen/

If you're not into the idea of uni, then I would trust that feeling but then, of course, you will need a plan.
Can you out write chatgpt?
Original post by HucktheForde

BADDE4C1-1938-42D6-90A3-A0BF0194407A.png
DAC688EB-0A73-4BC3-ACED-F67BA381CE12.png
Original post by HucktheForde

What's chatpgt? Never heard of it.
Original post by cheadle
Some are in education (school teachers, part-time uni lecturers). Some do coffee shop type work. Some are actors or in the arts.

The issue is what gives enough time (and leave you with enough energy and give you enough money to live off) to write your scripts. Industry jobs are generally high-pressured with long hours, so while they might seem like a good option, they may not leave enough time for writing.

Screenskills have a useful section on Screenwriting here https://www.screenskills.com/job-profiles/browse/film-and-tv-drama/development-film-and-tv-drama-job-profiles/screenwriter/

If you want to test the water, you could do a short intensive screenwriting week at the Arvon Foundation like this residential week https://www.arvon.org/writing-courses/courses-retreats/residential-writing-week-writing-for-the-screen/

If you're not into the idea of uni, then I would trust that feeling but then, of course, you will need a plan.

Well if I was to consider uni, then the only subjects I'd consider studying are English or social sciences, like sociology.
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous
Well if I was to consider uni, then the only subjects I'd consider studying are English or social sciences, like sociology.

Screenskills recoommends English or psychology (but says a degree not essential to make it as a screenwriter) so you're in the right fields.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by username6289453
I want to get into screenwriting, as the idea of writing for tv and film interests me.

To succeed in the film/tv industry, you need connections and I don't have any.
I don't know whether to go to university. If I was going to consider it, it would be an English or humanities degree and I would only really be going for the connections.

I'm not sure whether it would be a good idea to go to university with the intention of building industry connections or just not bother at all and try to find my own way into the industry.
Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

Though my aspirations aren’t entirely on screen writing and film, I did recently graduate from an English Literature and Creative Writing degree and I can most definitely say, having done various film modules and reading other people’s scripts, that it is most definitely worth doing a degree.

You could certainly try looking at joint honours for film studies and creative writing at universities which offer it (I know my university does) and take any screen writing modules you can find on the creative writing half! That would boost not only your skills in the profession but it would also provide a professional degree qualification that a lot of employers will look at, giving you an edge in a competitive industry like film writing!

As for connections, I’m not sure about every university, but for mine every tutor you have will be active in the industry, writing novels to screen plays etc. That is an absolutely fantastic way to expand your connections!

Hope this helps,
Dom
@cheadle there are some BAs for Screenwriting, mostly with Creative Writing or Film Studies but some offer it singly. Chichester and Birkbeck spring to mind for undergrad courses, and Chichester has a very highly rated Creative Writing department.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 16
Yes there are more than I realised.
In addition to the ones you mention @hilly-harrier, Plymouth, Central Film School, Huddersfield, Portsmouth, Birmingham City, Sheffield Hallam, East London, Worcester. Some pure screenwriting, others in combo with film or creative writing.
Reply 17
I think it is a good idea to start dabbling in this type of writing, to try it out. There are screenwriting books it may be worth reading. I haven't checked the entry criteria but the BBC have script competitions sometimes. If you want to try radio writing I think that there is the occasional radio programme around which may accept short comedy sketches open door (good practice). Getting stuff on them is very difficult as there are many writers competing hard! I used to think I wanted to do a certain type of writing. Then I tried it out and changed my mind and found I preferred another type.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/opportunities

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001m6ch

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000czyb/episodes/downloads

https://script-consultant.co.uk/channel-4-screenwriting-course/

I think The Skewer seems to accept sketches from aspiring writers but never tried writing for it myself so I am not sure how! The Skewer is also on twitter and its main creator is called Jon Holmes. It's all good experience and good fun.
(edited 7 months ago)
Also speaking personally I think it's important to work out whether you're a writer who wants to write some screenplays, or an aspiring filmmaker who wants to do the writing part of filmmaking - hope that makes sense. I think if you definitely see yourself as primarily wanting to make films, a Film degree with a Screenwriting MA is a much more usual route. There are also postgrad-only CILECT film schools.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending