The Student Room Group

Britain entering a recession?

Lots of warnings coming through now about the economy. The Bank of England is widely forecast to be cutting rates shortly, from the already-low 0.5% (once they've done this cut, that method of stimulating the economy will be fully exhausted) - the all-important Service PMI (which predicts what services are going to buy) is sharply down and many economists are predicting a recession.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/08/03/ftse-100-to-open-lower-hsbc-gets-pummelled-and-next-faces-higher/

So much for all the lies from the Brexiteers about everything looking much better than Remainers said it would. In fact, if anything, it's looking worse.

Scroll to see replies

When the economy is looking good in the wake of the vote to leave, you can't shrug and say we haven't left yet so it doesn't count, only to blame any negative signs on the brexit vote. Intellectually this is very dishonest.
Original post by Atlas Thugged
When the economy is looking good in the wake of the vote to leave, you can't shrug and say we haven't left yet so it doesn't count, only to blame any negative signs on the brexit vote. Intellectually this is very dishonest.

Is the economy looking good?

You really need to look at 1,2,3,4,5 and 10 years from now to get a better idea what the impact has been.

Any data so far hasnt really included brexit. Hard to say what the impact has been. PMI is the closest we have.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Lots of warnings coming through now about the economy. The Bank of England is widely forecast to be cutting rates shortly, from the already-low 0.5% (once they've done this cut, that method of stimulating the economy will be fully exhausted) - the all-important Service PMI (which predicts what services are going to buy) is sharply down and many economists are predicting a recession.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/08/03/ftse-100-to-open-lower-hsbc-gets-pummelled-and-next-faces-higher/

So much for all the lies from the Brexiteers about everything looking much better than Remainers said it would. In fact, if anything, it's looking worse.

Nothing to do with the government and banks sabotaging this country since the end of WW2 then....

Europe is in far worse shape, its finished.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/credit-suisse-deutsche-bank-being-booted-from-top-index-is-another-blow-for-banks-2016-08-02

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/695282/Italy-Unicredit-shares-SUSPENDED-as-bank-crisis-grows
(edited 7 years ago)

Please give examples of how the economy is looking good, when the consensus amongst experts is that it isn't.
Please give examples of how the economy is looking good, when the consensus amongst experts is that it isn't.

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/684050/Brexit-recovery-Markets-stabilise-as-pound-rebounds-and-FTSE-100-fights-back

I'm not claiming the outlook is good bear in mind, I do however think that there is a certain faction of the remain voters who have acted with hypocrisy in the wake of the outcome of the EU referendum and I trust you are not a part of that.
http://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/684050/Brexit-recovery-Markets-stabilise-as-pound-rebounds-and-FTSE-100-fights-back

I'm not claiming the outlook is good bear in mind, I do however think that there is a certain faction of the remain voters who have acted with hypocrisy in the wake of the outcome of the EU referendum and I trust you are not a part of that.

There is a world wide crisis coming, and still people so dense as to be fighting each other than who really did this to them AGAIN (The Banks & Government)

Also I don't think a Third World War can be stopped now, its just a matter of when and not if now.
“When there is no enemy within, the enemies outside cannot hurt you.” Winston S. Churchill“

All for one and one for all, united we stand divided we fall.” Alexandre Dumas, The Three Musketeers“

As every divided kingdom falls, so every mind divided between many studies confounds and saps itself.” Leonardo da Vinci
Original post by ABadManTing
There is a world wide crisis coming, and still people so dense as to be fighting each other than who really did this to them AGAIN (The Banks & Government)

Also I don't think a Third World War can be stopped now, its just a matter of when and not if now.

I doubt this, the Asian and South American markets are recovering, I genuine expect to see a world free of poverty and serious war at some point in my life. If you ask me all these brexit fears are completely overblown.
(edited 7 years ago)
I doubt this, the Asian and South American markets are recovering, I genuine expect to see a world free of poverty and serious war at some point in my life.

I am afraid your going to be disappointed, would be nice if it somehow happend though.

Wasn't due to brexit was a guarantee before brexit happend
Reply 10
“When there is no enemy within, the enemies outside cannot hurt you.” Winston S. Churchill“

All for one and one for all, united we stand divided we fall.” Alexandre Dumas, The Three Musketeers“

As every divided kingdom falls, so every mind divided between many studies confounds and saps itself.” Leonardo da Vinci

So how does leaving (dividing) the EU help?
I am afraid your going to be disappointed, would be nice if it somehow happend though

Why? Western Europe is well developed and the East will follow. The (East) Asian counties will also see huge increases in the quality of life experienced by their citizens and it's the same with South America (which culturally is part of the West).

That leaves the Islamic world and Africa. Africa is doing a whole lot better than people think, places like Nigeria and Ghana are experience a lot of growth and once the oil money dries up the Saudis will have to grow up a bit and actually be well educated liberals if they want to keep up with the rest of us.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
So how does leaving (dividing) the EU help?

I thought World War 2 showed a united Europe doesn't work, different values and languages actually serves to divide people more.

Humans are tribal too which is why doesn't work
Reply 13
I thought World War 2 showed a united Europe doesn't work, different values and languages actually serves to divide people more.

Humans are tribal too which is why doesn't work

And yet you quoted things like "divided we fall..."

And in what sense did WW2 feature a "united Europe"?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
And yet you quoted things like "divided we fall..."

We will see the "clever" the multiculturalists are when this country ends up in civil war, its there family etc that can die defending it because I am fleeing, not cleaning up the mess of idiots with the lives of my family.

Hitler wanted a United Europe and succeeded nearly

Can I just remind everyone that Winston Churchill was instrumental in founding the European Community and was a great advocate of Europe-wide institutions?
Reply 16
We will see the "clever" the multiculturalists are when this country ends up in civil war, its there family etc that can die defending it because I am fleeing, not cleaning up the mess of idiots with the lives of my family.

Hitler wanted a United Europe and succeeded nearly

Again, why quote "divided we fall" if you don't want to be united?

By the way, Hitler also liked Referendums.
Original post by jneill
Again, why quote "divided we fall" if you don't want to be united?

Except it isn't united its actually more divided that ever. its united in the sense you are ruled over and powerless to stop your rulers doing what the hell they want (Just look at the EU)

Yes you are united, united for a shafting up the ass from Brussels.
Original post by jneill

They are a favourite tool of fascist and reactionary governments everywhere.
Reply 19

You need two consecutive trimesters to be in recession. Wait for the figures of the 3rd quarter in October.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending