The Student Room Group

Survey: Only 18% of Germans would fight for their country

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jake4198

I'm a conservative. And I'm proud of British history and the contribution that Britain has made to the world over the last century.

Original post by jake4198
I wouldn't fight for Britain as it is today because why would I risk my life for blue-haired lesbians and out of touch politicians?

That's a contradiction to me, one that exposes hypocrisy and intolerance.

So you'd be ok for Britain to cease to exist, to be nothing more than a historical 'honourable mention', rather than fighting to turn your country around (if it needs that is another question for another day, but I'll just roll with your fascist, populist views) and let it continue making those 'contributions'?
I wouldn't fight for my country tbh.
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
Blah blah blah. I can't be bothered getting into a long debate, so keep whining.

It's called pointing out your hypocrisy, for which you have no defence.
Reply 63
59 russia and 73 turkey.

Some dodgy correlation between wanting to fight for your country, and living in a *****y country with dictatorial rule.
Reply 64
Original post by !!mentor!!
I think if we look upon the Germans with disdain, then we should look upon ourselves with disdain as well. Going by that infograph 27% of Brits would fight. But reality doesn't match up with that.
The Army is is decreasing from it standing strength of 101,000 men to about 82.000 men by the year 2020. And even with the reduction in numbers the Army is still struggling to recruit.
Most of those 27% were talking s**t. Like MagicNMedicine said, if they're willing to fight, prove it.
Anyway, the Germans have conscription whereby they can join the forces or join a public service organisation.

Not anymore. And you could always do civil service instead of military service.
Reply 65
Original post by Inexorably
Idk why Germany is being focused on and also I dunno why some people in here have some kinda sense of superiority here considering we're literally only 9% higher than Germany...

Though I literally see no problem with this. I think it when comes to an actual war scenario, the stats would be diff.

No. You are 50% higher.

9% higher. 9% points higher of 18% is 50%...
Original post by inhuman
And the opinion strikes in yet another *****y fashion.

He's right though in this instance and neither me nor my parents are from here. We're talking about the country that was sending naval ships to Africa to cockblock slavers while everyone else was just sitting around finger popping eachother's arse holes
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WBZ144
It's called pointing out your hypocrisy, for which you have no defence.

Whatever. I don't have time to give you a defence.
Depends why I'm expected to fight. I certainly have no interest in expeditionary warfare, mostly to satisfy the America military-industrial complex, and it's need for constant conflict.

Would I fight to defend the UK from a real threat? Aye probably.
Original post by Inexorably
Idk why Germany is being focused on and also I dunno why some people in here have some kinda sense of superiority here considering we're literally only 9% higher than Germany...

Though I literally see no problem with this. I think it when comes to an actual war scenario, the stats would be diff.

The exact stats are not too important i feel but rather the perception. As much as the British quasi-racism is not exactly great one does get the impression that we're nationalist enough to stand up to a threat. Germany gives the impression that it would roll over and invite their population to come live their.

For a nation like Germany to willingly import the third world in their millions is incredibly disheartening.
Original post by Rakas21
The exact stats are not too important i feel but rather the perception. As much as the British quasi-racism is not exactly great one does get the impression that we're nationalist enough to stand up to a threat. Germany gives the impression that it would roll over and invite their population to come live their.

For a nation like Germany to willingly import the third world in their millions is incredibly disheartening.

And yet they're better than us, at just about everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bornblue
And yet they're better than us, at just about everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Superior economic management will go out the window if your country becomes full of third worlders who don't share your values.
Reply 72
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Not guilt complex (we are dealing with that one by sending a few hundred million Euros to Israel every year). We just learned from experience.

Sorry Heiko Mass but this you can tell to foreigners. As someone who can speak German abd regulary watch german media I can say it is not only about money.

You are constantly reminded by your own media that you are basically evil people. Every day yoz can find a doku about the Third Reich on ARD and the newspaper make at least in one news a reference to that period. The BRD media are so political correct that even the UK media outlets like Guardian is a right-wing paper conpared to them.

Ah, you mean the xenophobic unwashed masses, the scum that torches refugee homes? A tiny minority. Just like the Cologne molesters were a tiny minority of decent refugees fleeing from violence.

Haha. Firstly, it was recently discovered that at least the half of the burning are comiteed by refugees itelfs (usually accidentaly). Your media declare this as right-wing atracks even before the police ended the investigation. You are being feeded by a myth just like few months ago it was discovered that a 30 million euro refugee center was branded by a refugee because the guy was upset for not receiving proper meal for ramadan.

Secondly, the "xenophobes" as you call them are citizens and paying taxes to the BRD for years. They have a say and rights more than the refugees whether you like it or not. Merkel never consultated the people if they wish to accept million of muslim migrants. They are not a minority considering the success of afd in all federal states.
Reply 73
Original post by KimKallstrom
He's right though in this instance and neither me nor my parents are from here. We're talking about the country that was sending naval ships to Africa to cockblock slavers while everyone else was just sitting around finger popping eachother's arse holes

Er what?
Original post by inhuman
Er what?

His message is clear and easy to understand, you are either pretending to not understand as a tactic of running away from the debate, or are just stupid.
Reply 75
Original post by The_Opinion
His message is clear and easy to understand, you are either pretending to not understand as a tactic of running away from the debate, or are just stupid.

I am not sure what cockblocking has to do with anything.
Original post by inhuman
I am not sure what cockblocking has to do with anything.

Again, it is an easy to understand analogy.
Reply 77
Original post by The_Opinion
Again, it is an easy to understand analogy.

Then I am sure you will find it easy to explain :smile:
Reply 78
I wouldn't fight 'for my country'. I wouldn't fight if there was no supportable cause a la WW1.

I'd fight out of principle if my values were truly threatened a la WW2.
Original post by slaven
You are constantly reminded by your own media that you are basically evil people. Every day yoz can find a doku about the Third Reich on ARD and the newspaper make at least in one news a reference to that period. The BRD media are so political correct that even the UK media outlets like Guardian is a right-wing paper conpared to them.

Being reminded of Germany's past does not equal telling us that we are bad people. Staying in touch with our awful history (committed by a completely different set of people two generations ago) is an important reminder and prevention mechanism of this from happening again. This doesn't cause guilt, this causes reflection and learning. I wish the BBC would show more about how the British Empire exacerbated the Irish famine, partitioned India, ran torture centers in Aden or the Boer concentration camps. It would teach you loud-mouthed Brits some much-needed humility and perspective.

Original post by slaven

Haha. Firstly, it was recently discovered that at least the half of the burning are comiteed by refugees itelfs (usually accidentaly). Your media declare this as right-wing atracks even before the police ended the investigation. You are being feeded by a myth just like few months ago it was discovered that a 30 million euro refugee center was branded by a refugee because the guy was upset for not receiving proper meal for ramadan.

Only one refugee residence being torched is one too many and a crime against humanity. If you disagree, please kill yourself right now.

Original post by slaven

Secondly, the "xenophobes" as you call them are citizens and paying taxes to the BRD for years. They have a say and rights more than the refugees whether you like it or not. Merkel never consultated the people if they wish to accept million of muslim migrants. They are not a minority considering the success of afd in all federal states.

Yep, they are tax-paying, passport-holding, xenophobic, racist cretins that any sensible politician is right not to listen to. They are a small minority - do you even know the AfD numbers? The Brexit referendum showed what happens when you give 'the people' a voice. I'll have highly educated elites make decisions for me any day rather exposing my country to the will of moronic, short-sighted peasants - I am much closer to the former than the latter. I don't want my country to end up like Britain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending