The Student Room Group

Why Cant I be a Male Teacher?

I am currently studying primary education at Bath Spa university and I have been loving every minute of it. I really enjoy teaching and working with children and I find it absolutely rewarding in every way. However despite this I very nearly did not go into this at all and have been on the verge of dropping out at many points throughout the course. I am currently a 20 year old man going into my third year of study with the overall dream of becoming a primary school teacher and as everyone who has tried to become a teacher knows it isnt easy. There is a lot of work to do and it takes a lot to stick with it. We have all had problems and faced challenges along our way and many people decide teaching is not for them but those who stick with it are dedicated to it and love what they do. I am completely commited to becoming a teacher and there is nothing I want more than for this to happen and yet I have had many doubts and been brought to tears many times throughout the process purely because it seems people believe I should not be a primary school teacher. The main problem I have had is society (friends, former teachers and family) telling me many things, and one above all others. For now a bit more background. I first went into a primary school classroom when I was in year 11 as work experience. It was the most fun I had had in a long time, it changed everything. Until then I had no idea what I wanted to do and no direction to go in but after my first day I loved it and wanted to do more. I then continued to help out throughout years 12 and 13 going in once or twice a week and helping out in lessons, experiments, school events and even field trips. I was pushed away from primary teaching many times by my head of sixth form because it wasnt an academic pursuit and as i went to a grammar school it was assumed I would do something like maths or science. I almost gave in a couple of times and changed what i was aiming for but I stuck with it and hated every interraction with my head of sixth form. The main issue I have had with becoming a teacher is the one that has reduced me to tears on several occasions and has brought me to the edge of dropping out more than anything else. Every time it is brought up that I want to go into primary teaching I get one of 2 responses. Either it is seen as very sweet and nice because I want to work with and help children. OR the news is met with many comments about me obviously being a paedophile and that being the only reason I want to go into the profession. I cannot stand hearing this and it hurts me more than anything else. I love working with children and I find it more rewarding than anything else. And to be met with comments about such a disgusting thing and being accused (even jokingly) of wanting to do that or be involved with it in any way is incredibly hurtful and pains me more than words can ever say. How is it that in todays society it can be seen as acceptable to make jokes or comments like that. How can it be that in a time when there are so few male primary school teachers and it is widely acknowledged that there is a need for more that society still tries to tear people down and constantly push them to the point where they question everything they have been doing for the past 5 years. It takes everything I have to control myself when people make comments like this (especially those I call friends or family). It is hard enough to become a teacher as it is, if you are comitted and want to go into the profession then why is that a cause for others to tear you down. It might just be me that has experienced this injustice but if there are others or any other issues like this, I would like to know. I have had many issues and I know Im not the only one. I want to hear about any issues that have been experienced. There are so many issues with teaching and teacher shortages, how can we face such an issue and still create more issues for those that want to join such an amazing, incredible and noble profession.

Scroll to see replies

If anyone actually sits and reads that huge wall of text, that person deserves a ****ing medal for their time and patience.
Original post by WoodyMKC
If anyone actually sits and reads that huge wall of text, that person deserves a ****ing medal for their time and patience.

Challenge accepted, please put medal in the post :h: (to be fair, if it's typed somewhere else and copied here the format is not carried over so all the paragraphs get deleted, which is annoying)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
Challenge accepted, please put medal in the post :h: (to be fair, if it's typed somewhere else and copied here the format is not carried over so all the paragraphs get deleted, which is annoying)

I'll include a cookie if you provide us with a TL;DR when you've finished, good sir :h:

Ahhh, so OP was then too lazy to check their own post before posting. Gotcha :wink:
Original post by Fenrir22174
I am currently studying primary education at Bath Spa university and I have been loving every minute of it. I really enjoy teaching and working with children and I find it absolutely rewarding in every way. However despite this I very nearly did not go into this at all and have been on the verge of dropping out at many points throughout the course.

I am currently a 20 year old man going into my third year of study with the overall dream of becoming a primary school teacher and as everyone who has tried to become a teacher knows it isnt easy. There is a lot of work to do and it takes a lot to stick with it. We have all had problems and faced challenges along our way and many people decide teaching is not for them but those who stick with it are dedicated to it and love what they do.

I am completely commited to becoming a teacher and there is nothing I want more than for this to happen and yet I have had many doubts and been brought to tears many times throughout the process purely because it seems people believe I should not be a primary school teacher. The main problem I have had is society (friends, former teachers and family) telling me many things, and one above all others.

For now a bit more background. I first went into a primary school classroom when I was in year 11 as work experience. It was the most fun I had had in a long time, it changed everything. Until then I had no idea what I wanted to do and no direction to go in but after my first day I loved it and wanted to do more. I then continued to help out throughout years 12 and 13 going in once or twice a week and helping out in lessons, experiments, school events and even field trips. I was pushed away from primary teaching many times by my head of sixth form because it wasnt an academic pursuit and as i went to a grammar school it was assumed I would do something like maths or science. I almost gave in a couple of times and changed what i was aiming for but I stuck with it and hated every interraction with my head of sixth form.

The main issue I have had with becoming a teacher is the one that has reduced me to tears on several occasions and has brought me to the edge of dropping out more than anything else. Every time it is brought up that I want to go into primary teaching I get one of 2 responses. Either it is seen as very sweet and nice because I want to work with and help children. OR the news is met with many comments about me obviously being a paedophile and that being the only reason I want to go into the profession. I cannot stand hearing this and it hurts me more than anything else. I love working with children and I find it more rewarding than anything else. And to be met with comments about such a disgusting thing and being accused (even jokingly) of wanting to do that or be involved with it in any way is incredibly hurtful and pains me more than words can ever say. How is it that in todays society it can be seen as acceptable to make jokes or comments like that. How can it be that in a time when there are so few male primary school teachers and it is widely acknowledged that there is a need for more that society still tries to tear people down and constantly push them to the point where they question everything they have been doing for the past 5 years.

It takes everything I have to control myself when people make comments like this (especially those I call friends or family). It is hard enough to become a teacher as it is, if you are comitted and want to go into the profession then why is that a cause for others to tear you down. It might just be me that has experienced this injustice but if there are others or any other issues like this, I would like to know. I have had many issues and I know Im not the only one. I want to hear about any issues that have been experienced. There are so many issues with teaching and teacher shortages, how can we face such an issue and still create more issues for those that want to join such an amazing, incredible and noble profession.

I would say screw all of those hurtful comments (although i know that is difficult for you to deal with by your own admittance) and do what you want to do. There's nothing wrong with being a male teacher, otherwise you never would have been taught by one, and when you're off doing a PGCE or teaching in a school you won't have as many people, if at all, repeating these things to you apart from maybe your family - but then again, maybe they'll get used to it.

With family it's a bit more difficult but with friends and former teachers, just smile and then change the subject if it ever comes up.

I am a Bath uni student funnily enough, interested in this kind of things as well and one of the 3rd year modules I hope to study (well, 3 if possible) is to do with teaching and getting involved in fairs in Baths as well as working in a school - I am also male and like working with kids - it's not weird at all, and may just 'work in your favour' in the future, though I don't know a huge amount about relationships and what your profession says about you as I am just a uni student.

Sorry to hear that you're getting **** from other people, and that hopefully this will be something you never look back on after becoming a teacher.
Reply 5
Ignore people that call you a paedophile, the likelihood is that those people have a dirty little secret of their own...
Because children need to learn about paragraphs.
Reply 7
Original post by Observatory
Because children need to learn about paragraphs.

Hahhaaha this did made me laugh
Reply 8
Because women are better teachers, now before everyone bashes me for being sexist, just think about it from an economic point of view.
Female teachers will attract the male students because sex.
And female teachers will act as a role model to the female students.
See it's a win win :colone:
Also, I didn't read your wall of text
I was kinda surprised reading this post. I thought you were just getting strange reactions from people hearing that a man wants to be a primary school teacher.

You hang around with some weird people...
Reply 10
Original post by GUMI
Because women are better teachers, now before everyone bashes me for being sexist, just think about it from an economic point of view.
Female teachers will attract the male students because sex.
And female teachers will act as a role model to the female students.
See it's a win win :colone:
Also, I didn't read your wall of text

Sounds like you've got to stop worrying about getting approval from everybody and just get on with your own life.
I am currently studying primary education at Bath Spa university and I have been loving every minute of it. I really enjoy teaching and working with children and I find it absolutely rewarding in every way. However despite this I very nearly did not go into this at all and have been on the verge of dropping out at many points throughout the course. I am currently a 20 year old man going into my third year of study with the overall dream of becoming a primary school teacher and as everyone who has tried to become a teacher knows it isnt easy. There is a lot of work to do and it takes a lot to stick with it. We have all had problems and faced challenges along our way and many people decide teaching is not for them but those who stick with it are dedicated to it and love what they do. I am completely commited to becoming a teacher and there is nothing I want more than for this to happen and yet I have had many doubts and been brought to tears many times throughout the process purely because it seems people believe I should not be a primary school teacher. The main problem I have had is society (friends, former teachers and family) telling me many things, and one above all others. For now a bit more background. I first went into a primary school classroom when I was in year 11 as work experience. It was the most fun I had had in a long time, it changed everything. Until then I had no idea what I wanted to do and no direction to go in but after my first day I loved it and wanted to do more. I then continued to help out throughout years 12 and 13 going in once or twice a week and helping out in lessons, experiments, school events and even field trips. I was pushed away from primary teaching many times by my head of sixth form because it wasnt an academic pursuit and as i went to a grammar school it was assumed I would do something like maths or science. I almost gave in a couple of times and changed what i was aiming for but I stuck with it and hated every interraction with my head of sixth form. The main issue I have had with becoming a teacher is the one that has reduced me to tears on several occasions and has brought me to the edge of dropping out more than anything else. Every time it is brought up that I want to go into primary teaching I get one of 2 responses. Either it is seen as very sweet and nice because I want to work with and help children. OR the news is met with many comments about me obviously being a paedophile and that being the only reason I want to go into the profession. I cannot stand hearing this and it hurts me more than anything else. I love working with children and I find it more rewarding than anything else. And to be met with comments about such a disgusting thing and being accused (even jokingly) of wanting to do that or be involved with it in any way is incredibly hurtful and pains me more than words can ever say. How is it that in todays society it can be seen as acceptable to make jokes or comments like that. How can it be that in a time when there are so few male primary school teachers and it is widely acknowledged that there is a need for more that society still tries to tear people down and constantly push them to the point where they question everything they have been doing for the past 5 years. It takes everything I have to control myself when people make comments like this (especially those I call friends or family). It is hard enough to become a teacher as it is, if you are comitted and want to go into the profession then why is that a cause for others to tear you down. It might just be me that has experienced this injustice but if there are others or any other issues like this, I would like to know. I have had many issues and I know Im not the only one. I want to hear about any issues that have been experienced. There are so many issues with teaching and teacher shortages, how can we face such an issue and still create more issues for those that want to join such an amazing, incredible and noble profession.

OMG use paragraphs or people wont read it.

I bothered to read it and its just repeats itself.

1. You want to be a primary school teacher.
2. Some people have supposedly tried to put you off
3. You feel wounded to the core about it.

Dude if you wnat to become a primary school teacher, then become one.
Not hard and not a big deal.
Ignore those who put you off.
Reply 13

Paragraphs maaaaaaaan!
Cant believe you havent bopthered to fix the paragraphs OP.
Reply 15

Hi, I can really relate to this as I am a male who is going into nursing and recently posted a thread very similar to this here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4244108 I invite you to read some of the comments there because although they aren't related to teaching they really bring home the realities of whether or not gender really matters in any profession! The same stigmas on gender exist in this field too unfortunately :frown:. All I can say is stick with it and do your best. Just think about it, when you're in your first job, no one is going to bat an eyelid at you, there are lots of inspiring, male primary school teachers out there I should know as I had 2 male primary school teachers and all the staff, TAs, students and parents got on fine with it with 0 problems and 0 incidents where gender was a problem. All I can say is when you have finished your training and you're out there doing it, you'll wonder what you ever worried about. FORGET the IDIOTS that taunt you about it and question your motives at this point in your career they'll become insignificant when you're doing better than them in life! Please don't be discouraged just because of comments people make. I have had allsorts of horrible comments made to me about becoming a "male nurse". People have laughed and sniggered at me often behind my back (friends and family). Teachers have tried to persuade me not to do a degree in this field and instead do a more traditional degree like maths or science. I am still going to do nursing though because I want to. This is about one person and one person only, YOU! Please follow YOUR heart and YOUR plans and get what YOU want out of life. If you don't you WILL regret it and those weak people who don't believe in an equal opportunities world will have won, please don't let that happen :smile:

I know we aren't in the same situation but I guess we are in similar situation so I hope this helps
Original post by L33t
Hi, I can really relate to this as I am a male who is going into nursing and recently posted a thread very similar to this here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4244108 I invite you to read some of the comments there because although they aren't related to teaching they really bring home the realities of whether or not gender really matters in any profession! The same stigmas on gender exist in this field too unfortunately :frown:. All I can say is stick with it and do your best. Just think about it, when you're in your first job, no one is going to bat an eyelid at you, there are lots of inspiring, male primary school teachers out there I should know as I had 2 male primary school teachers and all the staff, TAs, students and parents got on fine with it with 0 problems and 0 incidents where gender was a problem. All I can say is when you have finished your training and you're out there doing it, you'll wonder what you ever worried about. FORGET the IDIOTS that taunt you about it and question your motives at this point in your career they'll become insignificant when you're doing better than them in life! Please don't be discouraged just because of comments people make. I have had allsorts of horrible comments made to me about becoming a "male nurse". People have laughed and sniggered at me often behind my back (friends and family). Teachers have tried to persuade me not to do a degree in this field and instead do a more traditional degree like maths or science. I am still going to do nursing though because I want to. This is about one person and one person only, YOU! Please follow YOUR heart and YOUR plans and get what YOU want out of life. If you don't you WILL regret it and those weak people who don't believe in an equal opportunities world will have won, please don't let that happen :smile:

I know we aren't in the same situation but I guess we are in similar situation so I hope this helps

Christ, are you guys so fixated on being mocked for your career choices that you've forgotten the purpose of using paragraphs?
Christ, are you guys so fixated on being mocked for your career choices that you've forgotten the purpose of using paragraphs?

The TSR text entry is so glitchy these days that I can't blame people with a lot to get off their chests for trying to typing it up in Word and copying it over... but there's another glitch that takes the formatting out if you do that... it's glitch 22.
Reply 18

Apparently so, I apologise was it too much for your eyes to handle?
I have to say that it is beyond bizarre that upon saying you wish to dedicate your life to the learning of young people who will go on to become doctors, engineers and politicians that you would have a response that you would abuse this positition to molest younger thus vulnerable children.

I would strongly recommed you take this comment at face value and if anything find someone you can talk to about these comments to just discuss them for the fact they are happening, (make sure this conversation is not with your future employer i.e. headteacher).

My friend wanted to become a firefighter after his a-levels and was doing so as a retained (part-time) whilst working at Tesco, where he got to manager at 20 years old. He decided that this is not what he wanted to do and so re-trained to go to university and become a teacher for year 6, so the year before going up to secondary, and learning this I have to admit I didn't think paedophile but I thought wow, what a great career, as I remember being taught by women all the way up to year 6, but then we had this male teacher who was great, funny and really inspiring.

This friend of mine graduated and became a year 6 teacher like he planned and he is doing great, got a nice girlfriend and goes on holiday and he is planning his life and thinking of getting married!

So focus your mind on having a great and rewarding career and the wedding day with a beautiful woman not the comments of immature and pathetic people who won't be there in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending