The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

A level further maths

I really want to go to UCL or LSE for econ, and everyone says they prefer (basically NEED) applicants to have FM , but idk if i should do it. I am definitely doing maths and economics A level. I do like maths, and I am a predicted 8/9 at GCSE and do additional maths GCSE, but i don’t know if I’ll perform well at A level. And i cant get in to UCL or LSE without it. Should i just drop the dream haha :frown:
Consult your teachers/ tutors. Econ is maths heavy (all the models, etc), and while it's true most people going to LSE/UCL take Further Maths, it's not a hard "requirement". Your teacher might come up with a work around, like maths competition (which is vastly different from normal school maths and more critical thinking). If you like LSE, your choice of subject is much broader. Would PPE for example match what you want?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I really want to go to UCL or LSE for econ, and everyone says they prefer (basically NEED) applicants to have FM , but idk if i should do it. I am definitely doing maths and economics A level. I do like maths, and I am a predicted 8/9 at GCSE and do additional maths GCSE, but i don’t know if I’ll perform well at A level. And i cant get in to UCL or LSE without it. Should i just drop the dream haha :frown:

Sounds like you should take FM as a fourth A Level and drop it if you find it too hard.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

My cousins both got into UCL without A-Level Further Maths.

The female got A*A*A*A in Maths, French, Philosophy and Economics and got accepted for Economics at UCL.

The male got accepted to LSE without A-Level Further Maths due to 3A* predictions and 9A* 2B GCSEs and had a A grade in AS Economics achieved.

But you really should consider A-Level Further Maths as most applicants to Cambridge, LSE, Warwick and high number of other universities too such as Durham, Bristol and UCL have high mathematical content.

If you take Pearson Edexcel Maths:

The worked step by step solutions are online for free on a website.

You could take Further Mechanics 1 and Further Decision 1 or Further Statistics 1 and Further Decision 1 or Further Mechanics 1 and Further Statistics 1 or even Further Mechanics 1 and Further Mechanics 2 or much more useful for LSE is Pure Maths so, Further Pure 1 and Further Statistics 1 would be recommended.

The textbooks are very good and you have a lot of YouTube videos and websites to learn from as well.

So really it is not difficult to achieve an A grade in A-Level Further Maths, but the A* grade requires practice and deeper understanding of the concepts.

Also, PPE at Oxford University is a strong option with Maths, Economics and Politics. 85% of applicants had A-Level Maths for PPE. About 20% had Further Maths. So you should consider applying for PPE at Oxford. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending