The Student Room Group

Split between two clearing offers

So I did like humanities/arts based subjects and got ABC (A in Literature) and I didn't get into my firm or insurance but I got clearing offers. I got one from Queen Mary to do single honours English and an offer from Sheffield to do single Civil and Structural Engineering with a foundation year (since I didn't have the relevant A level subjects). I assume I'd have vastly improved career prospects with the Engineering and be looking at a much better paying job if I was to truly commit to the degree compared to English however I'm not sure if that justifies the extra £9k for the foundation year and the actual year itself. Any advice here, totally torn between these two...
Original post by TooManyTribes
So I did like humanities/arts based subjects and got ABC (A in Literature) and I didn't get into my firm or insurance but I got clearing offers. I got one from Queen Mary to do single honours English and an offer from Sheffield to do single Civil and Structural Engineering with a foundation year (since I didn't have the relevant A level subjects). I assume I'd have vastly improved career prospects with the Engineering and be looking at a much better paying job if I was to truly commit to the degree compared to English however I'm not sure if that justifies the extra £9k for the foundation year and the actual year itself. Any advice here, totally torn between these two...

Wow - that's quite a variety!

Congrats on your grades - they might not be what you hoped for but they're excellent results.

Did you ask for the foundation year course at Sheffield or did someone there recommend it? It seems like a big change from what you've done so far and given most engineering courses are 4 years you're going to be studying for 5 years in total with the foundation year. That's quite a big commitment to something and definitely not something I'd recommend deciding in a hurry and under stress. Had you looked into civil eng previously or is it something that interests you? How's your maths - all engineering courses have a lot of maths content so if maths is something you loathe then it probably isn't for you even with the best job prospects.

Have you contacted many other universities or is it just these two?
I think having done arts and humanities at A-Level you'd have to be absolutely certain that a.) you'd enjoy something as different as civil engineering (and which requires such different skills - ie. high level of numeracy) and b.) you'd commit to the whole degree. I would be worried that you'd end up in this position again next August having hated/failed the first year and spent the extra 9k for nothing. Just a thought really - it's easy for me to say, but make sure you're going/choosing for the right reasons.
Original post by PQ
Wow - that's quite a variety!

Congrats on your grades - they might not be what you hoped for but they're excellent results.

Did you ask for the foundation year course at Sheffield or did someone there recommend it? It seems like a big change from what you've done so far and given most engineering courses are 4 years you're going to be studying for 5 years in total with the foundation year. That's quite a big commitment to something and definitely not something I'd recommend deciding in a hurry and under stress. Had you looked into civil eng previously or is it something that interests you? How's your maths - all engineering courses have a lot of maths content so if maths is something you loathe then it probably isn't for you even with the best job prospects.

Have you contacted many other universities or is it just these two?

The interest just stems from an interest in science and maths in general that started with GCSE. I briefly did Maths and Chem/Bio at AS before switching and I know pretty confidently that I'm capable of doing more advanced mathematics and practical physics, I have the work ethic to commit to it. Obviously the interest is financially motivated to some degree too.

I've rang a few other Russell group unis inquiring about single honours English and been turned down. QM were the first to accept me for single honours English despite the fact I initially only inquired about their listed literature + linguistics clearance places. Do you think I should ring elsewhere?
Original post by ispyjonnytriff
I think having done arts and humanities at A-Level you'd have to be absolutely certain that a.) you'd enjoy something as different as civil engineering (and which requires such different skills - ie. high level of numeracy) and b.) you'd commit to the whole degree. I would be worried that you'd end up in this position again next August having hated/failed the first year and spent the extra 9k for nothing. Just a thought really - it's easy for me to say, but make sure you're going/choosing for the right reasons.

It's a totally reasonable idea that I could totally regret going with the Engineering but I don't want to be confined to an area of work based on the English degree (like teaching etc) and I do like the idea of being a qualified professional in a practical field, seems like a really engaging, relevant and required occupation at the moment.
The interest just stems from an interest in science and maths in general that started with GCSE. I briefly did Maths and Chem/Bio at AS before switching and I know pretty confidently that I'm capable of doing more advanced mathematics and practical physics, I have the work ethic to commit to it. Obviously the interest is financially motivated to some degree too.

I've rang a few other Russell group unis inquiring about single honours English and been turned down. QM were the first to accept me for single honours English despite the fact I initially only inquired about their listed literature + linguistics clearance places. Do you think I should ring elsewhere?

I'd ring around a few more - it should be easier this afternoon.

Did the sheffield offer have a time period on it that it's valid for? If so I'd be tempted to call them up to ask if it can be extended so you can visit and/or speak to some of the people from the course/dept to be absolutely sure about the change. It's great that you aren't worried about the maths side of things...but you do need to be sure you've got enough interest in concrete and soil to get through the whole degree (and eventual career!).

If it helps, the career prospects seem much better for engineering than english.
Engineering usually ranks in the top 10 or so on wage and employment while english is in the 10 worst degrees for job prospects.
I think it might be worth doing the engineering degree with a foundation year if it means a better future career especially from Sheffield which is a high ranking university.
Hi,

Congrats on those amazing grades. If you're going to ring around like PQ suggests we have both English and Engineering Foundation courses you will be eligible for if you're willing to look outside the Russell Group. We are ranked 2nd in the UK for teaching quality, have 89% student satisfaction and all of our courses include a placement year so you can gain work experience before heading out to the graduate job market.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Josh :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending