The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

got rejected but i still want to go to sussex, any advices?

Hi everyone,

i found out early this morning that i was rejected by sussex for the Computer Science Foundation year for getting a pass with an overall pass instead of a pass with an overall Merit... and the think is im still really motivated to get into this uni as ive been following all their activities for nearly a year now!!

when i called the first time it said the lines were busy but i was using the wrong number and when i called this afternoon they said that all the clearing spots are gone but i can call back up tomorrow at 8am to talk about the offer...

i gotten lots of advice that i should call and neogotiate with them (because im willing to do anything to get into sussex university) but im a bit worried from hearing that they have cleared everything and there might not be a spot for me... my friend talked to her university that she got rejected from and she was able to change some of the modules around so she can go there so i still have hope i can try and get in

anyways i wanted to ask for any advice people can give me as im really nervous about what to say

thank you ^-^
Do you have any reasons why you didnt perform as well as you needed? nedical or personal i.e bereavement.

You can be enthusiastic and clear why you are motivated to go there
If you are speaking to someone who can decide on admissions, then you might impress them with your interest in the subject , plus that course in particular as well as what a positive student you would be.

You cna also tell them you are willing to be flexible about some of the modules or take extra options of you displayed a particular weakness.

Unil you know whats on the table, then you dont know what your negotiating position is. There may or may not be a spot. If there is no spot do tell them you wish to go on the waiting list just in case someone drops out. Hint about reapplying next year.

If you are nervouse then writ it down so you have the information at hand and practice what you are going to say. Its like an interview until you are informed otherwise.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
I repeat its importnat to establish what the interview is about, so you then know how to pitch yourself. Your negotiating position is weak. If you establish there are places, then you cna sell yourself to them about why you deserve one of those places.

Write it down- byllet points, so you are organised and can then get your message across.
I am quite surprised you didn't make it onto the foundation to be honest, I applied for first year entry last year and didn't get into it so they offered the foundation year for compsci in it's place some of the grades in there involved people getting a D or 2 at A-Level.

But anyways try your best to call up tomorrow and hope it goes all well, foundation year was a real blast and great fun :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Do you have any reasons why you didnt perform as well as you needed? nedical or personal i.e bereavement.

You can be enthusiastic and clear why you are motivated to go there
If you are speaking to someone who can decide on admissions, then you might impress them with your interest in the subject , plus that course in particular as well as what a positive student you would be.

You cna also tell them you are willing to be flexible about some of the modules or take extra options of you displayed a particular weakness.

Unil you know whats on the table, then you dont know what your negotiating position is. There may or may not be a spot. If there is no spot do tell them you wish to go on the waiting list just in case someone drops out. Hint about reapplying next year.

If you are nervouse then writ it down so you have the information at hand and practice what you are going to say. Its like an interview until you are informed otherwise.

well there was the problem of having to look after my sister a lot as she went to have a few opperations last year and she has a disability... i normally had to stay up late at night making sure she goes to sleep (sometimes she wouldnt sleep until 3-4am) and some nights she would cry and scream (i share a bedroom with her)

there's also the fact that i travelled an hour to college and i have a job as my mum quit her job to look after my sister and my dad has only a small job...

i didnt know much when i first applied for computer science but the more i research into it the more i became interested in it and im up for that challenge (plus i feel like it would fit well with my Japanese studies and wanting to study abroad). but yeah im going to be enthusiastic about it and talk about how my interest in computer science connect.

i have no clue on what the table is exactly, all i know is the information it gives on the website.

im going to write down in 5 minutes what im going to say and rehearse it ready for tomorrow morning!! thank you ^-^
Reply 5
Original post by LegendReborn
I am quite surprised you didn't make it onto the foundation to be honest, I applied for first year entry last year and didn't get into it so they offered the foundation year for compsci in it's place some of the grades in there involved people getting a D or 2 at A-Level.

But anyways try your best to call up tomorrow and hope it goes all well, foundation year was a real blast and great fun :smile:

ikr!!! and just because i got passes in my BTEC i didnt get in :frown: but i think it'll go smoothly thank you ^-^
Original post by kasumikat
ikr!!! and just because i got passes in my BTEC i didnt get in :frown: but i think it'll go smoothly thank you ^-^

Are BTECs not highly rated? I would assume passing all your subjects would be good enough considering the several that got Ds and Es in my class. Personally I got BCC and first year entry wanted ABB. Although I wonder what the numbers will be like this year, last year they took on a lot more people compsci foundation there was 48 of us this year compared to the 24 from the year before.
Aaaw babes :frown: you were really excited about going as well!

Yes try to negotiate, if worse comes to worst take a gap year and apply for a course in 2017. Despite his being pointless to mention, did you get teachers to write a letter explaining why you were struggling whilst you were studying? Because that would have worked well in your favour

Someone should have told you that you universities are incredibly unlikely to accept an applicant if they do btecs AND don't get distinctions.

Could you redo your Btec and try to get an overall distinction?
Original post by kasumikat

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you manage to get anywhere? Hopefully you did, but if not Keele looks like a nice campus (nr Stoke) and still have clearing open
Reply 9
Original post by Colinj451
Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you manage to get anywhere? Hopefully you did, but if not Keele looks like a nice campus (nr Stoke) and still have clearing open

funny thing is that yeah i applied to keele and i got in too XDDDD thank you ^-^
Reply 10
Original post by Colinj451
Posted from TSR Mobile

funny thing is that yeah i applied to keele and i got in too XDDDD thank you ^-^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending