The Student Room Group

Which unis to apply to for Computer Science?

Hi, I'm currently in Yr12 thinking about which unis I might want to apply to. I am currently predicted A*, A, A, A in Computer Science, Maths, Music Tech, and Further Maths respectively. I am hoping to do a degree in Computer science and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to strategically pick unis to apply to which are very good but I also have a chance of getting into.

My GCSEs were okay but not great, I got 1 grade 9, 3 grade 8s, 1 grade 7, 5 grade 6s, 1 grade 5.

I'm going to apply to one or two safe options (probably BBBC and ABBB or something similar) but for the competitive ones I was thinking Imperial, Warwick, Durham, Manchester, Southampton etc. My tutor also suggested Oxbridge but I'm not sure I have any chance tbh but it would be good to hear what others think. Thanks
Hi. I applied with similarish GCSEs(Although yours are better than mine), with A*A*A predicted, and got rejected by UCL and KCL. It's been pretty brutal, but I got an offer for Soton and from what they said at the open day, if you meet the grades you will get an offer.

I'm not trying to discourage you - just suggesting you are strategic with your options. It's stupidly competitive and people with 4A*s get rejected quite commonly. Just make sure your PS is as good as it can be and you have a strong reference, and, if possible, get FM bumped up to an A* predicted and you'll be pretty competitive.
Original post by noahwdennis
Hi, I'm currently in Yr12 thinking about which unis I might want to apply to. I am currently predicted A*, A, A, A in Computer Science, Maths, Music Tech, and Further Maths respectively. I am hoping to do a degree in Computer science and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to strategically pick unis to apply to which are very good but I also have a chance of getting into.

My GCSEs were okay but not great, I got 1 grade 9, 3 grade 8s, 1 grade 7, 5 grade 6s, 1 grade 5.

I'm going to apply to one or two safe options (probably BBBC and ABBB or something similar) but for the competitive ones I was thinking Imperial, Warwick, Durham, Manchester, Southampton etc. My tutor also suggested Oxbridge but I'm not sure I have any chance tbh but it would be good to hear what others think. Thanks

Drop your music technology and concentrate on 3 A levels. A*A*A is seen far better by universities than AAAA.. As far as what universities to apply to it is personal choice. Do you want to be in a big or small city. Do you want to be in the city or out of the city. Do you want a campus or city niversity. How far from home do you want to be, For these reasons and others it is impossible to give advice on which university is. right for somebody.

The first thing to say is Computer Science is currently massively competitive asare top London universities. Applying to places like Imperial and UCL is likely to lead to rejections so dont apply to more than 1 of these. Imperial and Manchester are very different environments to Durham and Warwick. Have a think on which is right for you and attend open days in the next few months.

I would look at 2 universities where you are likely to get offers. Bath, Exeter and Lancaster are good examples but there are many others. As far as insurance choices are concerned somebody with A*AA predictions doesnt need to go that low. AAB or ABB should be low enough for an Oxbridge or Imperial applicant
Original post by noahwdennis

Hi there :smile:

It's great that you're thinking about applying to uni. It's always good to start researching earlier rather than later. I personally found that creating a spreadsheet helped me. I listed all the factors about university that were important to me e.g. distance from home, entry requirements, student rating, facilities, accommodation, course, social life etc and then used various websites and my own research to fill it in. I would recommend student crowd for student reviews which can often give you a true insight as to what the teaching and university are like. I will also link below the computer science course at Kent if you're interested in taking a look through it. I have studied at Kent for the last 3 years and have thoroughly enjoyed my experience. If you have any questions about uni life or Kent then please let me know!

Student crowd - https://www.studentcrowd.com/
Computer science - https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/124/computer-science?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ec_ug_late_app_2023&utm_content=subject_comp_sci_ads&gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw6vyiBhB_EiwAQJRopkfpUn9J3lGwso9h1_pdmh0Y17AqhBodjbxIR34EAvJKeOblRYrGXBoC05MQAvD_BwE

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep
Reply 4
As from @swanseajack1 - avoid making more than 1 application to the big London Unis - it isn't worth the heartache of all those rejections.

Look at Unis like Manchester, Bristol, Bath, Warwick, York etc - make sure that you choose a range of grade requirements and that also have a very realistic Insurance choice like Sussex.

Placement years or 'year in industry' are invaluable - they add context to your own study and give you an obvious advantage when you are look for graduate jobs.

And go to Open Days. You will learn about their course and what makes it different, and you will get an idea of the feel of that Uni, the size, the layout, the facilities on offer etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending