The Student Room Group

Geography A level Advice

I'm going to be taking geography at sixth form and I was wondering if there's any tips and advice anyone could give me? or even anything that would really be useful?
Original post by idkmate
I'm going to be taking geography at sixth form and I was wondering if there's any tips and advice anyone could give me? or even anything that would really be useful?

i did the whole thing in one year, what exam board did u do?, i did aqa!
Reply 2
Tbh, it is fairly easy. I would recommend just doing loads of past papers, to get used to what the examiner wants to hear in the essay. Geography is also not very strict to the textbook and is open to any case studies and events happening around the world - so read the news.

I would also recommend learning all the terminology (sustainability, equity, agglomeration, etc) as it is a clear sign to the examiner if you use advanced terminology you have an idea what you are talking about.

Good luck next year!
Original post by string210
i did the whole thing in one year, what exam board did u do?, i did aqa!

You did it in a year? Seriously? Mind me asking when during the year did you begin learning the content and your final results?
Original post by Ryan_Ing
Tbh, it is fairly easy. I would recommend just doing loads of past papers, to get used to what the examiner wants to hear in the essay. Geography is also not very strict to the textbook and is open to any case studies and events happening around the world - so read the news.

I would also recommend learning all the terminology (sustainability, equity, agglomeration, etc) as it is a clear sign to the examiner if you use advanced terminology you have an idea what you are talking about.

Good luck next year!

There's actually so much to remember, not to scare anyone and I too would like advice. When I was thinking about doing Geography A level, after looking at the textbook it felt like I was gleaming upon numerous amounts of information.So I took it with the approach of cramming information rather than trying to learn it. I don't know how to learn Geography and it seemed I was constantly researching on terminology, diagrams, definitions when I tried taking the subject. I'd like to become good at Geography, the course I'm interested in has elements of it.
Original post by Cherry82
You did it in a year? Seriously? Mind me asking when during the year did you begin learning the content and your final results?

I got my results yesterday and i got a B, 4 marks off an A. But really i should of got an A, knew the course inside out, so i must of made a few silly mistakes! The best advice i can give you, is to use the specification, and literally tick off the things you know. Every line could be an essay so make sure you have enough knowledge to write an essay on it, 15 marks worth in as, and 40 marks worth in A2. If u start making essays and getting your teacher to mark them right from the beginning you will be fine.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by string210
I got my results yesterday and i got a B, 4 marks off an A. But really i should of got an A, knew the course inside out, so i must of made a few silly mistakes! The best advice i can give you, is to use the specification, and literally tick off the things you know. Every line could be an essay so make sure you have enough knowledge to write an essay on it, 15 marks worth in as, and 40 marks worth in A2. If u start making essays and getting your teacher to mark them right from the beginning you will be fine.

Wow B!? That's more than amazing for one year, seriously congratulations :smile:
Was Geography the only subject you had to study for or did you have two other A levels to worry about? I'm trying to be realistic with myself. I'm meant to do one A level as a private candidate in a year along with two other subjects but I keep changing subjects and manoeuvring from subject to subject. I'm even now considering Geography again but with CIE because of November exams. Lol I'm such a mess. But I'm trying to make a final decision. My fear is, I'll only have 4 months to learn A2. Maybe that's doable since I'll be on a gap year with no other subjects in the way but Geography. It's just CIE is heavy with content...
Reply 7
Bump

Quick Reply

Latest