The Student Room Group

Do bilinguals think in their weaker language?

Scroll to see replies

I tend to think in English (weak language) most of the time but when I'm around my family I think in Portuguese
Reply 61
Original post by momoneyme89
Can you think in any other languages?

I can think in German if I want to but I would need to speak it regularly for about a week or two to get my fluency back as it has been many years since I last spoke German on a regular basis.
Original post by asinghj
I tend to think in English (weak language) most of the time but when I'm around my family I think in Portuguese

Can you think in any other languages, or just those 2?
Can you think in any other languages, or just those 2?

Yeah I can think (and speak but not write) in Punjabi also
Reply 64
Yeah only when im pissed
Thinking in it is fairly easy but when it comes to talking sometimes i cant get the words out for some reason :lol: even tho i understand it perfectly fine and speak it fine too its just slower than i would speak in English

Like if i was gonna cuss you out i would do it in English rather than Arabic but I could do both :tongue:
Original post by z33
Yeah only when im pissed
Thinking in it is fairly easy but when it comes to talking sometimes i cant get the words out for some reason :lol: even tho i understand it perfectly fine and speak it fine too its just slower than i would speak in English

Like if i was gonna cuss you out i would do it in English rather than Arabic but I could do both :tongue:

So you can think in Arabic?
Reply 66
So you can think in Arabic?

Yeah... i mean dont you have to be able to think in a language to speak it?
:/
Original post by z33
Yeah... i mean dont you have to be able to think in a language to speak it?
:/

And you can think in English? Can you think in any other languages?
Reply 68
And you can think in English? Can you think in any other languages?

Er.. yeah

Nah i used to speak Dutch but forgot it
Original post by z33
Er.. yeah

Nah i used to speak Dutch but forgot it

So you can think in Arabic and English and no other languages, right?
Reply 70
So you can think in Arabic and English and no other languages, right?

...yeah o_O
I speak Spanish and English both fluently and I can think in either with no difficulty or change.
Original post by Fifitheflower
I speak Spanish and English both fluently and I can think in either with no difficulty or change.

What age did you learn both languages?

Bump

I was born in Spain but both my parents are British. I didn't reach full fluency in Spanish until I was around 15, but now I speak both languages perfectly.
I was born in Spain but both my parents are British. I didn't reach full fluency in Spanish until I was around 15, but now I speak both languages perfectly.

So you can choose if you want to think in English or if you want to think in Spanish?
So you can choose if you want to think in English or if you want to think in Spanish?

Rather than choosing, it depends on the situation, for example if I am studying ( I went to Spanish school so all my studies were completed in Spanish ) I will think in Spanish, but if I'm talking to someone in English or reading something in English I will think in English.
Rather than choosing, it depends on the situation, for example if I am studying ( I went to Spanish school so all my studies were completed in Spanish ) I will think in Spanish, but if I'm talking to someone in English or reading something in English I will think in English.

But you could just choose if you wanted, like, "hey, i'm going to think in spanish for a bit"
Yeah I think and count in German, and when I'm stressed I speak German

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending