The Student Room Group

Taking 3 language courses IB

im a 10th grader who just started IB. I want to atudy law and they mostly had no rewuitements for IB courses.
My courses are:
HL Lang & Lit
HL economics
HL Math AI
SL Spanish B
SL chinese abinitio
SL ESS

As you can see i took two additional lnguage course instead of art or any other subject brcause I love learning languages. But im not sure what unis will think of this because 1.they might consider language courses to be easier and they think im not a tryhard person , 2 i cant rly say im bilingual by taking two additional courses becauae one is abinitio. If i were to go for good universities such as KCL or Imperial college somewhere at that level should I still change it? I am pretty confident that I can get 7 in HL, not surr abt SL though.
Original post by kkkkkokikoo
im a 10th grader who just started IB. I want to atudy law and they mostly had no rewuitements for IB courses.
My courses are:
HL Lang & Lit
HL economics
HL Math AI
SL Spanish B
SL chinese abinitio
SL ESS

As you can see i took two additional lnguage course instead of art or any other subject brcause I love learning languages. But im not sure what unis will think of this because 1.they might consider language courses to be easier and they think im not a tryhard person , 2 i cant rly say im bilingual by taking two additional courses becauae one is abinitio. If i were to go for good universities such as KCL or Imperial college somewhere at that level should I still change it? I am pretty confident that I can get 7 in HL, not surr abt SL though.

You wouldn't be considered bilingual even with HL Spanish B - a bilingual IB diploma is only issued if you take two languages under the A syllabus. So that's a moot point (besides which, it doesn't matter as far as unis are concerned whether you are bilingual or not).

For reference, SL Spanish B will probably take you to the equivalent of CEFR A2 or maybe B1 I would expect - HL probably B2. For near native proficiency the CEFR equivalent is C1, and you wouldn't really be considered bilingual below C2 realistically (the highest CEFR benchmark).

In any event, language courses are considered challenging academic subjects and frankly I think you have it the wrong way around - doing more languages is not normally considered easier, but harder than doing another subject. I imagine you will have your work cut out for you!

There is no issue with taking two languages (plus English) and applying to law.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending