The Student Room Group

Tory austerity caused 30% rise in homelessness, parliamentary committee finds.

Government austerity measures have increased homelessness in the UK by as much as 30 percent, according to a parliamentary committee.

A report by the Communities and Local Government Select Committee found that rough sleeping in England spiked to 3,569 between 2014 and autumn 2015. One quarter of those were sleeping on the streets of the capital.

Although the figures are damning, the committee said they do not include those who had not come forward for help and been registered as a result. The report termed these the “hidden homeless.”

The investigation found that homelessness is on the rise due in part to the need for renters to pay landlords from their state benefits.

It was found that young people aged 18-21 are at particular risk of being made homeless.

Read More:
https://www.rt.com/uk/356356-austerity-rise-homelessness-tories/
Me and my friends once went to a homeless man, my friend offered money and he declined and we just stood there next to him for half an hour before he started talking. We just asked him why he was here (London Asda....) he had a few donations around i guess from the supermarket but he refused the money and even threw some of the food at us. Eventually we got him to accept the money but the next day the police came to talk to us and they asked us what we were doing to the homeless man. They thought we were harassing him or something. Anyways luckily my friend is really bubbly and optimistic so the police officer immeditately realized and just told us that what we were doing was right but don't stay out so late.
Anyways next day we walk across asda.... It's on my route to school and he chases us......
Strategically the 6 or 8 of us made 3 separate routes.
One ran across busy traffic. THe quickest route to safety but dangerous at the same time.
Another (me) i ran to the bus stop that was along the road he was chasing us. There was a bus already taking passengers and i squeezed in with 2 others.
Then the last just ran straight through along with the homeless man.
We were so scared..... laughing as well. Not in a hahaha way. But like wtf. We helped him?
From then on we never saw him again, im really scared. What happened to him?
And yet unemployment is lower than ever. It's pretty much impossible for it to get any lower.
Original post by Truth88
Government austerity measures have increased homelessness in the UK by as much as 30 percent, according to a parliamentary committee.

A report by the Communities and Local Government Select Committee found that rough sleeping in England spiked to 3,569 between 2014 and autumn 2015. One quarter of those were sleeping on the streets of the capital.

Although the figures are damning, the committee said they do not include those who had not come forward for help and been registered as a result. The report termed these the “hidden homeless.”

The investigation found that homelessness is on the rise due in part to the need for renters to pay landlords from their state benefits.

It was found that young people aged 18-21 are at particular risk of being made homeless.

Read More:
https://www.rt.com/uk/356356-austerity-rise-homelessness-tories/

Congratulations Tories :rolleyes: :clap:
This is a product of too much dependence on the state.
Original post by Chaz W

Which was the fault of the government
Original post by Chaz W

This and the rent and housing bubble.
Original post by KingBradly
And yet unemployment is lower than ever. It's pretty much impossible for it to get any lower.

From the Thatcher era, there has been much manipulation by all governments on how the unemployment rate is calculated. However, this current government and the coalition government that preceded it radically changed how it was calculated to in effect hide the true figures.

Here is how:

Prior to 1979, the unemployment rate was calculated simply by how many people were registered as unemployed. Unemployment figures have since been changed to only account for 'benefit claimants'. Thus anyone not claiming benefits but is unemployed will not appear in the data.

In addition to that, the Conservatives have made changes to the benefit system, reducing the eligibility of several people to claim benefits, meaning they are not classed as unemployed even if they are unemployed.

Furthermore there has been a big increase in 'back to work programs' in which people on the programs are not paid yet still not counted in the unemployment figures. This government has reduced unemployment statistics by transferring many unemployed on to such programs, meaning they do not figure in employment statistics even though they do not have a job.

In 2012, Sheffield University carried out a study to establish the real level of unemployment in the UK and found at that the number was 3.4 million, rather than the 1.5 million which was the official statistic at the time.

Overall, this government, as other before it has manipulated the way employment figures are calculated to in effect hide the fact that millions are unemployed.

Here is a good link to read http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/08/06/1-million-jobless-left-out-of-uk-govt-unemployment-figures/
How to legally rob people
Reply 9
It appeared obvious to me they were targetting the easiest demographics; the most vulnerable; in order to meet Osbourne's self imposed fiscal rules. All those crafty little changes they made to benefits, like cutting housing benefits for under 21's, extending the period between signing on and date of first installment......will feed through to homeless figures.

At the same time they were cutting corporation tax when big companies are making phenomenal profits and pay and bonuses in the boardroom has been going through the roof for years.

As for the unemployment rate, if you take the quality of jobs, it's not as rosy as the headline figure appears. There's been a huge increase in the self employed category.And Since 2008 Real wages fell in the UK by 10%, only Greece recorded a higher fall. The nice sounding unemployment rate hides the real issues - low wages, poor quality jobs, gig economy etc

That's not to mention the cost of renting. That's causing all sorts of upheavel. There's needs to be more housing benefit avaiable, not less.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending