The Student Room Group

Rwanda bill likely to be stalled at least till April after seven defeats in the Lords

Peers voted for numerous amendments making it improbable the legislation will return to the Commons this side of Easter

Rishi Sunak’s flagship Rwanda deportation bill is expected to be put on hold until at least next month after the House of Lords inflicted seven defeats on Wednesday.

https://apple.news/AglMJT6MlTceYxfOMUf46cA (the Guardian).

At this point they ought to scrap the bill
Hopefully it gets delayed indefinitely. The plan has wasted hundreds of millions of pounds and can't stand up to even bare bone levels of scrutiny. The government have caught themself up in it only to claw back votes from Reform. It is absolutely pathetic.
'bUt It'S tHe WiLl Of ThE pEoPlE!'

Lying smarm bag.
No surprise as it was never meant as a serious policy. It is purely performative.
4000 people have arrived illegally this year already, more that at this point last year. What does everyone propose we do with these criminals then? Fund them benefits and council houses?
Even if you ignore the morality of it, the plan doesn't even make sense on the most basic financial level. You may as well say you'll send people to Moonbase Alpha for processing.
Original post by Talkative Toad
Peers voted for numerous amendments making it improbable the legislation will return to the Commons this side of Easter
Rishi Sunak’s flagship Rwanda deportation bill is expected to be put on hold until at least next month after the House of Lords inflicted seven defeats on Wednesday.
https://apple.news/AglMJT6MlTceYxfOMUf46cA (the Guardian).
At this point they ought to scrap the bill

gonna worsen the tory downfall, with the right not happy, the center right not happy and the center not happy. tory party is likely going to collapse at this rate
Original post by Guru Jason
4000 people have arrived illegally this year already, more that at this point last year. What does everyone propose we do with these criminals then? Fund them benefits and council houses?

If it's that or this soul tarnishing Rwanda nonsense... then yes, benefits and council houses it is. It's not like we use that punishment for our native criminals....
Original post by jacksmith23
gonna worsen the tory downfall, with the right not happy, the center right not happy and the center not happy. tory party is likely going to collapse at this rate

Honestly I like to see that happen to them, might as well have Reform or Lib Dems as the opposition at this point.

#ToriesOut.

Council houses are a cheaper solution than putting individuals awaiting asylum decisions in hotels and running up massive bills than people like myself have to pay for.

Even better, we fund the home office adequately so it can employ enough processors so we don’t have an asylum backlog that sees many people waiting more than a year for a decision.

The problem is dim witted people aren’t interested in pragmatic solutions. Instead they fall for empty slogans like “take back control” or “stop the boats” so we end up with awful politicians who are more concerned with optics than effective policy.
(edited 1 month ago)
PRSOM.
Original post by Gazpacho.
Council houses are a cheaper solution than putting individuals awaiting asylum decisions in hotels and running up massive bills than people like myself have to pay for.
Even better, we fund the home office adequately so it can employ enough processors so we don’t have an asylum backlog that sees many people waiting more than a year for a decision.
The problem is dim witted people aren’t interested in pragmatic solutions. Instead they fall for empty slogans like “take back control” or “stop the boats” so we end up with awful politicians who are more concerned with optics than effective policy.

Or we could turn then back, dont even let them reach our shores. Let them drift in the ocean for long enough and then the message will get out that getting into the UK illeagally wont work.
Or we could turn then back, dont even let them reach our shores. Let them drift in the ocean for long enough and then the message will get out that getting into the UK illeagally wont work.

I suspect you're firmly in the minority there, it's a very cold way to look at people.
Original post by StriderHort
I suspect you're firmly in the minority there, it's a very cold way to look at people.

I actually suspect among the general population, I'm in the silent majority. I suspect in this student website though to be in the minority.
I actually suspect among the general population, I'm in the silent majority. I suspect in this student website though to be in the minority.

People who claim to be part of the silent majority are actually quite vocal about their opinions and tend to belong to the same group of people that stymied Britain's prosperity by buying into the cults of austerity and Brexit. These aren't people who have Britain's best interests at heart.
(edited 1 month ago)
No10 denies deliberately delaying Rwanda flights as spring target ditched

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/rishi-sunak-ditches-rwanda-bill-flights-promise-spring-3012965

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending