The Student Room Group

Should I do medicine just because I have the grades for it?

I'm unsure if I want to do chemistry/biochemistry/medicine. My friends that want to do medicine who got lower grades than me think I should just do medicine. It would also have a more solid career path

Scroll to see replies

only do medicine if you think you'll put the effort into it - it's an intensively demanding career path which requires hard work as well as lots of knowledge
Reply 2
Yes, do medicine!

It will be hard at first, I promise it will pay off in the end :u:
Reply 3
Original post by ShadowStorm689
I'm unsure if I want to do chemistry/biochemistry/medicine. My friends that want to do medicine who got lower grades than me think I should just do medicine. It would also have a more solid career path

You need to spend time figuring this out. You don't just do it because you have the grades. Do it because you want to do it. Because you'll enjoy it and you can see yourself pursuing a career in medicine.

Do some work experience. Some shadowing. Some research. Spend some time looking into what you want to go ahead and do in the future. No-one expects you to make a decision in 5 minutes or just do something because it fits your grades. If you're still not sure, then take that gap year and take some time to think things through!
Reply 4
If you do medicine and you don't actually care for it, it'll take its toll on you and your health.

No. Plenty of people apply for Medicine and have the grades, in fact most if not all that apply have the grades. You've also got to have the passion to want to be a doctor and the evidence to show you have motivation and passion for it

Only do medicine if that is what you want to do, don't let anyone discourage you from doing what you want to do just because you have the grades to do something better. Medicine is a 6 year course plus a few years extra training. If it's what you want to do go for it but if you want to do biochem go for it, I believe you will find it much easier than medicine.
Original post by lizzyktaa
Only do medicine if that is what you want to do, don't let anyone discourage you from doing what you want to do just because you have the grades to do something better. Medicine is a 6 year course plus a few years extra training. If it's what you want to do go for it but if you want to do biochem go for it, I believe you will find it much easier than medicine.

Im scared though if I follow my passion and do chemistry Ill end up in a job with a low salary. I've constantly been told that chemistry/biochemistry have poor job prospects and since I want to work in science I find it discouraging when I see people jumping ship to go off to the finance sector after their degree.
Im scared though if I follow my passion and do chemistry Ill end up in a job with a low salary. I've constantly been told that chemistry/biochemistry have poor job prospects and since I want to work in science I find it discouraging when I see people jumping ship to go off to the finance sector after their degree.

Please do not listen to others, they don't know what they are talking about, this is biochemistry we are talking about, they earn a lot, you could even be a forensic scientist with that degree and they do not earn little. Research jobs you can get with a biochemistry degree and also check the salary.
Reply 9

Have you considered Materials Engineering? It has a fair bit of chemistry, as well as very good job prospects
Original post by Summit
Have you considered Materials Engineering? It has a fair bit of chemistry, as well as very good job prospects

I have considered chemical engineering however this is mostly maths/physics based.My interest initially came from the high starting salary tho but i dont know whether i would truly enjoy it.

You won't have the work experience for it though, would you? Given that it's essentially a last minute resort. Considering this, what would you actually put on your personal statement?
Reply 12
I have considered chemical engineering however this is mostly maths/physics based.My interest initially came from the high starting salary tho but i dont know whether i would truly enjoy it.

Materials is far different from Chemical Engineering, and has a similar starting salary. It has far more chemistry, and if you are interested in biochemistry, many universities offer courses in biomaterials/tissue engineering.

What about Biomedical Engineering?

As others have said no, dont do medicine simply because you have the grades. It is a long, tough course and if you aren't completely committed you will struggle and possibly fail and/or drop out.

Go to hospitals, shadow some doctors and see if i t really is something that interests you. If it does, great but if not ignore your friends and do what you choose. After all, when you are at university or later, when working, your friends will not be the ones sitting your exams and doing your job. It's your life not theirs, do what you want to do and leave them to make their own decisions.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
You won't have the work experience for it though, would you? Given that it's essentially a last minute resort. Considering this, what would you actually put on your personal statement?

At the beginning of Year 12 I was part of the bandwagon to do medicine. I did work experience at a hospital and was in the elderly wards and A&E. I found out that I dont really want to be a doctor and it may not suit me. It didnt appeal to me however when Im older i dont want to regret my decision based my uncertainty as a kid

I'm applying for medicine, so maybe I can give you some insight :smile: I wouldn't 'just go' for medicine, not unless you really want it. Medicine is not only a career, but a vocation. The training is extensive and you will always be doing exams - it's highly competitive to get into and at interview they will know if you're applying just because you can or because you're actually passionate about it. You'll be studying for at least 5 years at uni, and then at least another 5 years of training on top of that. You'll have to deal with night shifts during that, feeling exhausted but having to carry on, and you'll need to want to carry on! It's a highly rewarding career path but you'll need to be committed to it, really committed because it'll be hard work. Also in terms of practicalities you'll need to consider the different course types, sit admissions tests and make sure you've got volunteering and work experience - this will take weeks so don't waste time on it unless you are honestly sure. Also it's not as 'solid' as most people think - as a junior doctor your pay will start around 21k a year, and won't increase hugely until you qualify. Have a good think about it, the best way to tell will be by doing work experience as this will give you an insight into the career :smile: Maybe talk to other doctors/med students at open days?
Original post by Bookwormninja
As others have said no, dont do medicine simply because you have the grades. It is a long, tough course and if you aren't completely committed you will struggle and possibly fail and/or drop out.

Go to hospitals, shadow some doctors and see if i t really is something that interests you. If it does, great but if not ignore your friends and do what you choose. After all, when you are at university or later, when working, your friends will not be the ones sitting your exams and doing your job. It's your life not theirs, do what you want to do and leave them to make their own decisions.

Of course I understand the importance of following my interests I want to have a job at the end of it and have a good quality of life. I know a guy who did Chemistry at UCL and went off to become a pharmaceutical sales representative (i.e salesman). He discouraged me to do chemistry because of the job market.
**** no, don't apply "just because I have the grades". That's monumentally stupid. Put in some time, do some research about the career and get some actual work experience like all the other students who know they want to do Medicine. Don't look down on other people's career choices because they got lower grades than you - that just sounds really arrogant and entitled. By all means, go ahead and apply for Medicine if you want, but put yourself on an equal footing with all the other students and don't expect that you'll get in just on grades. Medicine applications have so many hoops to jump through, so many other requirements and extra boxes to tick - someone who actually had the faintest idea about the career path would already know this.
Definitely not. If you're only doing it because of the grades, I wouldn't say to commit yourself to medicine. It's a really long course to commit to.

Think of what you actually want to do and go for that.*
If you are actually looking for a career with high salary then i advice doing petroleum engineer. Out of all the engineers they have the highest starting salary

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending