The Student Room Group

should i just do engineering?

the main question is, should i just give up on medicine and do an engineering apprenticeship?

the only reason im saying this is because i initially applied for foundation medicine (my grades aren't good enough for medicine) but i completely failed my UCAT so i kind of knew i wouldn't get in. i've already been rejected by them. my dad said if i don't get into medicine i might as well do something so i could get money. he said i'd enjoy engineering because i like maths - it's my favourite subject. however, my whole life he's been pushing for me to do medicine. it's only because of the increase in costs etc. that he's pushing more for engineering because to him it's not a waste of time and i can earn good money. i understand since medicine lasts a long time and a lot of money and investment which my family is very very tight on having.

my only problem is engineer is very physics heavy and i didn't take physics - thinking i would get into medicine (i am doing bio, chem and maths)

to be honest i don't know what i want to do... i am terrified i won't get the grades i want at A level and it's overdramatic but to me it wold be the end of the world if i got anything lower than what i am aiming for and i'd hate to resit.

is engineering alright? would it be worth it? i hated physics but my dad said if i go into his field of engineering i think it's more technical then it's more statistics and calculus.

im just really confused and overwhelmed i guess, especially since i'm probably taking that gap year and my dad told me to get work experience for medicine at the NHS but i can't help but feel guilty for not doing engineering... i would like a job sooner than later and not worry about money but i had just managed to force myself to have a passion for medicine and now my dad expects me to completely refocus onto engineering. he says it doesn't matter if i'm happy if it earns money.. ahhh im sorry and thank you and sorry it's so long 😭
Wow, I am in the same exact position, I applied for foundation medicine because of my UCAT and I was devastated when i got rejected. It’s honestly so so competitive and some of us don’t get in.
What i thought of was that I have worked so hard to then just give up on my dream of doing medicine so easily?
I have got offer from my backup which was pharmacology but honestly I can’t see myself doing that for the rest of my life. So i have decided to take a gap, do loads of work experience and hopefully do much better on my UCAT.
Whenever i think that its going to be a waste of year and what if I dont get in again, i think that life is going to go by anyway why not try do something you wanna do.
In my opinion, I don’t think you should completely change your focus immediately to engineering, keep it as a backup if you don’t get in again, take your time and re-evaluate your choices. Think of how privileged we are to have choices to fall back onto if someone doesn’t work out. So relax a little bit( i know its sooo hard to rn) think it through and do what you need to in the gap year.
Another option, which isn’t really preferred by many is studying is abroad, I enquired it we can get a student loan and they said yes. its a hard decision but it is relatively so much easier to get into medicine abroad, so thats another choice if you are determined to do medicine.
But at the end of it, we have a very short life, and it feels like the end of the world getting rejection but its only making us stronger. if we don’t get into medicine next year as well, our life is not finished, there are so many other fields and careers which offer good money, appreciation and work-life balance that we can go into, we can’t just stop there.
To conclude it, take a gap year perhaps relax a bit, do all you can for a good UCAT and if its still a rejection move on. You have done whatever you can on your part to be do medicine of it but if its not meant for you, you can’t change it.
Rejection is just redirection, don’t give up yet. Admission into medicine doesn’t define me or you or anyone! I am so proud of you for getting so far! Welldone.
Reply 2
Original post by anayasyed
Wow, I am in the same exact position, I applied for foundation medicine because of my UCAT and I was devastated when i got rejected. It’s honestly so so competitive and some of us don’t get in.
What i thought of was that I have worked so hard to then just give up on my dream of doing medicine so easily?
I have got offer from my backup which was pharmacology but honestly I can’t see myself doing that for the rest of my life. So i have decided to take a gap, do loads of work experience and hopefully do much better on my UCAT.
Whenever i think that its going to be a waste of year and what if I dont get in again, i think that life is going to go by anyway why not try do something you wanna do.
In my opinion, I don’t think you should completely change your focus immediately to engineering, keep it as a backup if you don’t get in again, take your time and re-evaluate your choices. Think of how privileged we are to have choices to fall back onto if someone doesn’t work out. So relax a little bit( i know its sooo hard to rn) think it through and do what you need to in the gap year.
Another option, which isn’t really preferred by many is studying is abroad, I enquired it we can get a student loan and they said yes. its a hard decision but it is relatively so much easier to get into medicine abroad, so thats another choice if you are determined to do medicine.
But at the end of it, we have a very short life, and it feels like the end of the world getting rejection but its only making us stronger. if we don’t get into medicine next year as well, our life is not finished, there are so many other fields and careers which offer good money, appreciation and work-life balance that we can go into, we can’t just stop there.
To conclude it, take a gap year perhaps relax a bit, do all you can for a good UCAT and if its still a rejection move on. You have done whatever you can on your part to be do medicine of it but if its not meant for you, you can’t change it.
Rejection is just redirection, don’t give up yet. Admission into medicine doesn’t define me or you or anyone! I am so proud of you for getting so far! Welldone.

that's crazy i haven't seen or heard anything about anyone who's applied for foundation medicine o: thank you for your reply, i guess even though i knew i would get rejected it still came as a shock. thank you for your words! and i hope you take your words too, im proud of you for getting this far, even just applying to medicine is brave ahah proud of both of us!
Original post by i25410

that's crazy i haven't seen or heard anything about anyone who's applied for foundation medicine o: thank you for your reply, i guess even though i knew i would get rejected it still came as a shock. thank you for your words! and i hope you take your words too, im proud of you for getting this far, even just applying to medicine is brave ahah proud of both of us!

Thank you, hopefully in the end it will work out for us.
There is a cadet multi-crew pilot program that I really like, you can take look if you’re interested in, you don’t need anything except average grades in GCSE, which i am sure you already have and I think its so interesting: https://careers.tuigroup.com/uk/pilot-cadet~
I sincerely hope what you want to do works out for you.
Also, have you heard back from all your uni’s?
Original post by i25410

It is so hard and disheartening seeing everyone getting offers and interviews and seeing them get accepted. It just feels like I am such a failure but I am trying to stay positive 😭

Quick Reply

Latest