The Student Room Group

Self-teaching A Level Maths

Hello everyone! In order to get into a particular graduate degree, I need A-Level Maths.

I know A Levels have reformed/will reform but I would love it if someone could give me a full breakdown of what is going on. I asked an independent college about doing my maths exams at their college and this is what they told me:

"The last exam opportunity with the old syllabus will be June 2018 which means you can do AS exams in June 2017 and then A2 in June 2018"

Is this true?

Are AS exams also now separate from A Levels (as in, they don't count towards the an A Level)? In that case, should I just do my A Level Mathematics in June 2018?

Also general information in regards to what modules are mandatory/what exam board I should go along with etc would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Original post by Anticipating
Hello everyone! In order to get into a particular graduate degree, I need A-Level Maths.

I know A Levels have reformed/will reform but I would love it if someone could give me a full breakdown of what is going on. I asked an independent college about doing my maths exams at their college and this is what they told me:

"The last exam opportunity with the old syllabus will be June 2018 which means you can do AS exams in June 2017 and then A2 in June 2018"

Is this true?

Are AS exams also now separate from A Levels (as in, they don't count towards the an A Level)? In that case, should I just do my A Level Mathematics in June 2018?

Also general information in regards to what modules are mandatory/what exam board I should go along with etc would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

The exams you would hypothetically take in 2017 would count towards the A2 in 2018, since it's still under the old system.

A Level Maths hasn't been reformed.

C1,C2,C3,C4 are mandatory core modules.

You pick two applied modules from: S1,S2,S3,M1,M2,M3,D1,D2,D3.

For AS, you would do C1 and C2, plus an applied module. For A2, would do C3 and C4, plus another different applied module.

Is this true?

Thanks!
Maths is non-linear. This means the AS count towards your final A Level grade for Maths. I think this stands as it is until 2017/2018. In AS you study C1,C2 (core modules) and an applied module. In A2 you study C3, C4 (core modules) and an applied module!
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
The exams you would hypothetically take in 2017 would count towards the A2 in 2018, since it's still under the old system.

A Level Maths hasn't been reformed.

C1,C2,C3,C4 are mandatory core modules.

You pick two applied modules from: S1,S2,S3,M1,M2,M3,D1,D2,D3.

For AS, you would do C1 and C2, plus an applied module. For A2, would do C3 and C4, plus another different applied module.

Ahhhh I see. Thanks! I just watched a video of a girl who had just finished year 12 saying that her school did internal exams for Maths and would do the entire A Level next summer? I think her exam board was MEI or something? Does this then only apply to her exam board and not the rest? Apologies if I sound thick aha!
(edited 7 years ago)

Is this true?

Thanks!

I'm self-teaching too... New A-Level Maths first exam isn't till 2019.
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Maths is non-linear. This means the AS count towards your final A Level grade for Maths. I think this stands as it is until 2017/2018. In AS you study C1,C2 (core modules) and an applied module. In A2 you study C3, C4 (core modules) and an applied module!

Right okay, would it be smart of me to do C1,C2,C3,C4 + the two applied modules next summer instead of spreading it out over two years? I'm currently in uni but it's piss-easy so there aren't any issues about not having time etc as I will be putting in all my effort into this?
Original post by ckfeister
I'm self-teaching too... New A-Level Maths first exam isn't till 2019.

Oh okay, will you be doing it over 2 years then in the standard way?
Oh okay, will you be doing it over 2 years then in the standard way?

Yes, started in mid-August doing C1. Chapter 5 finished tomorrow. I'm basically in same position as you, aiming for A*. Need any help ask here or PM.
Yes, started in mid-August doing C1. Chapter 5 finished tomorrow. I'm basically in same position as you, aiming for A*. Need any help ask here or PM.

Oh cool! Would you mind sharing the resources/names of books you're using as I'm practically clueless? :P
Oh cool! Would you mind sharing the resources/names of books you're using as I'm practically clueless? :P

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-Level-Modular-Mathematics/dp/0435519107/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471713901&sr=8-1&keywords=C1+Edexcel -> C1 textbook

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-Level-Modular-Mathematics/dp/0435519115/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471713901&sr=8-2&keywords=C1+Edexcel -> C2 textbook

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Level-Modular-Mathematics-Statistics/dp/0435519123/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1471713901&sr=8-3&keywords=C1+Edexcel -> S1 textbook (its the applied module I'm doing; if you want M1/D1 just search M1 Edexcel/D1 Edexcel look for the one made by Pearson.
https://mathswebsite.com/login
-> currently the website is down so use their youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/HEGARTYMATHS... it should be back up very soon... the website you go to A-Level/ then you get C1/C2/C3/C4/S1/D1/M1 and you just do the lessons.

How to study it without the huge flaw I did in GCSE causing me to get C/B instead of A (which I was working at)

My mistake from homeschool in GCSEs (caused me to get C in Physics/B in Chemistry when I was working at an A!!!!!) get it all done before January... so make your EVERYTHING is done by new year 1st January... do whatever it takes then do past paper of each module and get that grade to 95% by end of April... that way your secured to get an A.

At homestudy, take everything for granted... any advantage you got grab it... example: I got 1 month before BTEC Science begins (got either A/A* in Maths so I could of done it at college... if they didn't scrap all A-Levels... and all kent colleges... anyway back to point... 1 month before I start and at Chapter 5, I'm hoping to finish C1 and half way of C2 before 18th September so I'll be granteed to complete by end of December no matter what... make sure you make it and maximum finished, not minimum thats the huge mistake I did.
Right okay, would it be smart of me to do C1,C2,C3,C4 + the two applied modules next summer instead of spreading it out over two years? I'm currently in uni but it's piss-easy so there aren't any issues about not having time etc as I will be putting in all my effort into this?
I am an AS student so I have just finished C1,C2 and an applied module. Although I haven't started A2 yet I have taken initiative and finished reading C3 and C4. I wouldn't advice doing it all in one go as you would need to fully understand the techniques required to answer the questions; (especially with applied modules like M1 and S1). You also need to be ituitive in some questions. If you have good memory and you are good with cramming a lot of content in little time, then I see no reason as to why you shouldn't do all 6 modules at one
(edited 7 years ago)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-Level-Modular-Mathematics/dp/0435519107/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471713901&sr=8-1&keywords=C1+Edexcel -> C1 textbook

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-Level-Modular-Mathematics/dp/0435519115/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471713901&sr=8-2&keywords=C1+Edexcel -> C2 textbook

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Level-Modular-Mathematics-Statistics/dp/0435519123/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1471713901&sr=8-3&keywords=C1+Edexcel -> S1 textbook (its the applied module I'm doing; if you want M1/D1 just search M1 Edexcel/D1 Edexcel look for the one made by Pearson.
https://mathswebsite.com/login
-> currently the website is down so use their youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/HEGARTYMATHS... it should be back up very soon... the website you go to A-Level/ then you get C1/C2/C3/C4/S1/D1/M1 and you just do the lessons.

How to study it without the huge flaw I did in GCSE causing me to get C/B instead of A (which I was working at)

My mistake from homeschool in GCSEs (caused me to get C in Physics/B in Chemistry when I was working at an A!!!!!) get it all done before January... so make your EVERYTHING is done by new year 1st January... do whatever it takes then do past paper of each module and get that grade to 95% by end of April... that way your secured to get an A.

At homestudy, take everything for granted... any advantage you got grab it... example: I got 1 month before BTEC Science begins (got either A/A* in Maths so I could of done it at college... if they didn't scrap all A-Levels... and all kent colleges... anyway back to point... 1 month before I start and at Chapter 5, I'm hoping to finish C1 and half way of C2 before 18th September so I'll be granteed to complete by end of December no matter what... make sure you make it and maximum finished, not minimum thats the huge mistake I did.

thanks a ton for this! I take it you're doing Edexcel then?

Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
I am an AS student so I have just finished C1,C2 and an applied module. Although I haven't started A2 yet I have taken initiative and finished reading C3 and C4. I wouldn't advice doing it all in one go as you would need to fully understand the techniques required to answer the questions; (especially with applied modules like M1 and S1). You also need to be ituitive in some questions. If you have good memory and you are good with cramming a lot of content in little time, then I see no reason as to why you shouldn't do all 6 modules at one
ahh I see, I think I'll just do it over 2 years instead so that I can retake any modules just in case!

ahh I see, I think I'll just do it over 2 years instead so that I can retake any modules just in case!
Yep this way seems to be the best.

Yes, thats the most resources out there.
I sat the OCR MEI Maths A level this year; they will bring in a new syllabus from 2017 but those who sat their AS in 2016 would still get the old syllabus exam in 2017 to complete their A level. I don't think the new exam papers from the new syllabus will be given the students for the next couple of years.
Reply 15
I think AS can easily be self taught, I think it's do-able In as little as 3 months. Do make sure you take the applied units as serious as the core units (I didn't focus on stats till the last few weeks and it got my grade down to a B). But A2, especially C4 will just be a nightmare to do alone, some of C2 might even be a struggle but nonetheless doable.
Original post by Applepiex3
I sat the OCR MEI Maths A level this year; they will bring in a new syllabus from 2017 but those who sat their AS in 2016 would still get the old syllabus exam in 2017 to complete their A level. I don't think the new exam papers from the new syllabus will be given the students for the next couple of years.

oh that's odd, this is the girl I mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0B_q8xAYtw

(she starts to talk about it in the beginning of the video)
(edited 7 years ago)
oh that's odd, this is the girl I mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0B_q8xAYtw

(she starts to talk about it in the beginning of the video)

When I sat my AS they told us something similar of how we won't be allowed to redo our 2015 exam in 2016 since the syllabus is changing (prob to make sure we don't retake). But it was still possible to retake from that syllabus in 2016.

I still feel next year will be the last year for official exams for this syllabus and then the new syllabus exams start from 2018-2019.

Quick Reply

Latest