The Student Room Group

How do you know when freshers week is and can you skip it?

As the title says.
I know it is not recommended but does it affect your grades or anything ? I don't want to lose out on getting the best grades so it's pretty important. Any and all help would be appreciated,
Thank you for reading

Scroll to see replies

There's usually some introduction talks from your course reps or department that you should attend, plus some admin things. So best not to skip it entirely.
ITS always the first week of term ut best not to skip it as crucial info is given out
Original post by alevez2ez
As the title says.
I know it is not recommended but does it affect your grades or anything ? I don't want to lose out on getting the best grades so it's pretty important. Any and all help would be appreciated,
Thank you for reading

Hello :smile:

'Freshers Week' is not in anyway shape or form to do with your course. During Freshers Week there is events like Freshers Fairs, SU BBQ's, Night Time Events, Society Meetings and such - they are all social events and about ice-breaker events and getting to know the university. Sometimes there are talks about your course - like introductory events and what not.

For some universities, Freshers Week doesn't overlap the beginning of the course, for others, it does etc.

You can skip it if you want too but even if you did attend the events during Freshers, it wouldn't effect your grades.

Best of luck :smile:
You will lose a degree class for each day you don't get drunk, so it's very important.
Reply 5
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello :smile:

'Freshers Week' is not in anyway shape or form to do with your course. During Freshers Week there is events like Freshers Fairs, SU BBQ's, Night Time Events, Society Meetings and such - they are all social events and about ice-breaker events and getting to know the university. Sometimes there are talks about your course - like introductory events and what not.

For some universities, Freshers Week doesn't overlap the beginning of the course, for others, it does etc.

You can skip it if you want too but even if you did attend the events during Freshers, it wouldn't effect your grades.

Best of luck :smile:

Thanks.
Officially, as long as you go to the official university talks then you're fine. Unofficially, as long as you go to the things that are registered you'll be fine. Extremely little is actually registered unless you're unlucky.
Reply 7
Original post by donutellme
There's usually some introduction talks from your course reps or department that you should attend, plus some admin things. So best not to skip it entirely.

ey mayyynee do they show u how to make GAINS tho??
Reply 8
I am going to be commuting every day so not too keen to commute in if there isn't really anything worth going to.
Fresher's week is the first week of the autumn term. The partying/drinking activities go on in the evenings. The days are full of registration for courses, introductions to the library, course discussions, meeting key people, finding your way around, joining clubs and societies etc. Dont miss anything between 0900 and 1700. You can miss everything that happens after that time and turn up the next day with a clear head!
As the title says.
Thank you for reading

Your uni should have emailed you or will email you to tell you when it is and what arrangements are, and regardless information should be available online. You definitely should not "skip" freshers week altogether because there are important induction events but social activities can be avoided if you wish.
Reply 11
Original post by Plagioclase
Your uni should have emailed you or will email you to tell you when it is and what arrangements are, and regardless information should be available online. You definitely should not "skip" freshers week altogether because there are important induction events but social activities can be avoided if you wish.

why have you put skip in quotes
Original post by difeo
why have you put skip in quotes

Because it depends on what you mean by skip. I'm quoting the OP.
"skip freshers" lol

anyway it's normally the 1st two weeks but each uni is different and the events are more or less at each uni depending on funding and student unions. You also gotta do registration...

I wouldn't skip it but whatever
As the title says.

Thank you for reading

I would definitely go to the university talks and stuff, they may not be directly related to your course but you could end up missing some pretty useful information. There's the social side as well, three of the guys who were put into my group on the very first day were my best friends for the rest of the year so you might want to consider that. There's also tours and society events and all sorts. Plus all my freshers events had registered so it might look pretty bad if you don't bother turning up.This is all assuming you're a first year of course, if you're second year and above and not bothered about the drinking side then forget freshers it's a waste of time.
Original post by Meganz2
I am going to be commuting every day so not too keen to commute in if there isn't really anything worth going to.

No offence but that seems pretty lazy, you're gonna have to commute to uni everyday once term starts you know.
Reply 15
Because it depends on what you mean by skip. I'm quoting the OP.

There's only one thing it could possibly mean
Original post by difeo
There's only one thing it could possibly mean

I am sorry that my use of speech marks upset you.
Reply 17
I am sorry that my use of speech marks upset you.

I forgive you
Original post by eden3
ey mayyynee do they show u how to make GAINS tho??

Yesaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhbhhbhbbbbbhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh mayne!! There's all kinds of sugar walls and balls deep action, ALL KINDS

Ey mayne today I was in the gymmm.... makin some gains.....

Some grade gains cos we was doing an exam in the uni sports hall :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by donutellme
Yesaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhbhhbhbbbbbhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh mayne!! There's all kinds of sugar walls and balls deep action, ALL KINDS

Ey mayne today I was in the gymmm.... makin some gains.....

Some grade gains cos we was doing an exam in the uni sports hall :smile:

ayyyyyyyyyyyyymeennnnnnnnnnn brotha you gettin all KIIIIINDS of intellectual stimulation up in this *****

Praise LAWD GAAIIIIns for blessing thou to make some MO GRADE gaiiiins... awwww...yeahh.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending