The Student Room Group

Is 17 too young to start Uni?

Hey. I'll be 17 when I start Uni this year (Law) and I've always felt ok about this as I'm not a big drinker anyway, I prefer gigs to hanging about friends houses drinking alcohol.

I think I'm relatively mature, it's just my dad and I so I've always been used to doing my fair share in the home alongside my schoolwork, I also have a part time job and a good social life with my friend group.

So felt ok generally until I started reading more about freshers (I always knew about this but it felt less tangible than it does now!) So I guess my question is will I be missing out on a lot if I start at 17 or will it not really matter? (I turn 18 on Jan 1st)
You'll be absolutely fine. Lots of people enrol at 17 and turn 18 during the first year. If you're not wanting to go out drinking from day 1 then it's not going to make much difference. Plus you'll meet plenty of people older than you that are more immature :smile:
Did you skip a year or something, because normally everyone is 18
Reply 3
No I didn't skip a year. I'm Scottish and it's 50/50 with my friends, some will be 18 when they go, some 17 (the end of Feb is the cut off for our year group)
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
You'll be absolutely fine. Lots of people enrol at 17 and turn 18 during the first year. If you're not wanting to go out drinking from day 1 then it's not going to make much difference. Plus you'll meet plenty of people older than you that are more immature :smile:

Thank you for the reply. I (think!) I know deep down it will be fine, if I think about it clearly it's just the fact it's always been an abstract concept and now that it's real I'm starting to question pretty much everything lol. Thanks again, appreciate the reply x
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey. I'll be 17 when I start Uni this year (Law) and I've always felt ok about this as I'm not a big drinker anyway, I prefer gigs to hanging about friends houses drinking alcohol.

I think I'm relatively mature, it's just my dad and I so I've always been used to doing my fair share in the home alongside my schoolwork, I also have a part time job and a good social life with my friend group.

So felt ok generally until I started reading more about freshers (I always knew about this but it felt less tangible than it does now!) So I guess my question is will I be missing out on a lot if I start at 17 or will it not really matter? (I turn 18 on Jan 1st)

Hi,

At most universities you will find that a lot of other students are in a similar position and do not want to/do not drink or are big party people.

Your universities student union may hold regular non-drinking events so I would keep an eye out for those. I would also recommend having a look at societies and their social media if you have time just to see what kind of events they put on eg socials/fundraisers. Usually, wellbeing and creative societies have more non-drinking events compared to sports societies where their socials may involve more drinking (but do check a sports society out if you are interested as they may have non-drinking events aswell as drinking events so you can join in on the ones you can).

As well as the type of events, people in societies are usually different ages anyway so age is not really a hot topic.

I hope this reassures you and you enjoy your university journey.

I do not drink or like to party at all so if you have any more questions do feel free to ask them but also remember everyones university experience is different! :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi, don't stress too much. At the majority of unis there are a lot of non drinking socials and even if it is a social where drinks are available, no one should be pressuring you into drinking. Personally, I did not go to a drinking social until 8 months into uni and even then I didn't feel pressured to be involved in drinking. One thing I would recommend is joining a society as they are also a great way to meet people, get involved in socials and are generally a great way of getting involved in different activities with no drinking involved. Uni isn't just about drinking so don't worry about your social life as there is a lot for you to do without drinking.

Sophie (Student Ambassador)

Hey,

First off - you're certainly not alone in not being a big drinker, and you'll honestly be surprised at just how many people you meet at university who have a similar mindset. Personally, I'm not a big drinker myself and I didn't want to partake in a few of the freshers socials which placed a bigger emphasis on alcohol: but even during Freshers Week, there were still tons of non-alcohol focused ice-breaker events such as paintballing/cinema trips/sports tasters that allowed me to meet lots of new people and have a freshers experience that I ended up really enjoying.

In terms of age, I think what's most important is whether or not you feel you're ready to go to university - and by the sounds, you feel you are! It's perfectly normal to be a bit nervous and have doubts whether you're making the right choice, but I don't think you have anything to worry about. I have a few friends who started university at 17, and I honestly don't ever remember it being an issue - in fact, they were probably more sensible than some of the students I know who started their courses at 19/20! :wink:

Eve (Kingston Rep).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending