The Student Room Group
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website

York St John freshers

Hi guys,

I’m going to york St John in September and I’m so scared about freshers week. I’m an anxious person and the idea of going out every night stresses me out. Also what’s the deal with freshers events? Like will ysj hold events? I haven’t brought any tickets off Facebook or anything cause that stresses me out? Idk what to do tbh
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys,

I’m going to york St John in September and I’m so scared about freshers week. I’m an anxious person and the idea of going out every night stresses me out. Also what’s the deal with freshers events? Like will ysj hold events? I haven’t brought any tickets off Facebook or anything cause that stresses me out? Idk what to do tbh

Hi there! I totally understand the anxiety around freshers week as I felt very similar when I was a first year student. Freshers week is an opportunity for you to meet new people and settle into your university experience without being thrust straight away into lessons without knowing anyone else. When I first moved into my accommodation on the first day, I was greeted by some ambassadors who showed me where my flat was and gave me leaflets with explanations about the events going on and when. There was also information inside my flat. We will have lots of events going on all week which cater to people who wish to go out each night and those who are not interested in partying as much. When my flatmates arrived, we decided to all go out that evening and bought our tickets online together via Fatsoma which you can get as an app. The kind of events which occur will be things like: a petting zoo outside of the student union, vintage clothes sales, an outdoor cinema in the Quad, pub quizzes, karaoke, Frat nights, club nights, a freshers fair and more. I would really recommend going to the freshers fair as you can find more information about the different societies going on and sign up to them in advance. I signed up to lots of different ones, attended taster days and decided which one I wanted to be a member of as a result. It is so useful going to this event as you can meet like minded people, get more information about the uni and get freebies of course!

Hopefully this has eased your mind a little bit, and you feel excitement amongst the anxiety for the beginning of the year. I did not go out every night when I first came but it was nice because you know that everyone else is in the same situation as you and is probably feeling the same. Congratulations on securing a place at YSJ by the way! I wish you lots of luck for your first year and hope you'll enjoy it. If you have any more questions then I am very happy to try and answer them.

Rachel- YSJ student rep
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Rachel_ysj
Hi there! I totally understand the anxiety around freshers week as I felt very similar when I was a first year student. Freshers week is an opportunity for you to meet new people and settle into your university experience without being thrust straight away into lessons without knowing anyone else. When I first moved into my accommodation on the first day, I was greeted by some ambassadors who showed me where my flat was and gave me leaflets with explanations about the events going on and when. There was also information inside my flat. We will have lots of events going on all week which cater to people who wish to go out each night and those who are not interested in partying as much. When my flatmates arrived, we decided to all go out that evening and bought our tickets online together via Fatsoma which you can get as an app. The kind of events which occur will be things like: a petting zoo outside of the student union, vintage clothes sales, an outdoor cinema in the Quad, pub quizzes, karaoke, Frat nights, club nights, a freshers fair and more. I would really recommend going to the freshers fair as you can find more information about the different societies going on and sign up to them in advance. I signed up to lots of different ones, attended taster days and decided which one I wanted to be a member of as a result. It is so useful going to this event as you can meet like minded people, get more information about the uni and get freebies of course!

Hopefully this has eased your mind a little bit, and you feel excitement amongst the anxiety for the beginning of the year. I did not go out every night when I first came but it was nice because you know that everyone else is in the same situation as you and is probably feeling the same. Congratulations on securing a place at YSJ by the way! I wish you lots of luck for your first year and hope you'll enjoy it. If you have any more questions then I am very happy to try and answer them.

Rachel- YSJ student rep

hi, thank you so much for your reply! how do you get your keys for your accom at ysj? i’ve got my arrival pass but im going alone to get my keys!
Original post by Anonymous
hi, thank you so much for your reply! how do you get your keys for your accom at ysj? i’ve got my arrival pass but im going alone to get my keys!

You're very welcome! When I was in first year, I was given instructions prior to turning up to the accommodation to go to the information desk in the Holgate building where they gave me an envelope with information and my keys inside. I would assume that it is the same but I would check your emails or go to that information desk upon arrival as they will be able to help you.

I hope this helped! I hope you like your accommodation and you have a safe arrival.

Rachel- YSJ student rep
Reply 4
Hello, do you have any information on how flexible our timetables will be for the first years in a double " dual honors" course? For instance, do the timetables remain the same or do they change regularly, i am worried that I may have to shift my extra curricular activities on a daily if this may be the case. I am hoping to have a good work, revision life as well as continuing my extra activities on the side.
Kind regards,
future student.
Original post by BUNNYXO
Hello, do you have any information on how flexible our timetables will be for the first years in a double " dual honors" course? For instance, do the timetables remain the same or do they change regularly, i am worried that I may have to shift my extra curricular activities on a daily if this may be the case. I am hoping to have a good work, revision life as well as continuing my extra activities on the side.
Kind regards,
future student.

Hi!
I can't say for certain however I don't believe your timetable will change regularly or dramatically. Here is the email for the YSJ admissions team if you would like to take your enquiry further. [email protected]

Hope this helps! Faye :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you so much, do you have any advice for students who may be commuting, for instance how to notify the tutor/ lecturer if our arrival may be slightly delayed. As i am keen to keep a regular and great attendance for the upcoming future, my chosen course is for Politics.
Kind regards.
Original post by BUNNYXO
Thank you so much, do you have any advice for students who may be commuting, for instance how to notify the tutor/ lecturer if our arrival may be slightly delayed. As i am keen to keep a regular and great attendance for the upcoming future, my chosen course is for Politics.
Kind regards.

Hi there!

When the year begins, you will find out the names of your tutors and they will provide emails in their welcome talks which you can contact them through. If you are going to be late to class, I would advise that you email your lecturer and CC in your academic tutor. If you know you will be absent, then you have to fill in an absence form and email a tutor also. You can access the absence form via the YSJ app or the website here: https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/students/your-student-record/report-an-absence/

I have a few friends who commute and one finds it difficult when there are train strikes but the PowerPoints to lectures and seminars are uploaded on moodle which you can access to keep up. I would also try to join a society as a way to make friends with like-minded people! I wish you the best of luck with your first year and hope you enjoy your time at YSJ.

Hope this helps!

Rachel- YSJ student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending