The Student Room Group

Is Cerazette effective?

Hey. I am taking cerazette and have read if taken correctly (same time each day, no sickness or other contraindications) it is over 99% effective. However I have read on the same website it only releases a egg 97 out 100 cycles but still if taken correctly it is effective.
How can this be possible if an egg could be released 3% of the time
Reply 1
Cerazette is effective - and has a 12 hour window of efficacy, meaning you can be 11 hours late in taking it and the effectiveness won't be reduced. 12, and the effectiveness is reduced.

Hormonal birth control works in three ways - reduction or cessation of ovulation, thickening of cervical mucous, and reduction in the amount of uterine lining. In other words, even during that 3% of the time that you may ovulate, the other mechanisms in place prevent conception.

In other words, even on the offchance of an egg being available (unlikely - 97% meaning it'd happen once every 33 cycles or 2.5 years roughly), sperm can't reach the womb because it's blocked off by mucous, and the egg would have a harder time implanting in the thinner uterine lining.

Progesterone-only contraception is fantastic: the arm implant and hormonal IUD are progesterone-only as well. Fewer periods and none of the problems combined oral contraception poses? Sign me up. Been using Cerazette for about five years now.
Yes, it is reliable.

In addition to stopping 'nearly all' egg development, it also changes the consistency of the mucus at your cervix. Normally, it gets very thin and stretchy when you're ovulating, but with progesterone contraception, it stays thicker and blocks sperm getting into your uterus.
Reply 3
Original post by unprinted
Yes, it is reliable.

In addition to stopping 'nearly all' egg development, it also changes the consistency of the mucus at your cervix. Normally, it gets very thin and stretchy when you're ovulating, but with progesterone contraception, it stays thicker and blocks sperm getting into your uterus.

Thank you for your reply, so if taken at the same time each day it is OVER 99% effective?, same as combined pill (Which i know works) :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Bicuspid
Cerazette is effective - and has a 12 hour window of efficacy, meaning you can be 11 hours late in taking it and the effectiveness won't be reduced. 12, and the effectiveness is reduced.

Hormonal birth control works in three ways - reduction or cessation of ovulation, thickening of cervical mucous, and reduction in the amount of uterine lining. In other words, even during that 3% of the time that you may ovulate, the other mechanisms in place prevent conception.

In other words, even on the offchance of an egg being available (unlikely - 97% meaning it'd happen once every 33 cycles or 2.5 years roughly), sperm can't reach the womb because it's blocked off by mucous, and the egg would have a harder time implanting in the thinner uterine lining.

Progesterone-only contraception is fantastic: the arm implant and hormonal IUD are progesterone-only as well. Fewer periods and none of the problems combined oral contraception poses? Sign me up. Been using Cerazette for about five years now.

Thanks for your reply. Could I ask if you have had much bleeding on cerazette? I have recently moved from the combined pill and I am worried about irregular periods, the effectiveness of my new mini pill and weight gain/acne

Thank you for this! Are you sure cerazette is 12 hours not 3? I keep reading different things in different places, even my GP said it was 3, yet the website says 12.

Ive been on cerazette since september, (was on the combined pill before) and haven't had a period since February, which is a blessing but also makes me a little anxious about pregnancy. If I'm not having periods does that mean I'm not having a 'cycle'?
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for your reply. Could I ask if you have had much bleeding on cerazette? I have recently moved from the combined pill and I am worried about irregular periods, the effectiveness of my new mini pill and weight gain/acne

I thought id give you my experience of the transition. I was on the combined pill for about 3 years, and switched to cerazette a year ago. I had a 3 week period a few days after the transition, and then a bit of spotting. I then had two normal periods every other month. Since then (February) I have no bleeding whatsoever! I also feel a lot better on Cerazette, one less hormone, no anxiety about blood clots/high blood pressure/cancer as it doesn't carry the risks that the combined pill does. I actually changed to Cerazette because of my health anxieties.

I wouldn't worry about things like weight gain, to me they have always been a bit of a myth. Acne Iv had no problem with, though Iv always had balanced skin.
Thank you for this! Are you sure cerazette is 12 hours not 3? I keep reading different things in different places, even my GP said it was 3, yet the website says 12.

Ive been on cerazette since september, (was on the combined pill before) and haven't had a period since February, which is a blessing but also makes me a little anxious about pregnancy. If I'm not having periods does that mean I'm not having a 'cycle'?

Because it has a higher dose of progesterone than most progesterone-only pills, its 'window' is longer.

Very probably. If the lack of any bleeding means you're worried about pregnancy, get in a stock of 'own brand' or Poundland pregnancy tests and use one every couple of months.
Original post by unprinted
Because it has a higher dose of progesterone than most progesterone-only pills, its 'window' is longer.

Very probably. If the lack of any bleeding means you're worried about pregnancy, get in a stock of 'own brand' or Poundland pregnancy tests and use one every couple of months.

I have a large bundle I bought off amazon for 2 quid- they don't have a plastic shell, literally mad of card with the test on the other end. I should take another one soon I guess, but do you know if cheap tests are just as effective? I always take 2 or 3 just to make sure they all say negative. I can't really be spending 5 quid per test but I don't know if these cheap ones are reliable.
Yes, assuming they're from a legit source, they're reliable. In bulk, they cost pennies.
Reply 10

"Periods" with the combined pill are not actually periods, they're just bleeding. There is no reason to ever have one, and the "week off" in combined pill packs is literally only there to make women "feel normal".

No, you are not having a cycle on the pill. Any pill. Which is the entire point. Triphasic combined pills emulate a cycle by having three different doses as you go along, but it's not really a cycle.

In other words, no, you're not having a cycle on a progesterone only pill, but you don't get them on combined pills either, and that's how they're meant to work so don't worry about it. You're not building up months and months worth of period goop, because the way the hormones work is that they suppress the building up in the first place. If you had cycles, as in, your hormones cycled as normal, you'd build up uterine lining and release an egg and get pregnant.
"Periods" with the combined pill are not actually periods, they're just bleeding. There is no reason to ever have one, and the "week off" in combined pill packs is literally only there to make women "feel normal".

No, you are not having a cycle on the pill. Any pill. Which is the entire point. Triphasic combined pills emulate a cycle by having three different doses as you go along, but it's not really a cycle.

In other words, no, you're not having a cycle on a progesterone only pill, but you don't get them on combined pills either, and that's how they're meant to work so don't worry about it. You're not building up months and months worth of period goop, because the way the hormones work is that they suppress the building up in the first place. If you had cycles, as in, your hormones cycled as normal, you'd build up uterine lining and release an egg and get pregnant.

I see -This is the first time Iv actually understood someone explaining how it all works, so thank you. I am guessing once one comes off these pills/hormones that your menstrual cycle will go back to normal?
Hi according to NHS website you should take a pregnancy test 21 days after you had unprotected sex for a pregnancy test to be reliable. I did not know this info so thought id share.
Reply 13
I see -This is the first time Iv actually understood someone explaining how it all works, so thank you. I am guessing once one comes off these pills/hormones that your menstrual cycle will go back to normal?

Yep! Might take a couple of months to settle down regularly, but it goes back to normal pretty fast.

Quick Reply

Latest