The Student Room Group

Medicine !!

Hello ! I am an aspiring to do medicine or pharmacy in the future . I am planning on studying bio chem maths(stats) and english lit . Although i do not want to do maths any more because i feel that i would not do as well if i carry it on.is there any other subject that would be a good combination and Is it okay if i dont do maths for medicine ? Just started AS btw

Any advice Thanks for reading too ! Any replies would be appreciated ☺️
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AKDbbb
Hello ! I am an aspiring to do medicine or pharmacy in the future . I am planning on studying bio chem maths(stats) and english lit . Although i do not want to do maths any more because i feel that i would not do as well if i carry it on.is there any other subject that would be a good combination and Is it okay if i dont do maths for medicine ? Any advice Thanks for reading too ! Any replies would be appreciated ☺️

You don't need maths for medicine (unless you're hoping to study at Cambridge, but I wouldn't swear to that either). So long as you have your bio and chem, you're fine - the third (and fourth? Not sure from your post whether you're just starting or have just done AS) subject is up to you. So long as your other subject(s) are something you enjoy and are confident you can get your A in, it's fine.
Yes it's ok if you don't do maths :smile: having bio and chem is enough for most unis - I can't think of any apart from Cambridge that want three science subjects. As long as you have bio and chem and don't have critical thinking or general studies as one of 3 A levels, you're good!
Reply 3
not doing maths is completely fine unless you plan to apply to Cambridge who prefer candidates with 3 sciences (maths is a science). For the vast majority of medicals biology and chemistry are completely fine. You could consider psychology or a similar subject for a 4th? Really up to you, but id suggest doing something you like
Reply 4
Physics and psychology are pretty common and useful subjects
Reply 5
As long as you have Bio and Chem you will be fine for most universities. Only Cambridge, to my knowledge, requires you to have 3 science/ maths A levels. Your third and fourth choice should be subjects in which you will feel confident attaining an A in.
Yeah, that should be fine.

Bio and chem to at least AS will open up more options for you, and then you can see if you really want to drop one for A2.
Reply 7
Original post by lightwoXd
You don't need maths for medicine (unless you're hoping to study at Cambridge, but I wouldn't swear to that either). So long as you have your bio and chem, you're fine - the third (and fourth? Not sure from your post whether you're just starting or have just done AS) subject is up to you. So long as your other subject(s) are something you enjoy and are confident you can get your A in, it's fine.

Hello ! Ive just started my AS thanks for the advice btw ! ☺️
Reply 8
Original post by Ezme39
Physics and psychology are pretty common and useful subjects

Hello ! The thing with ohysics is that its the hardest A-level and tbh i dont enjoy it . With psychology all the spaces are taken so i cannot join . Any kther suggestions ?
Reply 9
Original post by AKDbbb
Hello ! The thing with ohysics is that its the hardest A-level and tbh i dont enjoy it . With psychology all the spaces are taken so i cannot join . Any kther suggestions ?

Yeah, you really would need to enjoy physics to do well with it :smile: shame about psychology. Anything that you enjoy really, and it's good to have a humanities subject to show diversity. I did history as one of my A-levels, and some of my friends did sociology (which is much less heavy)
Original post by AKDbbb

Physics is underrated, trust me. It's hard but the boundaries are so low.

I'd say chemistry is the one you should be wary of. It's tricky and the boundaries are still usually a good bit higher than biology and physics. I'd still do chemistry (pretty vital, tbh) but physics is decent, especially since a number of medical schools specify 'biology/chemistry and one other science subject' at A2 or something to that effect. You might find that you want to drop one of bio/chem and take physics for A2, especially if your UMS score in physics is very good.
Original post by AKDbbb
Hello ! Ive just started my AS thanks for the advice btw ! ☺️

No worries! Just wondered whether you were just going to drop maths or swap it for a different subject (can't keep track of this whole reformed A level business haha). Good luck with everything :smile:
Original post by AKDbbb

Definitely don't go for physics if you don't like it. What subjects did you enjoy at GCSE or is there anything you'd want to try? Also people might drop out of psychology in the first few weeks, so if that's something you like the look of it it might be worth keeing an eye on it?
As long as you have Bio and Chem you can pretty much do any other subject you want, so you don't need Maths. Only ones I can think of that are usually rejected by med schools are General Studies and Critical Thinking.
Reply 14
Original post by Ezme39
Yeah, you really would need to enjoy physics to do well with it :smile: shame about psychology. Anything that you enjoy really, and it's good to have a humanities subject to show diversity. I did history as one of my A-levels, and some of my friends did sociology (which is much less heavy)

wow its cas i might do history as a replacement of maths. is it good to drop history after the first year ? would it make any difference towards my application ? from anything like UCAS points
Reply 15
Definitely don't go for physics if you don't like it. What subjects did you enjoy at GCSE or is there anything you'd want to try? Also people might drop out of psychology in the first few weeks, so if that's something you like the look of it it might be worth keeing an eye on it?

definitely, but in the meantime i think i might do history ? i mean is english lit and history good together idk
Reply 16
Original post by AKDbbb
wow its cas i might do history as a replacement of maths. is it good to drop history after the first year ? would it make any difference towards my application ? from anything like UCAS points

As long as you have three A-levels, you will be fine- so I think that dropping history after the first year is wise :smile: the only med school that I can think of which uses UCAS points is barts, and tbh it's not worth risking three good grades over the extra points you may gain
Original post by AKDbbb
definitely, but in the meantime i think i might do history ? i mean is english lit and history good together idk

I guess - the two subjects use similar skills and are both essay based. Practically all my history class also did english lit to at least AS (but don't let that be a major factor in your decision - i think it just tied in well with those people's interests). If that's what you think would be good, go for it!
Reply 18
I guess - the two subjects use similar skills and are both essay based. Practically all my history class also did english lit to at least AS (but don't let that be a major factor in your decision - i think it just tied in well with those people's interests). If that's what you think would be good, go for it!

I thought it went really well together too ! So tbh i think out of all of the options i have i might aswell do history

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending