The Student Room Group

GIRLS: Would you marry a guy who has children ??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by catholicgirl
Well, my mum got divorced when I was 3 and I am now 19 and she has not dated. She has focused on looking after me and my brother (who is under 18). Therefore, it is possible. Some people are able to have their priorities straight.

That's impressive, but it doesn't mean that a mum who dates is in the wrong.
Original post by Rhaenys10
That's impressive, but it doesn't mean that a mum who dates is in the wrong.

I defo agree with that too!! :redface: Society just tries to portray it as being wrong when its not ://
Original post by Ishax
NO (as selfish as that sounds) lol.

I don't think it's selfish at all. It's a big responsibility to take on someone else's child/children.
Personally I would but it depends
If the guy I was dating split amicably with his wife and the kids saw both of their parents or if he was a widow and if they were accepting of me as someone who would be in their life Then I would. If they didn't want me to be a part of their life id be hesitant
But I would still want to have kids with the guy
Original post by FemaleBo55
I defo agree with that too!! :redface: Society just tries to portray it as being wrong when its not ://

I know. While it's definitely best to have parents stay together, sometimes it's better for everyone if they go their separate ways. A father figure doesn't necessarily have to be kid's biological father
Original post by catholicgirl
In my opinion it is one of the silliest things you could ever do!!

Yes, I would but hopefully they would not be spoilt brats
I think it's wrong for women to say No but expect men to accept them when they already have children.
I'm talking about an ex friend of mine who said if she met a man with kids she would not even date them which is out of order because she would not want a man to reject her if she had kids so it's very hypocritical of her
No. I wouldn't even date someone who has kids. To me, you have to be on the same page as your partner when it comes to things like kids and I don't want to have any nor be with someone who has them. I'd happily be friends with someone who had kids though. Just for a partner, we'd have to have the same views on the subject :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Seamus123
I don't think it's selfish at all. It's a big responsibility to take on someone else's child/children.

I agree, I personally want to create my own family with my future husband! I want to be the mother of his first and my first baby etc. It sounds cheesy, but that's what I'd like ideally lol.
I think this is a silly discussion because the majority of girls would be put off by guys that have children. Just as the majority of guys would be put of by girls that have children.

It is not selling point for the vast majority of people its a point against you. However people who have had children previously get married often enough from both gender groups. So clearly its not an insurmountable obstacle to finding a partner.

If someone likes you enough they will be more willing to compromise on things they would usually not do so.

generic rule though try not to have children outside of marriage I know sometimes it happens but generally your usually not doing your children any favors by doing that and your also not really doing yourself any favors.
Original post by Ishax
I agree, I personally want to create my own family with my future husband! I want to be the mother of his first and my first baby etc. It sounds cheesy, but that's what I'd like ideally lol.

I think, ideally, that's what most women want, but sometimes it works out differently. I already have 7 so don't think I'll be doing that any time soon. Lol
No. My husband might object.
I think, ideally, that's what most women want, but sometimes it works out differently. I already have 7 so don't think I'll be doing that any time soon. Lol

I want this now, but obviously age plays a factor. You have 7 children? Wow 😳 .. What do you have and how old are they if you don't mind me asking? ☺️
Original post by Ishax
I want this now, but obviously age plays a factor. You have 7 children? Wow 😳 .. What do you have and how old are they if you don't mind me asking? ☺️

I have 4 girls and 3 boys. Oldest is 44 and youngest is 32. And 16 grandchildren. Oldest is 23, youngest is 18months old.
I have 4 girls and 3 boys. Oldest is 44 and youngest is 32. And 16 grandchildren. Oldest is 23, youngest is 18months old.

Oh wow! I couldn't imagine having that many children, must be fun though 😬
Original post by Ishax
Oh wow! I couldn't imagine having that many children, must be fun though 😬

Most of the time. They have their moments.
Unfortunately, it's a classic case of saying one thing and doing another.

Many studies have proven that men with babies, children or dogs are found to be far more attractive than those without. Particularly if the babies are cute or the children are good-looking.

Social norms rarely break genetic hardwiring. :smile:

SS
Reply 36
I would, purely because I don't wanna produce children of my own (hate the little ****ers), so he probably won't want kids with me so much. Plus, due to the inequalities men face, he probably only has shared custody at best, and they would only come once a week, if at all. Win win for everyone.
Reply 37
I don't even care how selfish it sounds but no i wouldn't take on someone elses kids. it just causes too much crap and theres a lot of unfairness. the men usually expect you to look after his kids at some point but when it comes to the crunch he'll remind you that you aren't the real mother therefore have no say in his kids life

and as far as plenty of surveys go it appears that men with children would also - ironically - prefer to marry a woman with no kids than marry someone who has kids as well. ironic isn't it. ok for them to reject but they throw a b!tch fit is a woman says she doesn't want to date a man with kids.
Because I have the hypermobility type of ehlers danlos. During pregnancy the hormone relaxin increases, which would probably end up with me dislocating joints all the time. My consultant advised using a surrogate to carry the baby, but don't know much about surrogacy.
I had a child with somebody who already has children. Slightly different in that they're adult children though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending