The Student Room Group

Do you think British food is boring and limited?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
I bet you love a good meaty thick sausage?

(edited 7 years ago)
I don't know much about British food, but traditional British beers are splendid.

I rarely drink any alcohol, but If British beer turns up in a shop, I buy it.
Definitely traditional British food is boring and limited - it reflects what can grow here. The new stuff are pretty good tho (I think they called it, collectively, as "modern European").
no, i like ye old fish and chips,
Clearly you have never been to a Toby Carvery, the real jewel of the empire.
You'd be a fool to resist a Sunday roast. :coma:
Reply 26
being a brit - no

I think our food is some of the best.
I don't think it's boring, but as it doesn't tend to rely on lots of spices for flavouring I think it's more sensitive to poor quality ingredients and cooking. I'm currently living in America and really miss a lot of the foods I would normally eat back home.
Original post by Compton Menace
You cant steal food from other nations and pass it of as British

Posted from TSR Mobile

Except what we call Indian/Italian/Chinese etc cuisine bears little resemblance to authentic food from those places. We've taken it and made it our own. Chicken tikka masala being a classic example of something inspired by international cuisine but in of itself is a British creation.

We're one of the few countries on Earth that routinely has food from all different corners of the world and we've been doing this so long that there's little you can really point to and say "that's is purely British food".

But if you're going to move the goalposts to suit your biases then I still disagree, British food is not boring or limited.
Can't beat a bit of ******s and mash! Classic British dish :u: The food I'm thinking off gets starred out, it begins with F and is similar to meatballs - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/******_(food)
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah, but I don't have to live with it thankfully

Although I will have to soon when I go uni...
If it wasn't then I wouldn't have to put in masala and chilli in my baked beans.
It's perfectly fine 👍🏼
Bacon sandwiches. Just sayin'.

But yeah, British cuisine is not internationally renowned but it's not bad either. It has become far better in recent years thanks to increased immigration (TSR nationalists, come at me).
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
If it wasn't then I wouldn't have to put in masala and chilli in my baked beans.

I do this too
Original post by Sisuphos
Bacon sandwiches. Just sayin'.

But yeah, British cuisine is not internationally renowned but it's not bad either. It has become far better in recent years thanks to increased immigration (TSR nationalists, come at me).

The K in UKIP stands for kebab
No because it's a part of my culture. I can see how outsiders would find it boring though, it doesn't have the vivid appearance or smell that foreign cuisine has
Original post by Serine Soul
I do this too

*Asian high five
Reply 38
no. we have restaurants for like every food type and go into tesco u can get pretty much whatever you want. lol
The breakfasts are alright but generally the rest of the cuisine is just limited but the big issue is supermarkets every time I go on holiday I can't get over the amount of variety in other european supermarkets

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest