The Student Room Group

What is your opinion on food bank users?

Do you see them as scroungers or people caught up in the unfortunate policies of the government that have been pushed into hard times through no fault of their own?

Do you believe that this country really should be having to use food banks or do you think it's a disgrace?

I personally believe it is disgusting that people should be put in the position in the first place where they have to use food banks, it's a damning indictment on our economy
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Of course they're not scrounges. No one would use a food bank if they had the choice not to
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Of course they're not scrounges. No one would use a food bank if they had the choice not to

I can't rep you but I 100% agree
Free food innit. I'd use one.

Do you think that there is definitely a stigma surrounding food bank users in society?
They're people who have fallen upon hard times and need to feed themselves whilst they get back on their feet. They haven't necessarily failed at life unless they let their situation do that to them, and they most certainly haven't decided to take an "easy life". They deserve just as much respect as any other human being, and sometimes even more.

I don't think that people using food banks is a sad reflection on our society - if anything it's a symbol that we're willing to help others. However, it is a sad reflection on our society that people often struggle to have the self-confidence, skills, and qualifications to actually get to a position where they are no longer reliant upon a food bank to feed themselves.
ofc theres a stigma, but there shouldnt be. Its just people fallen on hard times and they need an extra hand.
Benefits sanctions, someone lost their job etc.
Of course there is sadly, a lot of people in our society looks down on anyone who they don't deem fit enough or successful enough. Let me tell you though I volunteered at a homeless shelter last year and I came across a man who used to have a very well paying job in the city. He became redundant, couldn't pay off his mortgages, his partner left him and because of some other circumstances he became homeless and resorted to food banks. I don't think anyone should ever consider themselves immune from poverty, it can happen to anyone
I'm guessing this is the British equivalent of a soup kitchen? Then it's as @Pinkberry_y said, it's not something anyone sets out in life to "achieve". You never know where the people there are coming from or what circumstance they went through so if that's what they need to do to survive, it's beyond unfortunate but not for me to judge them
I agree with what you've said!
They shouldn't have to use them but they have no choice but to so!
The government needs to sort this country out! And fast!
The problem isn't really the economy. It is that food inflation has been massive. In the past 10 years my Freddo bar has gone from 10p to 25p. So food inflation and benefit cuts. I don't see them a scrounger or anything, I just think they are choosing not to spend their money on food, when they could get it cheaper. As when people have less money they need to choose what they spend it. For heating and electric they can't get charity, but for food they can. So it is people choosing to do it. I don't see the rise in food banks as a terrible disaster or indictment of the nation or whatever. It happens when the government can't provide something which people need. As the government is in a very bad way with all the debt and deficit.
Of course there is sadly, a lot of people in our society looks down on anyone who they don't deem fit enough or successful enough. Let me tell you though I volunteered at a homeless shelter last year and I came across a man who used to have a very well paying job in the city. He became redundant, couldn't pay off his mortgages, his partner left him and because of some other circumstances he became homeless and resorted to food banks. I don't think anyone should ever consider themselves immune from poverty, it can happen to anyone

Which homeless shelter was it at? I've donated to the Salvation Army before but I've never volunteered myself although one of my old RS teachers in high school used to give out dinners to homeless people which I think is amazing. You too aswell obviously :smile:

That's so sad :frown: Do you know what happened to him?
Original post by alexschmalex
I'm guessing this is the British equivalent of a soup kitchen? Then it's as @Pinkberry_y said, it's not something anyone sets out in life to "achieve". You never know where the people there are coming from or what circumstance they went through so if that's what they need to do to survive, it's beyond unfortunate but not for me to judge them

Yes basically although as I understand it in the UK you need to be referred by your GP to use a food bank. I don't know the situation in other countries
Reply 13
No they are no scroungers, because some people who work use foodbanks. Imo this shouldn't be happening in a rich country like ours
it is sad that they have to rely on handouts as a result of chronic mismanagement of our country's affairs by Labor governments.
Original post by Jee1
No they are no scroungers, because some people who work use foodbanks. Imo this shouldn't be happening in a rich country like ours

My opinion exactly. It's disgraceful.

Original post by the bear
it is sad that they have to rely on handouts as a result of chronic mismanagement of our country's affairs by Labor governments.

I agree that the problem with our budget has been caused by Labour which the Tories then have had to attempt to rectify and gotten all the stick for.
I dorm really have an opinion on them. If that's what they want to/have to do, then that's their thing.
Unfortunate circumstances because of Labour policies making people dependent on welfare, then told to work and they won't so benefits are reduced/stopped hence SOME of them at food banks. I said SOME not all. Some are poor sadly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's disgraceful that anyone should need to use one in this day and age. It'll only get worse the longer the Tories are in power for.
It was the local homeless connection in my town, I did it during November-January as during the winter months they need the most help usually. I'd really recommend it for anyone to volunteer or help out at a shelter if they ever get a chance to because it can change your perspective on things I think.
The homeless shelter had a limit of 28 days someone could stay (for most cases) so they were trying to find him accommodation to go into and he moved to YMCA and was going to try and find another job. I honestly think the middle aged men draw the shortest straw though when it comes to being given council housing or social housing. Priority often goes to those with children and women from what I saw

Quick Reply

Latest