The Student Room Group

moving out with 1 weeks notice--what's essential

Hi, due to familial tensions (to put it nicely) i have been forced to move out with under a weeks' notice.

i was wondering if anyone could please let me know what the essentials were for them when they moved into uni? im really stressed about it and i think it's affecting my ability to think clearly. i wont be allowed to come back home after i leave either, which i think is adding to my stress. also finances. but that's for a different post.

thank you to everyone in advance, i really appreciate it!
Hi there, here are some of my packing essentials for moving to University for the first time:

Kitchen
-Drying rack
-Tupperware for lunches and meal prepping
-It is likely you will not need to bring most kitchen equipment (e.g. toaster/kettle), if this is not provided often flatmates will fund this collectively.
-Basic cooking and eating utensils
-A few plates, bowls and glasses (just in case any get broken)
-At least one sharp knife for food preparation
-Kitchen scissors
-Baking tray (especially for cooking frozen foods)
-Antibacterial kitchen spray
-(if not provided) Dustpan and brush/broom

Bathroom
-Bathroom spray and limescale remover
-Hand soap
-Sponges

Bedroom
-Clothes Hangers
-Laundry basket
-Slides/shoes to wear around your accommodation (communal areas can become unclean)
-Mattress protector
-Extra storage boxes (under-bed ones are more space-efficient)
-Basic medical provisions (e.g. plasters, paracetamol/ibuprofen)

For more essentials, please see the Save the Student ‘What to take to Uni’ Checklist for inspiration: https://www.savethestudent.org/downloads/WhatToTakeToUniChecklist.pdf

I hope this is helpful and please let us know if you have any more questions as we'd be happy to help! Beth (Student at the University of Bath)
Original post by University of Bath
Hi there, here are some of my packing essentials for moving to University for the first time:

Kitchen
-Drying rack
-Tupperware for lunches and meal prepping
-It is likely you will not need to bring most kitchen equipment (e.g. toaster/kettle), if this is not provided often flatmates will fund this collectively.
-Basic cooking and eating utensils
-A few plates, bowls and glasses (just in case any get broken)
-At least one sharp knife for food preparation
-Kitchen scissors
-Baking tray (especially for cooking frozen foods)
-Antibacterial kitchen spray
-(if not provided) Dustpan and brush/broom

Bathroom
-Bathroom spray and limescale remover
-Hand soap
-Sponges

Bedroom
-Clothes Hangers
-Laundry basket
-Slides/shoes to wear around your accommodation (communal areas can become unclean)
-Mattress protector
-Extra storage boxes (under-bed ones are more space-efficient)
-Basic medical provisions (e.g. plasters, paracetamol/ibuprofen)

For more essentials, please see the Save the Student ‘What to take to Uni’ Checklist for inspiration: https://www.savethestudent.org/downloads/WhatToTakeToUniChecklist.pdf

I hope this is helpful and please let us know if you have any more questions as we'd be happy to help! Beth (Student at the University of Bath)

thank you so much! i appreciate it :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by cherryblossomed
Hi, due to familial tensions (to put it nicely) i have been forced to move out with under a weeks' notice.

i was wondering if anyone could please let me know what the essentials were for them when they moved into uni? im really stressed about it and i think it's affecting my ability to think clearly. i wont be allowed to come back home after i leave either, which i think is adding to my stress. also finances. but that's for a different post.

thank you to everyone in advance, i really appreciate it!

Won't be allowed back at all? Ever?

Identity documents: passport, driving licence, birth certificate, national insurance number
Health information: repeat prescriptions, supplies of any medication you take, NHS number
Financial: bank cards, cheque book, paying-in book (if you have them)
Education: GCSE/A-level, etc, certificates.

Make sure you have the usernames/passwords for anything online; and the two-factor device if you need that.

Electronic devices: laptop/notebook/tablet, mobile phone. Any chargers/charging cables you need.
Original post by martin7
Won't be allowed back at all? Ever?

Identity documents: passport, driving licence, birth certificate, national insurance number
Health information: repeat prescriptions, supplies of any medication you take, NHS number
Financial: bank cards, cheque book, paying-in book (if you have them)
Education: GCSE/A-level, etc, certificates.

Make sure you have the usernames/passwords for anything online; and the two-factor device if you need that.

Electronic devices: laptop/notebook/tablet, mobile phone. Any chargers/charging cables you need.

yeah most likely not allowed back ever. its a very long story.

thank you so much for the list, i completely forgot about my gcse certificates and my passport.
I'm very sorry to hear this situation. Without knowing much about your situation, I'd recommend contacting a charity such as www.childline.org.uk , who might be able to help you. These sort of things are right up their alley. But now onto the topic at hand:

@University of Bath provides a nice list but I'd like to say that all of those things you'll need but they shouldn't necessarily be your priority of things to bring with you, since they are mostly readily available and you'll have no problem acquiring them once you have moved out - do bring these things with you if you can though. Clothes are the things you should prioritise from that list, as well as the most expensive items that will last the longest - cutlery, plates, and other assorted cooking utensils. Also bring medicines with you if possible. All the soap and cleaning products should be the last things you pack, if you have space. Getting storage boxes without knowing where exactly you'll live yet is in my opinion a bit silly so I'd hold off on those yet - you might not even need them at all. @martin7 names what should be your top priority in packing items.

UCAS provides a nice list of things to pack for university. And since you might never return again, you should also bring with you items of sentimental value. I'm talking books, jewellery, letters, postcards, gifts, trinkets... or literally anything else that you want to keep for the rest of your life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending