The Student Room Group

Social work degree apprenticeship

Hey guys,

I have applied for the SWDA through my employer and have been shortlisted to go to Warwick uni for the assessment day/interview.

I was just wondering what I should expect? I’ve never been to an assessment day before so I’m really nervous!

I don’t know if it is different because it is funded by my employer and they have already interviewed me prior to the uni interview.

One thing I was a bit unsure of is on Google it says one of the questions may be “have you or your family ever had input from social workers”. I’m a bit uncomfortable with this one because as a child I did (briefly and not anything to do with neglect/abuse caused by parents) but it’s quite a sensitive subject and would prefer not to go into something so personal with strangers (especially because I’m not guaranteed a place anyway so would be weird for them to want such personal details). Has anyone had this question and did you find it easy to answer/did it affect your eligibility for the course?

Any info about the interviews as a whole would be great if anyone can :smile:

Thanks in advance!!
Original post by CMF5663
Hey guys,
I have applied for the SWDA through my employer and have been shortlisted to go to Warwick uni for the assessment day/interview.
I was just wondering what I should expect? I’ve never been to an assessment day before so I’m really nervous!
I don’t know if it is different because it is funded by my employer and they have already interviewed me prior to the uni interview.
One thing I was a bit unsure of is on Google it says one of the questions may be “have you or your family ever had input from social workers”. I’m a bit uncomfortable with this one because as a child I did (briefly and not anything to do with neglect/abuse caused by parents) but it’s quite a sensitive subject and would prefer not to go into something so personal with strangers (especially because I’m not guaranteed a place anyway so would be weird for them to want such personal details). Has anyone had this question and did you find it easy to answer/did it affect your eligibility for the course?
Any info about the interviews as a whole would be great if anyone can :smile:
Thanks in advance!!

Hi.
Firstly, congratulations on the apprenticeship and good luck for the interview.
They usually ask what made you choose to do social work. If you had social workers involved in your life at some point, please, don’t feel like you have to talk about that.
Being a social work apprentice myself, I learnt that 80% of social work students had these professionals involved in their lives and that’s what made them/ us get into SW degrees. No matter if we had good or bad experiences.
You can mention you had them involved in your life, but they will never put you in a vulnerable position where you have to talk about it. They are professionally trained to set boundaries and respect you too.

During your interview, talk about the fact you want social justice , advocate for others to empower them by making them feel in control of their own lives but with your help, to make their voices heard and needs meet. Protect them from harm and neglect. Mitigate discrimination and oppression. Change socially constructed ideas embedded in society that marginalise people / minority communities.

For my interview they ask questions related to specific situations. For example, what would you do and how could you help a young black person that was homeless . Sleeping rough in an area known by having substance misuse users (but the person was not a user) but marginalised and penalised because of stereotypes and stigma created by society. Laws that were not helpful in assisting this person because of lack of employment, opportunities or no connections to the area. What are the implications of no housing because of no local connections ? no benefits because they don’t have a bank account or a job? Having to ask for food in the streets but the public ignores this person begging for food/ fluid (basic needs).
Apply human rights knowledge and safeguarding to situation.

They also ask you so share an “interesting” case you have deal with at work or even in your personal life . What did you do to help? What were the resources ? What would you do differently if you had the change too?

I’m on my first year of the apprenticeship. If you ever need any clarification on how the apprenticeship works, I’m happy to share some thoughts .

Good luck 👏🏼
Also, they ask you about your skills that can help you as a social worker.
if you speak different languages or BSL- that can be helpful working with non-English speakers, breaking language / communication barriers. Especially, has England has a multicultural diversity.
If you have training or experience in working with neurodiversity/ knowledge in mental health/ older people/ babysitting how can you apply those skills in social work.
How do you work individually and as a Team ?
How do you manage stress or set boundaries in your own personal life ?
Hi.
Congratulations on passing onto the next step of the SW apprenticeship interview.

This written exame you have tomorrow is it part of the interview as well ?
I understand you’re nervous, especially not having a SW background. However, they focus more on the issues and areas you thought was interesting to talk about and perhaps you might have an idea on how you can help the person.

When the scenario is given to you, try to think “how would I feel if this was me? What would I want people to help me with? “ besides, the scenarios are very realistic concerns we see often in society . Issues that makes you want to become a Social worker and make a difference . Advocate and helping (vulnerable) people .

My written exame (400 words) in 30min was :

My video was about a young black homeless gay male
Family told him to leave their house because of his sexuality when he was 17.
He is now 18 and living in the streets. Sleeping at the park on a bench. Around him, there were people with substance misuse and drinking. It was not a safe place for him to be.

What are your thoughts on it?
Focus on the impact of being a black person. Young. Societies perception and social constructionism around that . Young.
What are the opportunities you can look into for this person and disadvantages of no involvement from community/ social services .
How could you support this person?
How do you feel about the situation ?
What was the impact on you ?
What does this person wants support with urgently? (Listen to them and give them the chance to express themselves and feel they have control and power over their lives and choices)
Helping them is safeguarding their life . Promoting rights and well-being . Inclusion and reintegration in society.

You could consider to refer and take him to a homeless shelter. Make a referral for suitable accommodation , looking into his own needs and his age.
Needs food and to be a safe place, with no risks of substance misuse around him or people trying to exploit him in any way of form .

Secondly, discuss his needs, risks and wishes . Being now 18y/o. We can assist in register with job centre for benefits claim. If he had a home address , he could apply for UC. Help him looking into jobs based on his experience , preference or suitability , considering his age, qualifications and help him getting a CV.

Also, look into mental health. Is he depressed ? How is he feeling after being rejected by the family ? Referral to Richmond fellowship for employment and hobbies. Stepping stones to occupy his time, meet new people and have peer support.
Share same hobbies with the group. That would build his confidence, promote integrity . Equal opportunities. Prevent any further discrimination and oppression - sexuality , race , age, social class….

Healthcare support - give advice and refer to GP for possible sexual screening. Health check ups because his diet might have been impacted whilst being homeless . Check bloods and ECG , any possible infections or malnutrition.

Charities - mentioned MIND, and LGBTQ+ agencies/ communities providing support . Clothes from charity and appropriate clothing / shoes Based on the weather .

Support network - offer assistance to liaise with family / friends , promoting relationships.
Offer regular consultation
I’m sure you’ll get this done easily. Just keep in mind you’ll be talking about a real life scenario. Don’t worry about the fact if it has to be academically written or not. Like I mentioned before , they want to see the impact the scenario has on you. How would you help the person/ family. Your academic writing skills , that will come after, once you start uni.

I’ve just found online some questions that they’ve asked me : https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/job-sectors/social-care/social-work-interview-questions

Describe a situation in which you handled a difficult or aggressive person. (Perhaps, you know someone who faced mental health issues, depression. How did you help this person? Maybe someone shouting at another person or even to yourself?)

(The Q&A gives you a bit of insight into what they look for.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending