The Student Room Group

Othello, please help and quick!

How does Iago present othello?

Why does Shakespeare introduce the enonomous character in this way?

I have notes and ideas but I have no idea how to answer the questions
They're not very clear questions, is there any more info? I assume they're talking about the fact that Iago describes Othello early on in the play (IIRC)?
Reply 2
Original post by wtfCharlie
They're not very clear questions, is there any more info? I assume they're talking about the fact that Iago describes Othello early on in the play (IIRC)?

Yes it is and yeah I know they arnt very clear. Those were the questions my teacher gave me and we have only been learning it for a week, I think I have done the first question by stating his feelings about the promotion. I really need help on the second question though.
Original post by Megganxox
Yes it is and yeah I know they arnt very clear. Those were the questions my teacher gave me and we have only been learning it for a week, I think I have done the first question by stating his feelings about the promotion. I really need help on the second question though.

OK, well think about the fact that Shakespeare uses someone else to introduce him. It gives us the idea that he's well-known, and also reinforces the idea that other people's opinions of him are ultimately more important than the truth. From there, I'd look at finding quotes by picking some things that Iago actually says about him and deconstructing them.
Reply 4
Original post by wtfCharlie
OK, well think about the fact that Shakespeare uses someone else to introduce him. It gives us the idea that he's well-known, and also reinforces the idea that other people's opinions of him are ultimately more important than the truth. From there, I'd look at finding quotes by picking some things that Iago actually says about him and deconstructing them.

Is that for the first or second question? Thank you for helping me by the way.
1.) Well if you remember line 90 in Act 1 Scene 1, Iago says "an old black ram is tupping your white ewe". This animal imagery is distinct and is intended to shock the audience and create a vivid visual picture which is insulting and discriminatory. When Iago told Brabantio this, the audience hadn't met Othello yet so the audience might have been inclined to mistrust him at first which is exactly Iago's intention.

2.) Not too sure, but as Othello is already a controversial character being an honest and noble 'moor' of rank, by presenting him in a way that goes with the stereotypes of blacks being savages and uncivilized helps shape his honorable character later.

Hope this helps
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest