The Student Room Group

AQA A Level English Literature A Paper 1 (7712/1) - 24 May 2023 [Exam Chat]

AQA A Level English Literature A Paper 1: (7712/1) - Wednesday 24th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Also, check out our article of student reactions to the exam - your comments on this thread might be on there!

Wishing you all the best of luck. :yy:

General Information
Date/Time: Wednesday 24th May 2023/ PM
Length: 3h

Resources
AQA A Level English Literature

How did it go guys?

(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

This exam is for the following topics and texts

Love Through the Ages
Othello
The Taming of the Shrew
Measure for Measure
The Winter's Tale

AQA anthology of love poetry through the ages pre-1900
AQA anthology of love poetry through the ages post-1900

Jane Austen Persuasion
Charlotte Brontë Jane Eyre
Emily Brontë Wuthering Heights
Kate Chopin The Awakening
Jonathan Coe The Rotters' Club
George Eliot The Mill on the Floss
Thomas Hardy Tess of the D’Urbervilles
F. Scott Fitzgerald The Great Gatsby
E.M. Forster A Room with a View
L.P. Hartley The Go-Between
Daphne Du Maurier Rebecca
Ian McEwan Atonement
(edited 11 months ago)
I am trying to write a comparison essay between a prose and two poems but I don't know how to structure my essay.
(edited 1 year ago)
this is what i do;

Intro
>main comparison point
>relate poems+ relate prose x3

main body
comparative section including;
>the first point you wrote in ur intro + PETER (point, evidence, technique, explanation, reader response)
> do one paragraph on this point for ur poems
> the another for your prose linking to this section point
x3

conclusion
use ur comparitive sections to prove the thesis you made in the intro :smile:

sorry this is confusing but hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Spectacularchief
I am trying to write a comparison essay between a prose and two poems but I don't know how to structure my essay.

Which exam paper is this relevant for by the way?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Evil Homer
Which exam paper is this relevant for by the way?

AQA A-level Literature A

Prose: The Great Gatsby
Poems: Love poetry through the ages
Original post by beefreya
this is what i do;

Intro
>main comparison point
>relate poems+ relate prose x3

main body
comparative section including;
>the first point you wrote in ur intro + PETER (point, evidence, technique, explanation, reader response)
> do one paragraph on this point for ur poems
> the another for your prose linking to this section point
x3

conclusion
use ur comparitive sections to prove the thesis you made in the intro :smile:

sorry this is confusing but hope this helps :smile:

Any chance you have an exemplar paragraph?
Original post by Spectacularchief
Any chance you have an exemplar paragraph?

here is a comparative section i did like last week on Dracula and The Little Stranger. The question was how is menace presented:

In TLS, the clear hierarchy of classes was breaking down after the war. The contrast between the life the Ayres had when Dr Faraday first visited as a child, and afterwards shows this breakdown of the class system. Faraday notices the “extraordinary amount of people” working at HH: a sign of their high-class lifestyle of having kitchen staff and servants. This would have been surprising for Dr Faraday as we know that his mother was friends with these kitchen staff, meaning they were of a lower class. Faraday creates an attachment to the house because of this experience; he wanted to “possess a piece” of the house, but in prying an acorn out the wall, it began crumbling, and the “imagined” lavish lifestyle he pictured, with the walls “made of marble” also crumbles with this. Using the word “imagined” represents how throughout the novel, Faraday becomes delusional because he clings attaches himself to this “imagined” lifestyle of the Ayres’. This moment is foreshadowing the decline of the class system itself, the “extraordinary” number of maids reduces into just Betty, and the house that Faraday “admired” was already falling apart. This plaster acorn symbolises the class system that was also collapsing at the time. Through this metaphor of the walls of hierarchy, we can see how Waters presents social change as a menace to the “admired” way of life that the Ayres had before the war.

Contrastingly, in Dracula the change happening in England was viewed as a benefit to society, for example the technological revolution in England helped the country to become a global powerhouse, with the British Empire spreading over many countries including India and parts of Africa. However, one place that this British science had not touched, was eastern Europe, namely Transylvania, and the menace that threatens the characters, is the danger of this unknown and less developed part of the world invading their revolutionised and scientific country. There is a contrast in technology between the two settings shows through the scientific way the protagonists defeat the danger and menace of the vampires; through the blood transfusions they carry out several times. The group uses the medical advancements that the Transylvanians wouldn’t have had to their advantage. Stoker used this technological advancement to convey to the reader his fears of these unknown countries and the safety of the science of England. Furthermore, the difference between science and superstition is also seen through the fear of the unknown at Castle Dracula and the area surrounding it. Jonathan is presented with ‘gifts,’ given to ward off the evil near Dracula’s Castle, these gifts portray the difference between Protestantism and Catholicism, as Catholics would use charms to ward off evil. This portrays Stoker’s beliefs that Catholicism is based in superstition, like the Transylvanians were also portrayed to be, in doing so sharing his views on Catholics. Jonathan immediately feels “uneasy” at these gifts, portraying the difference in the religion, and in the science of the two settings. This idolatry unknown presents itself as a menace and a sign of danger to the people of England and their safe technological way of life. In both texts the menace presents itself through the threat of invasion to their way of life, whether that is social change in TLS or the lack of social and scientific change in Dracula.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by beefreya
here is a comparative section i did like last week on Dracula and The Little Stranger. The question was how is menace presented:

In TLS, the clear hierarchy of classes was breaking down after the war. The contrast between the life the Ayres had when Dr Faraday first visited as a child, and afterwards shows this breakdown of the class system. Faraday notices the “extraordinary amount of people” working at HH: a sign of their high-class lifestyle of having kitchen staff and servants. This would have been surprising for Dr Faraday as we know that his mother was friends with these kitchen staff, meaning they were of a lower class. Faraday creates an attachment to the house because of this experience; he wanted to “possess a piece” of the house, but in prying an acorn out the wall, it began crumbling, and the “imagined” lavish lifestyle he pictured, with the walls “made of marble” also crumbles with this. Using the word “imagined” represents how throughout the novel, Faraday becomes delusional because he clings attaches himself to this “imagined” lifestyle of the Ayres’. This moment is foreshadowing the decline of the class system itself, the “extraordinary” number of maids reduces into just Betty, and the house that Faraday “admired” was already falling apart. This plaster acorn symbolises the class system that was also collapsing at the time. Through this metaphor of the walls of hierarchy, we can see how Waters presents social change as a menace to the “admired” way of life that the Ayres had before the war.

Contrastingly, in Dracula the change happening in England was viewed as a benefit to society, for example the technological revolution in England helped the country to become a global powerhouse, with the British Empire spreading over many countries including India and parts of Africa. However, one place that this British science had not touched, was eastern Europe, namely Transylvania, and the menace that threatens the characters, is the danger of this unknown and less developed part of the world invading their revolutionised and scientific country. There is a contrast in technology between the two settings shows through the scientific way the protagonists defeat the danger and menace of the vampires; through the blood transfusions they carry out several times. The group uses the medical advancements that the Transylvanians wouldn’t have had to their advantage. Stoker used this technological advancement to convey to the reader his fears of these unknown countries and the safety of the science of England. Furthermore, the difference between science and superstition is also seen through the fear of the unknown at Castle Dracula and the area surrounding it. Jonathan is presented with ‘gifts,’ given to ward off the evil near Dracula’s Castle, these gifts portray the difference between Protestantism and Catholicism, as Catholics would use charms to ward off evil. This portrays Stoker’s beliefs that Catholicism is based in superstition, like the Transylvanians were also portrayed to be, in doing so sharing his views on Catholics. Jonathan immediately feels “uneasy” at these gifts, portraying the difference in the religion, and in the science of the two settings. This idolatry unknown presents itself as a menace and a sign of danger to the people of England and their safe technological way of life. In both texts the menace presents itself through the threat of invasion to their way of life, whether that is social change in TLS or the lack of social and scientific change in Dracula.

Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Hello everyone :smile: Just to let you know, I have merged this thread with another to create the official exam thread for this paper :smile: Good luck with the revisions!
Reply 10
Hiya, does anyone who's studying Wuthering Heights and Othello have any predictions for the exam questions on the 24th?
Updated post #2 with a list of texts and topics :smile:
Reply 12
anyone doing the same texts?

Paper 1 - Winter's Tale, Wuthering Heights and post 1900 poetry
Paper 2 - Streetcar, The Help and Feminine Gospels
Original post by phiouebe
Hiya, does anyone who's studying Wuthering Heights and Othello have any predictions for the exam questions on the 24th?

My dream question for WH and the poetry would be unrequited love, but maybe it could be like obsessive love, destructive love or jealousy? For Othello, they haven't used the extract with Emilia and Desdemona yet but I've noticed for the Othello exam question it's typical a given view which is negative so I don't really know what they could say for that maybe women's loyalty to their husbands?
any predictions on the poetry/prose and Othello ?!
Original post by Fire dude
anyone doing the same texts?

Paper 1 - Winter's Tale, Wuthering Heights and post 1900 poetry
Paper 2 - Streetcar, The Help and Feminine Gospels

Similar!

Paper 1 - Othello, Wuthering Heights and post 1900 poetry
Paper 2 - Streetcar, Revolutionary Road and Feminine Gospels
Reply 16
Original post by lara_westwood
Similar!

Paper 1 - Othello, Wuthering Heights and post 1900 poetry
Paper 2 - Streetcar, Revolutionary Road and Feminine Gospels

woo! do you have any predictions/ questions you'll hope come up for Wuthering Heights and poetry? I just did a practice essay on violence which would be a gift but I doubt it'll come up sadly
apparently I'm a grade 8?
I'm not too sure
Anyone here doing the comedy section?

Specifically Twelfth Night, The Importance of Being Earnest and the Comedy Anthology?
Reply 19
Original post by M00nlightt
Hi!
I was just wondering if anybody (or anybody's teacher's) have any predictions for paper 1 this year?
Any help would be really appreciated :smile:

I'd also like to know some predictions. Did your teacher make any predictions, do you do love through the ages or tragedy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending